• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Folded Up Shirt Appreciation

Miguel Alvarez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Very cool.

But why do all you guys order so many white shirts? Out of my 35-40 shirts, I have just one white shirt.

The question ought to be: Why do all you guys order so many shirts?
laugh.gif

GHo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
i-NcBLXW3-XL.jpg

- B

wow, i like this. I'm buying those same shirts.... unfortunately, due to budget "constraints", mine will all be Polo Regent Custom Fit.
eh.gif

Taxler

Reaction score
Very cool.

But why do all you guys order so many white shirts? Out of my 35-40 shirts, I have just one white shirt.

Always have a few cleaned and pressed for unexpected formal occasions. White matches everything, so I keep a few in the office just in case I need to change. Also easy to travel with; don't need a different tie for every shirt. Add a few more in seasonal weights and fabrics. Even if you don't wear solid white often, 1 seems like too few.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vox,the light blue gingham is very nice,do you remember what fabric it is? Really liking those collars,have you disposed of RTW shirts?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
Always have a few cleaned and pressed for unexpected formal occasions. White matches everything, so I keep a few in the office just in case I need to change. Also easy to travel with; don't need a different tie for every shirt. Add a few more in seasonal weights and fabrics. Even if you don't wear solid white often, 1 seems like too few.

Its obvious I'm in the minority here, but even my one plain white gets little use - weddings, funerals, and the rare occasions when I wear windowpane or POW suits.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

- B

Very nice Bill - how's the fit?

...Out of my 35-40 shirts, I have just one white shirt.

This is the most absurd thing I have seen you say here. And I mean that in a good way.

Originally Posted by Miguel Alvarez
The question ought to be: Why do all you guys order so many shirts?
laugh.gif

Yup, but you shouldn't be talking.
lol8[1].gif

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't disposed of RTW shirts entirely yet. When I get a new batch of bespoke ones, though, about twice that number in RTW gets retired.

- B

This begs the question: any chance we can see some shots of your shirt collection?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I get a new batch of bespoke ones, though, about twice that number in RTW gets retired.

- B

I truly wish you would have a B&S thread one day. I mean that sincerely.

Originally Posted by Lonneker
Very nice Bill - how's the fit?

Silly rabbit, perfect, obviously. It reminds me of when someone asked which clothes he felt most comfortable in.

G

Griffindork

Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
did they tell you what the care instructions are?
wash or dry clean.

Generally they ask whether you plan to wash or dryclean your shirts, although I have no idea what adjustments are made depending on the answer. I have all my shirts washed and I was instructed that I should care for this no different than from my other charvet shirts - wash and some specific directions for ironing (always stretch the collar and cuffs slightly and have iron on the inside only).
A

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Checks and stripes are Acorn Grange, the whites are DJA Sea Island 120.

Plain white shirts are an essential option for evening, in my opinion, except in summer when daylight lasts later in non-tropical locations.

I haven't disposed of RTW shirts entirely yet. When I get a new batch of bespoke ones, though, about twice that number in RTW gets retired.

- B

those are some very nice shirts.

bullethead

Reaction score
Its obvious I'm in the minority here, but even my one plain white gets little use - weddings, funerals, and the rare occasions when I wear windowpane or POW suits.

+1. with a white OCB being the exception, i haven't worn a white shirt in a year.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Silly rabbit, perfect, obviously. It reminds me of when someone asked which clothes he felt most comfortable in.

Actually, I know he uses a few different makers so was wondering how the fit is he gets from them. And Vox delivers:

I can't imagine that the overall fit of my Dege & Skinner shirts, or the shape of the collar and how it stands on my neck, to be better. I get these very closely fitted, with darts in the back and high armholes. Comfort of the cut would be unforgiving of error or sample-to-sample inconsistency. These are the most comfortable shirts that I own. Robert Whittaker cuts an old school, exceptional shirt. It looks great. And he's great. I'm delighted.

As discussed in this thread and others, however, it is no secret that the English makers...the few remaining bespoke or native RTW makers...seem to have become content with compromises in the quality of the sewing. I've nudged things to be pretty good, but I have seen better even so. Will the way that the shirts are made affect anything practical, like durability? I don't know.

In return, however, their prices seem rather reasonable compared to well-known bespoke makers in other countries with a similar level of stylistic and fitting skills.

I am curious to see how my first batch of Napoli Su Misura shirts compare, particularly the collar since Mina Adamo had a theory about how the collar she designed landed on my collarbones...leading to a wider spread than what Whittaker makes for me.

- B

Many thanks Bill - very much looking forward to fit pics if you get the chance.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New haul from Peter Lee for the summer. Just got them out of luggage, so still in need of pressing.
IMG_0034.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads