1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

damn, eve brushes are expensive

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  2. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

Sorry mine isn't a PTB but a capped blucher but the point was the last. I keep seeing pics of the Soller today (see Carmina thread) where there's a discussion about it being too pointy. Seems pretty rounded to me but maybe it's what you want?

3. EFV

EFV Well-Known Member

I really like this last:

http://www.carminashoemaker.com/mens-derby-shoes/plain-toe-blucher-531-brown

I would prefer a rubber sole though. Leather soles are not really congruent with the typical Swedish weather. Also, I think PTB:s look really good with dainite soles.

1 person likes this.
  4. dazedstate

dazedstate Well-Known Member

@EFV thank you for the suggestion. I will try that. Would charcoal trousers be too far off?

5. TweedyProf

I wouldn't sweat it if you like it. Fine, small patterns, grey and smooth cloth, flapped pockets tend to push you towards suiting. The overcheck helps But from your shot the jacket resolves more to a grey. But see the following from Vox posted recently. Similar in a way to yours though note the patch pockets and the color which is green! [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. TweedyProf

1 person likes this.
  7. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

Looks like a suit more than a jacket, and it's not even a close decision to me ... Also, the only similarity I see between this jacket and Vox's is the fact that both have an overcheck. Which is to say they aren't very similar at all, since a lot of jackets have overchecks.

8. heldentenor

heldentenor Well-Known Member

I've never seen a houndstooth suit with a multicolored overcheck.

1 person likes this.
  9. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

I've seen them in fabric books - never saw a RTW one, though.

1 person likes this.
  10. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

11. mdancel

mdancel Well-Known Member

Finally saved enough for my first SF suit. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this which is at a local shop. Thoughts? My next option would probably be a Suit Supply Napoli or York.

I[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Is that supposed to be a suit or a SC? Hard to judge a suit with no pants, and hard to be a SC (a worsted with flapped pockets)

13. mdancel

mdancel Well-Known Member

It's supposed to be a suit. I wasn't able to get a pic with the pants as I'm in between sizes. Waist of one and legs of another. They either have to let out a pair at the legs or take in a pair at the waist. Maybe I can go in and have them pin up the bigger waisted pants.

Any input on the fit of the shoulders and chest areas?

14. dazedstate

Thank you for your input. I may try with a couple different colors of trouser and make a decision afterward. I think you are right that it does lean toward suit but I may wear it anyway (just not around these parts lol).

15. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Well-Known Member

There are a couple things that prevent this jacket from standing on its own.

1) fabric (smooth worsted)
    2) pattern (muted plaid)
    3) details (flap pockets)

Casualise one or all three and you've got a winner.

2 people like this.
  16. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Well-Known Member

If it helps, this is the jacket TweedyProf referred to:

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  17. dazedstate

It does thank you. Beautiful coat.

18. EFV

EFV Well-Known Member

I had to go back and actually look at your jacket dazedstate. I think that beyond what UC listed above, the shoulders are a bit wide/strong. Nothing wrong with structured shoulders, but in this instance it adds to the suit jacket look. Do you still have the option of returning it? Otherwise I'd probably cut my losses and sell it on eBay and use the proceeds towards a new sport coat with these details:

- 3 roll 2 or 2 buttons
    - Patch pockets
    - Natural shoulders

In a versatile colour, such as blue, navy, brown or green.

1 person likes this.
  19. dazedstate

Thank you, I definitely agree with the structured shoulders. Even my suits have soft shoulders so it's not really my thing. Failed experiment but not a big deal. I'll sell it on eBay. Thank you to all who weighed in.

2 people like this.
  20. TweedyProf

TM79, I think if you look, you'll see that they both have overchecks over a check or check-like pattern. From a distance, they resolve in a similar way pattern wise: check over check. Of course, there is a world of difference between the jackets but since the OP brought up the strength of pattern, the contrast with Vox's is instructive: Vox's stronger pattern and striking seasonal colors.

@dazedstate

My advice is similar to the others: if you can, replace the jacket and generally avoid grey odd jackets in favor of blue or brown tones, looking for stronger patterns, casualizing elements like patch pockets, more textured fabrics etc. If you find a good grey odd jacket (like Urban's) then by all means go for it, but not for starters.

That said, we all live outside of SF and make clothing compromises when other's aren't looking. I have a navy suit orphan jacket that fits me well and use as an odd navy blazer. Some day, I'll find a better substitute, but I wear it happily and it looks nice, flapped pockets and dark buttons aside. If you like the way your jacket looks, wear it but just not on WAYWRN. [​IMG]

And you should still post fit pics with that jacket as that was your original question.

1 person likes this.