• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Football Talk (that's soccer guys)

strazzaque

Reaction score
I've been through the wars, with my fellow Reds on ThisisAnfield.

A mouth-breather said I sounded like a Manc clown for saying Masch got what he deserved, only to be joined by others who view his actions as "passion."

Seriously, what is it about some fans who equate foul language and abuse to passion? The most common justification is that it's a "man's game, not _____"

Anyway, this morning sees Real Madrid offering 8 million quid plus Ruben de la Red for Xabi Alonso.

Is IBleedWhite around? He's the resident Merengue here, I believe. What do you make of Ruben, and is this a dodgy deal for us or you? ;p

Personally, I doubt Xabi would sign for Real, as this was something he had opposed earlier in his career. Barcelona would be a likelier destination.

Now, if the Blaugrana offered Krkic and 8 million quid ;p

water

Reaction score
The abuse of referees has gotten way too far out of hand. It seems a referee cannot look at his watch now without having four or five players screaming in his face.

Mascherano got exactly what he deserved. Ashley Cole did not. John Terry should receive a yellow every time he pulls his weekly stunts.

It has gotten to the point where some sort of "zero tolerance" rule should be brought in. A writer over at soccernet mentioned point deductions. You can pretty much guarantee none of these clowns would behave that way if they knew points would be deducted. As crazy as it sounds things are getting to the point where it should be considered.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Water,

Agreed 100%. Whatever happened to letting just your captain deal with the ref? Frankly I may be naive, but I thought that was the rule.

Was it Brazil where a lower league 'keeper punched a ref recently? Fans attack the officials. This is what happens when the players show no respect--it just escalates.

On a completely different note: The US beat Poland 3-0 in Krakow yesterday.

b

Guy Burgess

Reaction score
If you sin binned players, like in rugby, it would be an immediate consequence to their actions and in theory would stop a lot of this behaviour. My dad went to a talk by Howard Webb last year, and he was strongly in favour of these measures and mentioned trialing microphones (like in Rugby) but the language was too terrible for it to go to air.

I know referee's arehuman and make mistakes but the most irritating thing is the inconsistencies in rulings and I don't think FIFA have helped (look at the offside rule, it causes utter confusion week in, week out!) Prime example being the Ashley Cole thing, and Chelsea every week. You have to treat everyone equally otherwise the rules you try to enforce aren't worth the paper they are written on.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
one thing i've never liked about referees is that when a player(s) run up to them, they often walk away as if they are afraid of being assaulted. the referee should always stand his ground and if a player touches him, the ref should take out the red card. walking away diminishes the ref's authority.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
one thing i've never liked about referees is that when a player(s) run up to them, they often walk away as if they are afraid of being assaulted. the referee should always stand his ground and if a player touches him, the ref should take out the red card. walking away diminishes the ref's authority.

I'm not sure I agree that it takes away his authority. I think the intention is to say "I will not talk with you because my decision is final."

I do agree with an automatic red for touching the ref. In fact, I thought that was the rule.

b

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I'm not sure I agree that it takes away his authority. I think the intention is to say "I will not talk with you because my decision is final."

I do agree with an automatic red for touching the ref. In fact, I thought that was the rule.

b

i wasn't clear. i meant when the ref walks away quickly, and in a certain way which is not natural, as though he is letting the players' behavior effect his. you've seen it.

it's already the rule that you can't touch the ref. i would just like to see them more relaxed when the players crowd around them. you can see by their mannerisms that they often tense up.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleksandr
10 man Arsenal were amazing against Bolton.

That is all.

Against who??? For amazing read Utd's performance against Villa where they reopened a 6 point gap to Arsenal and +3 on goal difference!!!
devil.gif

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
Against who??? For amazing read Utd's performance against Villa where they reopened a 6 point gap to Arsenal and +3 on goal difference!!!
devil.gif

I watched the Ronaldo/Rooney/Tevez show out of the corner of my eye while suffering through our lacklustre performance in Sardegna....
plain.gif

millionaire75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
I watched the Ronaldo/Rooney/Tevez show out of the corner of my eye while suffering through our lacklustre performance in Sardegna....
plain.gif

Seriously...Roma threw away a golden chance to close the gap today....and Lazio should have won...the way Inter have been playing, the scudetto is still a reality for Roma I think...Inter have always had some essential ingredient missing....tons of talent but no team dynamic (probably due to the fact that they practically buy a whole new team every year). I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Roma.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A perfect result for us tonight. We had long periods without the ball but our attacking play was devastating. For all the Ronaldo doubters(based on one performance in the San Siro)just watch his header tonight. Phenomenal!!!
bounce2.gif

WN2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
For all the Ronaldo doubters(based on one performance in the San Siro)just watch his header tonight. Phenomenal!!!
bounce2.gif

Excellent run and header but it looked to me like he fouled the defender.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WN2
Excellent run and header but it looked to me like he fouled the defender.

it was clean goal. he gets to the ball first, then makes contact with the defender after the header.

strazzaque

Reaction score
Are any of you guys active on xperteleven? It's a football game, online, with an emphasis on coaching players. Very involving.

I've put together a Star Wars themed league. If any of you have a spot free in your quota look up league id: 149542

Here's my sales pitch:

--------------

Star Wars X11
League # 149542

Toneeba, tonyoba!

Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

And that's just your fellow scruffy x11 nerf herders!

Star Wars x11 is exactly that.

A league created a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away (not really, started last week in Sydney, Oz), based on the science fiction masterpiece many of us grew up on.

The basic rule is that teams must reference any of the 6 films (characters, places, ship names, et cetera)

My team is a Peace of Sith.
Your team could have a name like the Kessel Runners, Tattoine Parlours, Bantha Poodoos, Porkins Ejectors, Death Stars, Tusken Raiders, Salacious Crumbs and others.

Need a name, use the force.... Force Users? I can help if you're struggling for names, too.

And just like it was in Mos Eisley, anything goes, except for racial, age and gender abuse. Commit either and I'll find your lack of faith disturbing.

Alternatively, if you're not planning to make an effort and manage your team, you will be taken to the Dune Sea and cast into the pit of Carkoon, the nesting place of the all powerful Sarlacc.

In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly digested for a thousand years.

That, or you'll lose your team after a 2 week absence. Let the admin/assistant know if you're going to be away so we know not to inactivate you, please. ;]

Dirty Trix are ENABLED, seeing as there's a distinct good versus evil feel to this league.

Players from all species and skill levels are welcome- wookies, banthas, padawans, Jedi and Sith alike (and everyone else, even that Gungan tosser Jar-Jar Binks) We even welcome, and serve, droids.

One thing about wookies, though- please don't rip people's arms out of their sockets when you lose.

Press releases are encouraged and rivalries/ insults tolerated, provided you don't cross the line regarding abuse. Think back to the Cantina scene in Star Wars. It's not, "I'll be careful," but "You'll be dead!" (or inactivated)

English is the preferred language, but if you're comfortable in your native dialect, feel free to use that. Oota toota?

Game times will be organised to suit the largest constituency, UK users, even though I am in Oz. I'm keen to make times convenient for the greatest possible number of managers.

This venture is my first outing as league admin.

Obi Wan told me, "You've Taken Your First Step Into A Larger World."

I'm a conscientious and active manager, who's looking to grant every possible freedom to league managers.

I've created a stylish league banner, and the championship trophy looks like the Death Star, if you use your imagination.

I'd like to call the trophy, the "Master of Evil," in honour of Ben's dialogue with Darth Vader in Star Wars.

The league will function as a Republic, rather than the Empire, and there are assistant positions available. One has been filled by a Jawa named Bairdos.

If WE successfully attract as much rebel scum as possible, then in the words of Han Solo, "You're pretty good in a fight, we could use you."

Help me _____ you're my only hope.

There are many quotes from the film series to convince you to join, so think of your favourite one and tell everyone you know so we can get a senate sized league worthy of the Old Republic!

Utthini!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member