• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flashy socks

jester

Reaction score
I like very flashy socks.

But it is just so hard to find good ones. The only company I know that ever comes through is Missoni, but they usually only have a few designs per season, and they sell out quickly. And they're $50 a pair.

At most other places, the socks usually suck, for various reasons, including: they are ankle length (god, what human would wear such a thing?), they are cheesily printed, they are cheap cotton (as opposed to a nice textured weave, or good wool). Paul Smith suffers from the first of these. Sometimes Barney's has nice ones, but usually only one or two designs, and then that flat cotton thing. P**l S****t often has a decent selection of decent socks, but they're never quite flashy enough. Etro are certainly flashy, but are usually anklets.

Anyone? I've tried searching online, but have found only $3.95 novelty things. I can't be alone in this.

aybojs

Reaction score
They can be tricky to find since most department stores tend to offer only conservative patterns, but Pantherella has some nice, bold designs that are also of good quality. You might also want to try Polo, which offers pretty solid quality and a pretty reasonable price if you can find them on discount (which should not at all be hard to do).

Oh, and you don't have to do the **** thing to hide the mention of brand names; just make it easier on everyone and say it outright.

jester

Reaction score
Oh, sorry about that. I thought it was a thing for Paul Stuart, as I read some of the shoe-related threads and all of them asterisked out the name, so I assumed it was a site-wide custom.

I will look again at Pantherella. In the past I've never seen anything really nice from them (in the flashy mode, that is; the conservative ones are lovely).

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ben silver has some in their catalog that are, if not flashy, at least fairly colorful.

/andrew

coachvu

Reaction score
+1 for Ben Silver. Also, you can find flashy Polo socks on discount at their outlet shops as well as at Century 21. I just picked up a few pairs of wild Drake's socks at Saks Off 5th, marked down to $7.50 from $45/pair.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.duchamp.co.uk Disclaimer: I know nothing about Duchamp's quality or reputation, I just discovered them after browsing through the latest GQ magazine.

billiebob

Reaction score
Last year Saks had some Pantherella and Richard James wool socks (in bright horizontal stripes) for 8 bucks a pair. I've worn them more than 50 times per pair and they still look good. I expect they will blow them out again in January.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I picked up lime green, lilac and light blue w/ canary yellow striped socks at Marshall's a few days back. $1.99 per pair. Made in Italy by a company that starts with a G...can't recall what it is right now. Not Gallo, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads