• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Follow the rules in B&S

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is marsupialed. Context is kind of important, Fok.

If you want a special exception made, you may ask ahead of time. Unless you get a positive reply, you follow the rules. It's pretty simple. There are over 1.05MM unique viewers on this site every month, and thousands of posts a day, and we don't have the resources nor the inclination to ask "Why did you break the rules?" every time it's done.

It's like a speeding ticket. Context is not important. You were either speeding, or you were not. The rules are very simple, and are designed to make the B&S forum useful for both sellers and buyers. Prices, for example, are useful for buyers and sellers to gauge the going rate of an item.

Just read and follow the rules, and you'll be just fine.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This might sound stupid, and I don't think I'm guilty of it, but can it be assumed that it is currently safe to delete any information from an active listing that violates point #2?

Go ahead and edit that out.

These types of measures would not have to be taken if people took a couple of minutes to read the rules, or just follow them, instead of deciding that, for them, following the very simple rules would be "silly".

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Can we offer discount to non-paypal payment for goods? In the same manner many places offer a cash price to skirt credit card rules regarding the same thing.

Also, how long do we have to keep pictures that are hosted externally?

I just read through the rules. Are sellers not allowed to leave feedback for buyers?

Last edited:

MetManChris

Reaction score
It's like a speeding ticket. Context is not important. You were either speeding, or you were not. The rules are very simple, and are designed to make the B&S forum useful for both sellers and buyers. Prices, for example, are useful for buyers and sellers to gauge the going rate of an item.

Thats not even kind of how speeding tickets work dude. Speeding tickets have no repreve, no exceptions, and no appeals. Everyone who breaks the law gets a speeding ticket? Um... thats not how speeding tickets. Frankly, I can't imagine a worse analogy for you to use.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If you want a special exception made, you may ask ahead of time. Unless you get a positive reply, you follow the rules. It's pretty simple. There are over 1.05MM unique viewers on this site every month, and thousands of posts a day, and we don't have the resources nor the inclination to ask "Why did you break the rules?" every time it's done.
Just read and follow the rules, and you'll be just fine.

I don't really have a horse in this race, but the first speeding ticket I ever got was for doing 86 in a 75 somewhere in the middle of the wasteland south of boise. Nobody near me, no wind, no fog, no nothing. Cop was a dick the whole time. Context might not have been important to him, but I'll be damned if I ever put in a good word for Idaho traffic enforcement.

Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, there's gonna be a few disappointed people when they realise you can't actually cop Schneider cashmere blazers for $260 shipped worldwide (not advertising, item just sold).

Last edited:

flyindarkness

Reaction score
I don't post much, but I would just like to understand the reason behind some of the rules, and frankly I don't understand the reason behind some of them.

Speeding limit is there to protect the drivers so no one is racing and losing control of their vehicles and what not (also generate income for the government)

I understand you don't want to advertise your listing in a discussion thread, because it distracts from the discussion and it's like placing a bunch of free advertisements everywhere.

But if someone decides to close a for sale thread and not leave a trail behind, I really don't see what the big deal is... you want the market place to be user friendly but why clutter it with useless old info?

MetManChris

Reaction score
I don't really have a horse in this race, but the first speeding ticket I ever got was for doing 86 in a 75 somewhere in the middle of the wasteland south of boise. Nobody near me, no wind, no fog, no nothing. Cop was a dick the whole time. Context might not have been important to him, but I'll be damned if I ever put in a good word for Idaho traffic enforcement.

I didn't say there aren't dumb cops / cops on a quota out there. :) But context does often matter...

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

But if someone decides to close a for sale thread and not leave a trail behind, I really don't see what the big deal is... you want the market place to be user friendly but why clutter it with useless old info?

It's in the interest of all buyers and sellers to have prices kept intact. That way, they can more easily gauge the SF going rate for an item. (Usually lower than eBay, Yoox, but there's not always a similar item on Yoox or eBay)

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Can we offer discount to non-paypal payment for goods? In the same manner many places offer a cash price to skirt credit card rules regarding the same thing.
Also, how long do we have to keep pictures that are hosted externally?
I just read through the rules. Are sellers not allowed to leave feedback for buyers?

No, please do not offer discounts for non-paypal payment of goods. Actually, anyone who is caught skirting cc rules is right fucked. If a cc company (and once one does, the others will follow) gets wind of this, they will actually close the merchant's account with them, which usually severely decreases business. I'm not going to tell you what you can and cannot do privately, but please don't do anything that will get us into trouble.

You can take down pictures from external sites, of course. Our system will be able to cache a copy so that the listing is not rendered useless. Please do not actively delete photos though. If a listing is closed, simply close it.

Fair enough. On the other hand, it's something you know might be coming. To address the poster above you, I'm not sure what you don't understand about the analogy. Here is another one. If you parking in a no parking zone, you're taking your chances.

Well, there's gonna be a few disappointed people when they realise you can't actually cop Schneider cashmere blazers for $260 shipped worldwide (not advertising, item just sold).

Well, apparently sometimes you can. It's really about the secondary market. If someone searches B&S, they should be smart enough to know that the going rates are not for regular stores.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't post much, but I would just like to understand the reason behind some of the rules, and frankly I don't understand the reason behind some of them.
Speeding limit is there to protect the drivers so no one is racing and losing control of their vehicles and what not (also generate income for the government)
I understand you don't want to advertise your listing in a discussion thread, because it distracts from the discussion and it's like placing a bunch of free advertisements everywhere.

Fair enough. The primary reason is because it's not useless old information. Market history is very useful to both sellers and buyers.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

No, please do not offer discounts for non-paypal payment of goods. Actually, anyone who is caught skirting cc rules is right fucked. If a cc company (and once one does, the others will follow) gets wind of this, they will actually close the merchant's account with them, which usually severely decreases business. I'm not going to tell you what you can and cannot do privately, but please don't do anything that will get us into trouble.
You can take down pictures from external sites, of course. Our system will be able to cache a copy so that the listing is not rendered useless. Please do not actively delete photos though. If a listing is closed, simply close it.

I don't believe offering a "cash price" that is lower than a stated price is against CC regulations, while offering an additional charge for CC payment most certainly is. However, point noted.

Recently I've been just using img tags when posting my listings and putting in the imgur link rather than using your uploader because the classified post editor does not have the image icon so it's way more convenient. In this case, I'm not sure that you will have an image cached? Otherwise, a seller currently has to post the listing and then go in and edit it to add pictures in the body of the post. I have been deleting images from my imgur account after sold, but I haven't changed any of my classified listings (I think imgur still retains the copy for a while anyways... but who knows how long once you delete it).

And as primarily a seller, I prefer when market history isn't visible ;)

Last edited:

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Go ahead and edit that out.
These types of measures would not have to be taken if people took a couple of minutes to read the rules, or just follow them, instead of deciding that, for them, following the very simple rules would be "silly".

Oh I'm very familiar with the rules and haven't done that, but I saw the discrepancy between the two points and for some reason had to be annoying and bring it up. :embar:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feeling good this morning, so I am giving Dmash a reprieve, since it was his "deletes" that prompted this action. But, let no man say that they have not been warned. I honestly don't care if you are closing your listing to give the item to a dying man. Write that down. Do no delete. Read all the ******* rules. They are there for 2 reasons:

1) Allow the database to be a permanent record useful for both buyers and sellers.
2) Don't advertise anything that breaks the Terms of Use for another site, especially one that could murder us all in a week. We don't make a centavo when you guys are making money (yes, recouping your costs is making money, otherwise, it's a sunk cost.) We are not going to allow you to get us into trouble.

Cheers,

Fok.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
not to be a contrary dick, but what's the point of leaving up old selling information when it's impossible to find it through search? :(

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads