• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fingerless Gloves?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'd wear them if I was worried about being able to quickly draw and shoot my pistol. Like if I were a spy assassin in Czechoslovakia tracking down the section chief who was making money on the side selling government secrets.

Otherwise I think they're pretty dumb.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Casey
Personally, I use my hands a lot and I don't like wearing gloves because I feel like the are sometimes constricting and prevent me from doing things like turning pages or digging for things in my bag. That is why I find convenience in fingerless gloves.

That's why I wear them. Easier to pull out my wallet for the bus pass, handle my mp3 player, read books waiting for the bus. It's LA, it doesn't get so cold to warrant full gloves. IF my fingertips get too cold, I put my hands in my hoodie/coat pockets. Not really difficult.

I got mine at the military surplus store.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when hands are cold and you still need to use fingers? i saw it used in a piano movie cuz the guy had cold fingers but still needed to practice

Jacques Cousteau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyliu52
when hands are cold and you still need to use fingers?

Outside, using an iPhone.

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel
That's why I wear them. Easier to pull out my wallet for the bus pass, handle my mp3 player, read books waiting for the bus. It's LA, it doesn't get so cold to warrant full gloves. IF my fingertips get too cold, I put my hands in my hoodie/coat pockets. Not really difficult.

I got mine at the military surplus store.

Exactly. +1

Curious_George

Reaction score
I don't understand them at all. Why would need gloves when it's not cold enough to cover your fingertips? If any part of your hand is going to get cold first it's your fingertips, so unless your a hobo warming your fingers above a flaming trash barrel they're completely impractical for truly cold weather. And if you're wearing gloves in moderately warm weather you probably look like a pretentious asshole.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think think gloves work better than fingerless (I have a pair of bamboo gloves that work perfectly as a thin and warm solution)

amnesiac

Reaction score
fingerless (hobo) gloves are functional when finger dexterity is still necessary. The aesthetic is definitely something specific and it'll evoke certain reactions as with anything you wear that's out of the ordinary.

Really though, I just like thinking about the name hobo gloves. I mean a hobo would've gotten hobo gloves, not because he cut off the fingertips to look cool, but because after years of hard wear, he wore the fingertips through. That's hardcore distressing. I personally wouldn't wear fingerless gloves unless I wore the fingers off myself
laugh.gif

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of pairs of fingerless gloves. One pair is too light to really keep my hands warm, the other is heavy and padded and works pretty well. Neither pair cost more than $20

I also bought some handmade wool armwarmers for $16 last year (see here) and these things are bad-ass. The insides are lined with fleece and they are REALLY warm. Also they don't have separate finger holes - just a thumb hold and a single large hole for all 4 fingers and that helps keep my hands warm too.

Reaction score
i am going to weigh in on this one.
i always get fingerless gloves.
making a fist keeps the fingertips warm, or just let them warm up in a pocket.
i insist on glove-fingerlessness because i take public transportation, so i am always having to fish my pass out of my pocket at a moment's notice, if say, my bus is coming down the street or whatnot. also, it is nice to be able to access keys, wallet, without having to remove the gloves.

scoon0224

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Curious_George
If any part of your hand is going to get cold first it's your fingertips
When it's just a little cold, keeping the hand warm is enough to keep the fingers warm. The blood going TO the fingers is kept warm, which is enough. Why do you think they make down vests?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Thank you.
You are welcome! I have had the convertible-type fingerless gloves with the mitten flap, but I find them too cumbersome and awkward (and they scream "ephebe"; one might as well attach them to your coat sleeves with yarn).

heyheyhey

Reaction score
I wore fingerless for the first time today, you're totally right. Its so much easier to get out your travel pass.

Reaction score
Brilliant!

Fingertips are like antennae; they play a big part in how I interface with all things exterior; why cover them? It would be like walking out the door with a pillowcase over the head. Or wearing a raincoat in the shower. Or watching television with the power off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads