• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Do you know that they stock it and what the pricing at the store is like compared to online? I can buy it and have it shipped to a VAT free place instead if I wait a few months since I am not in a hurry for it.

milw50717

Reaction score

Thanks. Do you know that they stock it and what the pricing at the store is like compared to online? I can buy it and have it shipped to a VAT free place instead if I wait a few months since I am not in a hurry for it.

Sorry, I'm across the pond. Get on the dog and give them a call.

Peter Parker

Reaction score
Hi, is this the Filson Tin Cloth Small Duffle Bag? I am considering it for a gym bag / weekender bag. How is the bag as a gym bag - is it a good size and light? I'm comparing this to the Filson Small Duffle Bag which is double the cost of the Tin Cloth. Are you familiar with that one, and any comments on the two? Thanks!

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I don't have experience with those, sorry.

I bought my 230, it was a bit less than £150. Medium field bag/briefcase was £200. Saw that in navy, and thought it looked great contrasted with the gold metal. Pity they didn't do the small field bag in that. If I get luggage from them in the future Id get it in navy.

I got the 230 in otter green. Looks good but found after that the button clasp to be off centre so I'm going to try get it changed. I'll post pictures after.

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also thought I'd ask while in at it, I've only had my 256 for less than a year, so I don't know much about maintenance, as mines pretty new. Is waxing and conditioning or otherwise using products on the bag as part of regular maintenance necessary or recommended? If so what products and method should I use?

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also thought I'd ask while in at it, I've only had my 256 for less than a year, so I don't know much about maintenance, as mines pretty new. Is waxing and conditioning or otherwise using products on the bag as part of regular maintenance necessary or recommended? If so what products and method should I use?

I would certainly treat the leather every so often. Obenauf's HDLP is the product of choice for many. That should keep the bag going for a while. After a few years and depending on use, you may want to apply some wax to the cotton twill.

Last edited:

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I be lazy and just use my shoe leather condition (reno)? =P I'll guess I'll just wax it when it feels necessary?

letsi

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just want to check in to see if anyone has similar issues.
I realized one of the shoulder attachments' leather on my 257 holding the brass D-rings for the leather strap has torn.

Pretty underwhelming for me, considering this is my second bag and I bought couple of more filson bags afterwards (other collection consisting of a 256, a 261, Lucky x Filson sportsman bag). I've only had this bag for the past 2 months and am quite surprised to see this happening.

Bought this from revolveclothing just this Mar... Unfortunately, I do not live in the States so I'm not going to be able to pop into any Filson shops anytime soon. Any advice would be appreciated... :slayer:

Last edited:

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do you live? If you take it to any Filson stores (London has one, and they confirmed) they will do repairs or replace it. You can send them in I'd say it's worth it.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can I be lazy and just use my shoe leather condition (reno)? =P I'll guess I'll just wax it when it feels necessary?

Saphir Renovateur is not a very good conditioner; I would suggest using Lexol conditioner or Obenauf's.

letsi

Reaction score

Where do you live? If you take it to any Filson stores (London has one, and they confirmed) they will do repairs or replace it. You can send them in I'd say it's worth it.

Thanks for the advice :) unfortunately I'm currently in Singapore and there's no retail stores for Filson over here :/

Kwaker

Reaction score

Hi Guys,

Just want to check in to see if anyone has similar issues.
I realized one of the shoulder attachments' leather on my 257 holding the brass D-rings for the leather strap has torn.

Pretty underwhelming for me, considering this is my second bag and I bought couple of more filson bags afterwards (other collection consisting of a 256, a 261, Lucky x Filson sportsman bag). I've only had this bag for the past 2 months and am quite surprised to see this happening.

Bought this from revolveclothing just this Mar... Unfortunately, I do not live in the States so I'm not going to be able to pop into any Filson shops anytime soon. Any advice would be appreciated... :slayer:

That's definitely a bad piece of leather.
I feel that your only option is to ship to Filson for repair or replacement.

LaymanX

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea when the Filson x Magnum bags will drop and what the stockists will be?

The details online are pretty vague... thanks!

letsi

Reaction score

That's definitely a bad piece of leather.
I feel that your only option is to ship to Filson for repair or replacement.

Just an update to whoever's interested, had a chat with the Revolveclothing guys. They'll be sending me a replacement bag :D
I know who's getting my money for my next shopping spree. Cheers :slayer:

milw50717

Reaction score

Just an update to whoever's interested, had a chat with the Revolveclothing guys. They'll be sending me a replacement bag :D
I know who's getting my money for my next shopping spree. Cheers :slayer:

Good to hear that Revolve sorted you out.

FWIW a decent cobbler (or other leather worker) could likely have replaced that section of leather. It really is just a bit of leather cut into shape, folded over for the D ring and then stitched into place. The hardest thing would have been to find matching leather.

Reminds me to condition all the leather on my bags.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics