• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G33ks, New Netbooks Expected?

LordWanker

Reaction score
Office 2007 preloaded is highly unlikely. Unless you have a specific need for it, there are other open-source apps ( re: free ) that are compatible with Office 2007

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LordWanker
Office 2007 preloaded is highly unlikely. Unless you have a specific need for it, there are other open-source apps ( re: free ) that are compatible with Office 2007

Good thinking. Thanks.

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Most netbooks Ive found come preloaded with Microsoft works 9.0. Microsoft was running a $99 direct download of Office 2007 a few months ago, not for sure if its still there.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pio, wait a couple more months. The new Pinetrail chipsets are going to drop soon meaning better battery life and faster processors. The current crop of Atoms are weak weak weak and are only improved if you go with the ION graphics card. The new ones will be way better.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
Pio, wait a couple more months. The new Pinetrail chipsets are going to drop soon meaning better battery life and faster processors. The current crop of Atoms are weak weak weak and are only improved if you go with the ION graphics card. The new ones will be way better.

Thanks for the info. Any news on when they'll be dropping? For the Holiday season?

My wife wasn't quite sure why I wanted one on top of my huge Toshiba gaming notebook and home brew gaming desk top (and I don't game anymore). We were in CostCo Saturday, and she saw her first netbook IRL. Now she wants one too...on top of her normal laptop and desk top
laugh.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Thanks for the info. Any news on when they'll be dropping? For the Holiday season? My wife wasn't quite sure why I wanted one on top of my huge Toshiba gaming notebook and home brew gaming desk top (and I don't game anymore). We were in CostCo Saturday, and she saw her first netbook IRL. Now she wants one too...on top of her normal laptop and desk top
laugh.gif

It'll be in the first quarter of the new year. They'll be a significant upgrade over the current N270/80 chips.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
It'll be in the first quarter of the new year. They'll be a significant upgrade over the current N270/80 chips.

Crap. I wanted to bring netbooks on my Xmas vacation.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Crap. I wanted to bring netbooks on my Xmas vacation.
Well there's nothing wrong with the current chips. And you'll probably be able to scope out a few deals around xmas. That is, if the war doesn't kill it first.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Well there's nothing wrong with the current chips. And you'll probably be able to scope out a few deals around xmas. That is, if the war doesn't kill it first.

The War on Christmas will not affect my Xmas.

bapelolol

Reaction score
how about screen sizes.. when are are the next wave of 12.1-13.3" coming out? I know its creeping into ultra portable category but any ETA's ?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why do you need a netbook pio? When I was a student, having a small laptop was nice, but netbooks are pointless for me now. Either I'm at home/work and have a computer, or i know i'm going to need to do work when travelling, so I have my laptop. I wouldn't want to do real work on a netbook. I have an iPhone for just screwing around when i'm waiting for the subway or in the car. I can't ever see myself carrying a netbook everywhere, in which case, what's the point?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Why do you need a netbook pio? When I was a student, having a small laptop was nice, but netbooks are pointless for me now. Either I'm at home/work and have a computer, or i know i'm going to need to do work when travelling, so I have my laptop. I wouldn't want to do real work on a netbook. I have an iPhone for just screwing around when i'm waiting for the subway or in the car. I can't ever see myself carrying a netbook everywhere, in which case, what's the point?

Nice and small, great battery life. So travel, both business and personal, outside at home, etc. It looks perfect for dicking around when I don't want to lug my 10#, short battery life huge notebook around.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my Asus couple months ago, 11" screen, 9 hours battery, and weighs only 2.75 lb. Love it. I use it solely for travels. Perfect for trans-Atlantic flights, getting online via wifi at hotels, cafes. And I dump all the vacation photos from SD card into the netbook at the end of each day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads