• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How old is your chain and cassette? May be time for new ones.

I sometimes get chain slippage when starting from a stop depending on the gear I’m in. My chain’s a bit long because I have a big climbing gear, so if I’m not paying attention to which gear I’m in, there can be a lot of slack.
Cassette is like 3.5 yrs/4k miles. I’ll have to ask my guy when he last swapped the chain. But it actually could be the chain length - - I’ve had some slippage here and there as well

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cassette is like 3.5 yrs/4k miles. I’ll have to ask my guy when he last swapped the chain. But it actually could be the chain length - - I’ve had some slippage here and there as well

3.5yrs.4K is a lot for a cassette. Even if you check/change the chain religiously, I'd be replacing the cassette about now. I use a chain checker often and tend to get 1000-1500mi out of a chain.

I've seen some people get half that. I don't ride a lot in wet/muddy conditions so mine tend to last a while.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3.5yrs.4K is a lot for a cassette. Even if you check/change the chain religiously, I'd be replacing the cassette about now. I use a chain checker often and tend to get 1000-1500mi out of a chain.

I've seen some people get half that. I don't ride a lot in wet/muddy conditions so mine tend to last a while.
My bikes typically get stolen before I wear out cassettes. Have to find silver linings where I can!

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you’re only getting 4,000 miles out of your cassettes, you might want to replace your chain more frequently.

Edit: maybe these newer ones aren’t meant to last. I’ve gone 10,000+ miles on cassettes before, but those were nine or ten speed ones.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are a number of aliens in the peloton at the moment

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_5347.jpeg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Even though I think the TT arms race is interesting from a tech perspective, I think the UCI should ban TT bikes and gear in favor of Mercx TTs. The bike manufacturers would probably be happy to save the money, too, because the market for a UCI-legal TT bike is vanishingly small.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I just read the article and saw the pics. That was serious. Yikes.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knocked out 30 miles on the Domane today trying to get started on building summer cycling mojo. Ended at the Tidal Basin and the Cherry Blossoms. Park Service is about to cut down almost 300 trees that are dying due to flooding. 2-3 year project to raise the walls and plant new trees. You can see the receding tide in one of the pics. Great day to be on the bike!

IMG_E8114.JPG IMG_E8116.JPG IMG_E8124.JPG IMG_E8125.JPG IMG_E8127.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads