• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think a big issue with many shoes that are a little more out there is that they look better in stand alone pictures on the internet than on your feet with an outfit. 

I would apply this to a lot more than shoes. Its an important lesson that I think we have talked about. Buying things that you can actually use is better, though sometimes harder, than buying things that are pretty.

1.75, but I'm a short guy (5'9"). 

This. I am more likr 5'10 tho. At least thats what I tell myself.

You're welcome.

Good advice.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Interesting. I'm 6' and go with 2"...would you reco a little more for someone my height?

I think the reason shorter men can get away with the same cuff that taller men do is that the width of the pant leg is roughly the same for both.

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the 1.75" club, but it looks like I'm the shortest here so far at 5' 5" + double-leather soles :)

I cuff pretty much everything. I have a pair or two at 1.5" and 2", but 1.75" seems ideal to me. I like the 2", but the 1.5" looks too small … like, oh look at the little man with the wee cuffs ;)

jfrater

Reaction score

jfrater

since you have half their stock in hand :)

which ones are 5, 6, and 7? Is one the air force blue japanese wool/silk? They also have two blue donegals apparently, old and new. Natural light shot of those three a bit closer?

Cheers.

Here's a better photo in natural light.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are really nice ties, jfrater. If you ever think "I have too many ties, I should get rid of a few", I'd be willing to help you out. ;)

jfrater

Reaction score

Those are really nice ties, jfrater. If you ever think "I have too many ties, I should get rid of a few", I'd be willing to help you out. ;)

Haha thanks - I am still in the building process but I'll keep it in mind if I decide to cull :)

jfrater

Reaction score
Not the best photo but at the suggestion of you guys I now have my first pair of simple cap toe black oxfords. I have a pair in museum brown coming too. Both are G&G. Beautiful shoes to behold!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads