• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Frank the sheep

Reaction score

Suede is notthat hard to maintain. Just use a suede brush after each wearing and clean with eg Omninettoyant from Saphir from time to time

Brush after each wear seams a little excessive. I brush mine when i need to but i agree that a suede cleaner is very good, i´ve used combishaum. Then i always spray the shoes with water repellent spray and this keeps the shoes very clean.

also, i heard from a local expert here once that suede is a very strong and durable leather. i think i heard that anyway.

My opinion is that suede is more durable than leather. I have used a pair of Loake Pimlico in dark brown suede for two winters and they still looks like new. I washed them ones every year and put new water repellent spray on them. This year i bought spray with the same color as the shoe and the result was great. The spray works very well and i have been caught in heavy rain a few times and the water just slips right of, no need to worry about water marks like you do on nice leather shoes.

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Brush after each wear seams a little excessive. I brush mine when i need to but i agree that a suede cleaner is very good, i´ve used combishaum. Then i always spray the shoes with water repellent spray and this keeps the shoes very clean.
My opinion is that suede is more durable than leather. I have used a pair of Loake Pimlico in dark brown suede for two winters and they still looks like new. I washed them ones every year and put new water repellent spray on them. This year i bought spray with the same color as the shoe and the result was great. The spray works very well and i have been caught in heavy rain a few times and the water just slips right of, no need to worry about water marks like you do on nice leather shoes.

[sigh] With all due respect, suede is leather.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

excellent info, thanks.

Sir F

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn I want to polish my G&G shoes, but I dont have the right stuff for it. Must buy some on monday.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

cmon, you know what he meant. ;)

Whether I did or didn't isn't the point. I'm conversant in things connected with leather and shoes to a greater degree than most people. I can guess. Not everyone can.

And that being said, the comparison of suede was made in a specific context...ie. contrasting the durability of suede to...to...well, to itself.

But more to the point, when you are giving advice to other people, generalities and misdirection seldom help.

And as an aside, cobblers are not shoemakers.

Last edited:

Stirling

Reaction score
Oh, it is? Thanks for clearing that out. This is the reason i visit SF, you learn sooo much everyday
smile.gif

Var inte en idiot.

Frank the sheep

Reaction score

Whether I did or didn't isn't the point. I'm conversant in things connected with leather and shoes to a greater degree than most people. I can guess. Not everyone can.
And that being said, the comparison of suede was made in a specific context...ie. contrasting the durability of suede to...to...well, to itself.
But more to the point, when you are giving advice to other people, generalities and misdirection seldom help.

Ok. Post one stated i used the wrong term, post two told me why it was wrong. Is the next post reveling the right word to use?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ok. Post one stated i used the wrong term, post two told me why it was wrong. Is the next post reveling the right word to use?

If you like....

In most cases..among reputable makers...suede is actually the flesh side of a full grain or top grain leather.

You could say something along the lines of "IMO, suede is more durable than top grain."

Which would be more or less true (and informative) depending upon how you define "durable."

As well as how you define "suede"...primarily because some "suedes" are actually splits and could not legitimately be described as more durable than full grain suedes, for the simple reason that the grainside (where most of the strength and density is) has gone missing.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

fair enough :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics