• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foam Block While Benching

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
I have seen a couple of guys at the gym benching with what looks like a 2 inch foam block on their chest. They bring the bar down to the block as opposed to all the way down to their chest. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to doing this? At the very least it appears to limit ones range of motion that couple of inches but maybe it prevents the threat of over extension. Any advice from someone that know what the hell I am talking about would be appreciated.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that when you bring the bar all the way down to your chest you are involving your triceps more, which can be a bad thing when you are doing a chest exercise trying to isolate the pectorals. I could be wrong though.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I'm pretty sure that when you bring the bar all the way down to your chest you are involving your triceps more, which can be a bad thing when you are doing a chest exercise trying to isolate the pectorals. I could be wrong though.

You are.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So correct me....?

Invicta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BoomDiggs
I have seen a couple of guys at the gym benching with what looks like a 2 inch foam block on their chest. They bring the bar down to the block as opposed to all the way down to their chest. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to doing this? At the very least it appears to limit ones range of motion that couple of inches but maybe it prevents the threat of over extension. Any advice from someone that know what the hell I am talking about would be appreciated.

If you mean a foam pad like you would see on a smith machine or something like that, they may be doing "towel bench presses". It's just like a traditional bench except you "bounce" the weight off the pad. I would see guys do this at my old powerlifting gym, they said it helped them develop explosiveness and lockout strength. If I'm wrong I'm sure Why will let me know in short order.
sarcasm.gif

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knew a kid who broke a couple ribs bouncing weight that he couldn't handle. I'm not 100% sure on the power lifting thing, but I was always taught that bouncing was bad form for that exact reason.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the OP, it sounds like these guys were doing board presses but didn't have a wood block laying around so they used foam as an approximation.

Originally Posted by Johnny_5

You've got this backwards. Chest and shoulders in the lower half of the movement, triceps in the upper half. Functional anatomy. Also, benching does not isolate the pectorals, and is arguably not a chest exercise.

Originally Posted by HgaleK
I knew a kid who broke a couple ribs bouncing weight that he couldn't handle. I'm not 100% sure on the power lifting thing, but I was always taught that bouncing was bad form for that exact reason.

As why said, powerlifters use board presses to work through sticking points. It's not the same thing as some idiot kid bouncing the bar off his chest, which should not be done.

Mr. Caber

Reaction score
Us shot putters sometimes use a foam pad to work on explosiveness. Brian Oldfield (former WR holder and all around crazy man) used to fold up a mattress under his shirt and bounce 400 lbs off it.
worship.gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
I don't think you get how why works
sarcasm.gif

He does actually. Apparently, you have to ask.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Philosoph
You've got this backwards. Chest and shoulders in the lower half of the movement, triceps in the upper half. Functional anatomy. Also, benching does not isolate the pectorals, and is arguably not a chest exercise.

+1

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Caber
Brian Oldfield (former WR holder and all around crazy man) used to fold up a mattress under his shirt and bounce 400 lbs off it.
worship.gif

How do you fold a mattress and put it under your shirt?

I sometimes use the heads of my vanquished enemies to bounce a bar off my chest. They make a great squishy sound.

lefty

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philosoph
From the OP, it sounds like these guys were doing board presses but didn't have a wood block laying around so they used foam as an approximation. You've got this backwards. Chest and shoulders in the lower half of the movement, triceps in the upper half. Functional anatomy. Also, benching does not isolate the pectorals, and is arguably not a chest exercise. As why said, powerlifters use board presses to work through sticking points. It's not the same thing as some idiot kid bouncing the bar off his chest, which should not be done.
Yea. That is more or less why I don't use bar bells and do incline at a slight slope. To get away with less front deltoid involvement. Was not paying attention to what I was writing and had the muscles in each part of the movement mixed up.

capnpyro

Reaction score
I have bad shoulders as it is, from my (50yr old retired Army) friend who's had multiple shoulder surgeries he for years would go down to his chest on bench presses. Which apparently is bad for the shoulder, your elbows going past parallel with your body is putting extra pressure on your shoulders which is something I don't want, I stop about 4" from my chest for this reason. I'm sure someone will find a reason why this is the worst thing in the universe but I'll keep my shoulders intact since they're already sensitive to injury.

And on topic the board method makes a lot of sense and it's something I could see using in the future since I seem to have a couple sticking points

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by capnpyro
I have bad shoulders as it is, from my (50yr old retired Army) friend who's had multiple shoulder surgeries he for years would go down to his chest on bench presses. Which apparently is bad for the shoulder, your elbows going past parallel with your body is putting extra pressure on your shoulders which is something I don't want, I stop about 4" from my chest for this reason. I'm sure someone will find a reason why this is the worst thing in the universe but I'll keep my shoulders intact since they're already sensitive to injury.

And on topic the board method makes a lot of sense and it's something I could see using in the future since I seem to have a couple sticking points

It can be bad if you bench like a bodybuilder, with your elbows flared and bringing the bar to your mid/upper chest, usually done by people who are trying to get a chest workout. Instead, watch the guys who are good at benching - scapulae retracted and set, elbows in, bar to sternum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads