• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Night On The Line aka The Culinary Wonderment thread

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great post, man. Working in a professional kitchen is extremely TOUGH! For some reason many men think being a cook is a "Nancy" job... but it is truly far from it. It's sad that most people don't realize what is really like working at at restaurant.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting post with regards to being sick. Is cooking the one career where they actually tell you to stay away if you are sick? Most jobs make you feel guilty almost when you take a sick day.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Interesting post with regards to being sick. Is cooking the one career where they actually tell you to stay away if you are sick? Most jobs make you feel guilty almost when you take a sick day.

Maybe. It's possible. All I know is that I said I was sick, yeah, but I could come in if he wanted me, and he said that it wasn't a chance they could afford to take.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Um, I think not. I send people home, with disciplinary write ups if they are repeat offenders. Nothing like having someone with a bad cold sneeze on you, if you're in the middle of chemo or some other immuno-suppressive state.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Um, I think not. I send people home, with disciplinary write ups if they are repeat offenders. Nothing like having someone with a bad cold sneeze on you, if you're in the middle of chemo or some other immuno-suppressive state.

We know your real concern is teh aids. Anyway, my point is that a lot of businesses resent the sick days their employees take.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
We know your real concern is teh aids. Anyway, my point is that a lot of businesses resent the sick days their employees take.

Oh, I still make 'em feel guilty for getting sick. They just can't spray snot on our patients :p

tom288

Reaction score
You need to get well and get back in the kitchen, I'm starting to miss the updates. You could probably have a career in food writing as well, love your updates.

Saigon

Reaction score
Wow! I cant believe i just came across this thread!

Great experiences you've had so far, and its entertaining to read about them. How long does your schooling last? Do you receive a certification, or just come straight out of school into a job? Is there an apprenticeship program in the states for cooking?

BTW, does your chef modify the white soy at all for the hamachi amuse? I've heard its so light in body it had trouble bonding with things.

Get well soon and get back to it!

Cheers,
Saion

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saigon
Wow! I cant believe i just came across this thread!

Great experiences you've had so far, and its entertaining to read about them. How long does your schooling last? Do you receive a certification, or just come straight out of school into a job? Is there an apprenticeship program in the states for cooking?

BTW, does your chef modify the white soy at all for the hamachi amuse? I've heard its so light in body it had trouble bonding with things.

Get well soon and get back to it!

Cheers,
Saion

Thanks! I'm done in November. In August I go on a 3 month externship where I'll be until I graduate. The whole program is 15 months and it's an Associate's degree in Culinary Arts. There's sort of an apprenticeship program, but it's nowhere near as developed or common as in Europe or Asia.
IIRC, the hamachi amuse was just raw hamachi, salt and pepper and very fine chive rondelles, rubbed in a touch of the white soy, and then put into a ceramic spoon and garnished. So no real modification on the soy. White soy is amazing though.

Saigon

Reaction score
So the externship is basically a primer in the industry before they let you loose? Are you sort of ahead of your classmates because of securing the stage while you're still at school? Did you work in the industry before starting school or was the program your first exposure to the culinary arts?

Sorry for all the questions but im curious. My schooling consisted of a 12 month program, each month consisting of a different topic. In Canada, there is an apprenticeship program for trades including cooking. It involves either a 3 year apprenticeship under a chef holding whats called the Red Seal certification and then passing your exam, or one year at school, and then another two years of apprenticeship until you can challenge the exam.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Nope, no certification for Chefs here. Unless you count the CMC program where the testing is done by the CIA. But that's not exactly respected or believed in by everyone in the industry and it deals only in classical French cuisine.

But yeah the externship is pretty much a primer in foodservice. Gives people a chance to get some experience before graduating, but a lot of people are taking it as kind of a joke. Actually, a lot of people in my classes are taking the entire program as a joke. I'm definitely ahead of all my classmates because of the stage though. I hadn't done a lot of work in the industry beforehand. A few fast food places in high school, and some small town restaurants, but nothing on a serious culinary level. I feel like I'm in a pretty damn good place right now though. I was lucky to get the opportunity I got and I'm doing my best to make the most of it.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Nope, no certification for Chefs here. Unless you count the CMC program where the testing is done by the CIA. But that's not exactly respected or believed in by everyone in the industry and it deals only in classical French cuisine. But yeah the externship is pretty much a primer in foodservice. Gives people a chance to get some experience before graduating, but a lot of people are taking it as kind of a joke. Actually, a lot of people in my classes are taking the entire program as a joke. I'm definitely ahead of all my classmates because of the stage though. I hadn't done a lot of work in the industry beforehand. A few fast food places in high school, and some small town restaurants, but nothing on a serious culinary level. I feel like I'm in a pretty damn good place right now though. I was lucky to get the opportunity I got and I'm doing my best to make the most of it.
It's amazing to me that people would spend 40-50k on something and then waste it away. I guess it's not different than in any other field though. I'm always amazed at how little effort people put in to their work. The 80/20 rule seems to apply everywhere.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
K, you're not working this weekend? What's up with the stage?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Geek, it's pretty incredible. I'm also surprised people are spending 45k and trying to do their externships at Chipotle or something. Oh well I guess.
Originally Posted by Piobaire
K, you're not working this weekend? What's up with the stage?

They have some special event, only needed 4 people on staff. Chef told me no work this weekend, I didn't ask questions. Should I have asked to step in on it and get a feel for how the events go? Probably. But I'm enjoying not working.
laugh.gif

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So when do we get to see some of your own dishes?

K

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads