• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gennaro paone: former head tailor of rubinacci

koolbear

Reaction score
Some people sure love to bash Rubinacci here.
dozingoff.gif
Rubinacci costs the same as other "high-end" Savile Row tailors. I don't know why people give the brand such a hard-time for their prices. The showrooms on Mount Street and Via Chiaia are reason enough why their prices are not the same as other Neapolitan Houses. Sure, other Neapolitan Sartoria are much cheaper, but they do not offer the same calibre of service for the International customer. Answering the telephone, replying to emails, delivering on time, speaking English, travelling abroad regularly... These are important issues for the International customer. Liverano & LIverano charge a very similar price, but I do not see the same disdain for them here in this forum. I think the Rubinacci-ist attitude here is unfair.

C&A

Reaction score
Wonder why such a large and famous name seems afraid of a small name like paone and spends time posting such a long comment on instagram.

koolbear

Reaction score
Well if there was any question about whether or not there was a amiable break-up between Gennaro and the Rubinacci family, I think we have our answer. I asked Gennaro if he cut my jacket when I was in Naples, and he said he did. He was present at all of my 3 subsequent fittings. I wonder if Luca is telling some lies here.

lurker[1].gif

Last edited:

jedwards

Reaction score
Yeah sorry, but it would have been more gracious to just ignore Gennaro in this instance.

It just all looks a bit petty.

Either the man worked for X years as a senior bespoke tailor at Rubinacci or not. That is simply a plain fact which can not be disputed.
So to rewrite history or recast the guy as some sort of confused old 'seamstress' who just does quick hemming on trousers seems.... ungracious to say the least.

Since Rubinacci are clearly the bigger well known house, silence would have been the dignified response.

Lessons will be learnt.

C&A

Reaction score

Well if there was any question about whether or not there was a amiable break-up between Gennaro and the Rubinacci family, I think we have our answer.  I asked Gennaro if he cut my jacket when I was in Naples, and he said he did.  He was present at all of my 3 subsequent fittings.  I wonder if Luca is telling some lies here.

lurker%5B1%5D.gif

Well there was an amicable parting and these comments from luca both to mafoofan and on instagram are really surprising. According to gennaro, marianno actually asked him to stay and not leave more than once.

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wonder why such a large and famous name seems afraid of a small name like paone and spends time posting such a long comment on instagram.

That's on my instagram that Luca posted that comment. I've lost all respect for Luca, Gennaro was with Rubinacci for a long time now he comes out and calls him an old men that can't cut.

Last edited:

koolbear

Reaction score
Well there was an amicable parting and these comments from luca both to mafoofan and on instagram are really surprising. According to gennaro, marianno actually asked him to stay and not leave more than once.

Well perhaps Mariano has a more positive view of the situation than the younger Rubinacci.

I was in Naples in September 2014. From what Luca has said in his Instagram post, they assigned me the old and worn-out guy, who doesn't meet the high standards of Rubinacci.
rolleyes.gif

I'm a Doctor by trade. Gennaro walks around with a spring in his step. He is not frail at all. I think if he was too unwell to cut clothes for Rubinacci full-time, he wouldn't be catching flights to New York and Hong Kong.

Last edited:

Punt

Reaction score

It is funny, as whenever you talk to any tailor, they talk **** about the other. Anyway, if I would be Gennaro, I would be honored with this fantastic comment from Luca; as if Gennaro was really old and ****, he would never bother to comment :)

I have seen some absolutely stunning results from Gennaro, recently, so if that's something an old man can produce, I would indeed be a bit upset if I would be Luca.

With T4 assisting, I have only had positive experiences, with all he recommended, which are mainly no big names (or at least not used to be). So, I am really looking forward to meet end of this month, as I have already got some great fabrics waiting!!

PS. maybe we should let time tell and let pictures talk when some work will be showed?

jedwards

Reaction score
Who cares about his age?

Time worn tailoring hands are the best tailoring hands one can have.
They have seen every dropped shoulder, every strange curvature, every unbalanced physique one can imagine in their lifetime. That's an enormous plus point that younger tailors by and large have not yet had the experience of.

As long as the eyesight is fine, with glasses, and the hand steady this is all we can ask for.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who cares about his age?

Time worn tailoring hands are the best tailoring hands one can have.
They have seen every dropped shoulder, every strange curvature, every unbalanced physique one can imagine in their lifetime. That's an enormous plus point that younger tailors by and large have not yet had the experience of.

As long as the eyesight is fine, with glasses, and the hand steady this is all we can ask for.

A heartbeat away from losing your deposits/clothes.

Same argument was used against McCain/Palin in 2008 when many cited that Palin is one heartbeat away from being the El Presidente de Estado Unidos de America.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BracesoverBelts