• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

i am talking UK sizing not US

Rhetorical question (?): How long is a standard UK 11.5, for instance? Is the G&G 11.5 the same length as the EG 11.5? or the Lobb 11.5?

Where is the medial ball joint located on an extended toe 11.5 versus a more classically styled 11.5?

How about widths?

How long is a US 11.5? Where is the medial ball joint located on a Alden 11.5 versus an Allen Edmond 11.5?

I suspect that the correct answer is "no one knows." The answer is not out there.

Which makes all such comparisons meaningless.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ seriously? I had the Hayes in a UK11e and fit great. I am trying on the Wigmore in UK 11F and they are half a size small

There you go. I have a long arch - about a 10.5US, but the total foot length is about a 10 and I wear orthotics, so usually about a 10.25 in a shoe works and I round up or down depending on the variations amongst brand and model and last. Lately I've been having width probs. It keeps me quessing (and spending and selling).

Are the Wigmores too short or too snug?

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shouldn't the last be consistent across boots and shoes, at least below the ankle line?

p.s., I got a pair of boots at 10E, and they are half size too long with generous width.  I am 9G as measured by Tony (but feels 9F will probably work better). 9E works too but slightly tight across metatarsal...

It must be the construction and design of a boot v. a shoe that makes the diff. More volume around the arch?

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't the last be consistent across boots and shoes, at least below the ankle line?

p.s., I got a pair of boots at 10E, and they are half size too long with generous width.  I am 9G as measured by Tony (but feels 9F will probably work better). 9E works too but slightly tight across metatarsal...

It must be the construction and design of a boot v. a shoe that makes the diff. More volume around the arch?

I think there is some sort of construction difference. IME, I always take a half-size larger in a boot than I do in a shoe of the same brand and last, regardless of what that brand or last is.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That could be true. Size 10E boots takes some effort to slip in due to the unforgiving instep/arch volume but once the foot is in, the sizing is more than generous...

I think there is some sort of construction difference. IME, I always take a half-size larger in a boot than I do in a shoe of the same brand and last, regardless of what that brand or last is.

IME, 9E is slightly narrow, 9F is about right for shoes. 10E is definitely too long with heel slippage. At least for G&G.

Wilf

Reaction score
I agree - generally boots tend to me more generous in size once you manage to get them on. I'm usually a standard F side but I will go down to an E width fitting. However I think its hard to set a formula i.e obviously depends on the design of the boot as well as the other foot measurements.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

very clever

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks, i feel sick myself. They are a half size too small

OUCH! They are sick with teh sechs!

Is the next 1/2 size up available from BE? I'm sure they'll exchange them for you.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really like the new 2 eyelet style of the Uppinghams, they look so much better than the 3 eyelet Derwent/Fairmont/Wilshire (which I happened to own.....)

Very nice in an unexpected way.

Gdot, love the shoes. I'll echo the previous comments and say those turned out really well. For Carmina Jodphur is a MTO that is being organized in the Epaulet x Carmina thread. Hope to have it next spring

Very nice, gents.

beautiful!!
namor, im out of town and the people im staying by have some controls that block some images, i cant see them for now :(
ill check back later

Thank you all! I think they will ultimately be my favorite G&Gs.

I left them sitting in the box on my desk so they will still be in perfect shape when I get back from India next week. I'll do some 'proper' Appreciation then.

NAMOR - Thanks for the info on the Carmina boots in Navy shell. They are some special boots. quite tempting.
FRED49 - What was unexpected about the Uppinghams to you? I must admit I was a bit reluctant about them as I wasn't convinced that I was crazy about the detailing on the rear quarters. But upon having them in my hand I freely admit I was totally mistaken. They are beautiful and more understated than I thought they might be.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somebody needs to snap up that other pair in UK 9.5 right away. That is the lowest price I've ever seen on a new pair of G&Gs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads