• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't been tracking the PFAS issue that closely with athletic clothing. I know CA, CO, and NY have bans going into place next year. Is there a major cycling wear company that doesn't use them?

"Wicker got the idea for the book in 2019, when a radio producer called to ask if she could comment on a lawsuit filed by Delta employees against Land’s End alleging that the company’s uniforms were making them sick. “I’d heard nothing about fashion or textiles being toxic enough to affect people’s health,” she tells me. In fact, flight attendants at several major airlines were complaining of rashes, hair loss, fatigue, brain fog, heart palpitations, and breathing problems. “Their bodies would start shutting down,” she says. “They couldn’t work, and in some cases that completely ruined their lives.”

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I haven't been tracking the PFAS issue that closely with athletic clothing. I know CA, CO, and NY have bans going into place next year. Is there a major cycling wear company that doesn't use them?

"Wicker got the idea for the book in 2019, when a radio producer called to ask if she could comment on a lawsuit filed by Delta employees against Land’s End alleging that the company’s uniforms were making them sick. “I’d heard nothing about fashion or textiles being toxic enough to affect people’s health,” she tells me. In fact, flight attendants at several major airlines were complaining of rashes, hair loss, fatigue, brain fog, heart palpitations, and breathing problems. “Their bodies would start shutting down,” she says. “They couldn’t work, and in some cases that completely ruined their lives.”

I think all the major brands discontinued their products which used these chemicals last year.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_4761.jpeg

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably the best bang for buck road frame available right now, just picked up a white frameset since it was too good to pass up. Gonna be a backup/race/fast ride bike

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cracked my Alchemy again by the cable port so they made me an internally routed frame this time. Love how it turned out and really hope this is the one!

Also updated to a UDH hanger and T47 BB. Frame is 540mm stack, 390mm reach, 72.5 head tube, 73 seat tube

Screenshot 2024-02-03 135023.png

8slyLsN.jpeg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-03 135040.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-03 135040.png
    729 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have just about decided that my replacement gravel bike will be titanium. I will likely hem and haw over bespoke vs RTW, drivetrain, etc. for a couple more years. :)

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have just about decided that my replacement gravel bike will be titanium. I will likely hem and haw over bespoke vs RTW, drivetrain, etc. for a couple more years. :)

Steel is the acceptable answer.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steel by the sea seems a bit short-sighted. Plus I don't really have any nostalgia for the narrow-tube look.

If you’re going to get bored of your bike in ten years, you’re not going to have any problems.

Even then, there’s a spray you can spray into the tubes to keep rust away. Mine’s still going strong after nearly seventeen years, with many miles along the coast.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you’re going to get bored of your bike in ten years, you’re not going to have any problems.

Even then, there’s a spray you can spray into the tubes to keep rust away. Mine’s still going strong after nearly seventeen years, with many miles along the coast.
My intention is for this to be my last gravel bike. The one I have now I bought from my neighbor as a cheap way to get out on the trails, but it's at least a size too big, has a sub-optimal drivetrain, and weighs a ton. If it fit me, I would probably just upgrade the drivetrain/wheels and be done.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips diagnosing or fixing this type of issue:

My chain slaps or snags against something on the drivetrain, but only when I’m standing and putting the power down. I can’t troubleshoot the damn thing because the problem only occurs when I’m standing on the bike and cranking…so it’s impossible for me to put eyes on the drivetrain :mad2:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You’re clearly monstering it so hard you’re bending something. :) Seriously, though, start with checking your derailleur adjustments to make sure clearances aren’t too small. If that’s all good, I’d look for loose, cracked, or broken components. Including the frame.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah the derailleurs are the prime suspects but it’s frustrating just blindly adjusting them without knowing until later whether I’ve fixed it. Bottom bracket and pedals ok, not loose either. I may just take it to the bike shop and just take my roasting for being the guy with the weird noises :laugh:

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips diagnosing or fixing this type of issue:

My chain slaps or snags against something on the drivetrain, but only when I’m standing and putting the power down. I can’t troubleshoot the damn thing because the problem only occurs when I’m standing on the bike and cranking…so it’s impossible for me to put eyes on the drivetrain :mad2:
How old is your chain and cassette? May be time for new ones.

I sometimes get chain slippage when starting from a stop depending on the gear I’m in. My chain’s a bit long because I have a big climbing gear, so if I’m not paying attention to which gear I’m in, there can be a lot of slack.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads