1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Soletrane

Soletrane Well-Known Member

Mgrennier, I saw pics of the 48 hour and the Meridian duffles on Hank's Clothing website. The "48 hour" name confused me as it looks bigger than the "72 hour" briefcase until I saw that the 48 is a duffle. It seems to be made of lighter weight material (tin cloth?) than the Meridian which looks to be the regular twill with more leather detailing. In both cases, it seems they are steering towards very much a "weekender" or "carry-on" look and a step away from the more outdoorsman styling of the medium travel or regular duffles. Both look pretty nice and are priced at (or just above) about what I see for the better made, US sourced & manufactured waxed canvas "carryall".

However, my thinking is that at nearly 400 and 500 respectively for these two bags, personally I would be much more inclined to just get a medium duffle on an online sale or a power eBay seller for around half that price. Maybe get it in navy if I wanted a more urbane look. But yeah, if someone has the cash, I could see how these bags might scratch an itch not quite scratched by the current lineup.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  2. Principle

Principle Well-Known Member

I don't think that using your washing machine was the most gentle way to treat that bag. I too work in a bioengineering lab and more recently spilled some yogurt along the side (unrelated event). This proved to be too difficult to remove with a brush once it dried so I had to swallow my pride and wash the bag. I did this with some gentle soap in luke warm water and gently scrubbed the areas that needed it.

I eventually dried the bag in the sun, it has shrunk slightly, but looks much better without the stains.

One thing I noticed prior to washing was that the leather already felt dry and cracked. Any detergent will strip the oils in the leather, so it can be expected that it'll need some fresh oil and an overnight rest.

3. goatandtricycle

goatandtricycle Well-Known Member

I've just snagged a medium travel in Tan for £160. Is this a good deal? If was a total impulse buy

4. letsi

letsi Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  5. goatandtricycle

goatandtricycle Well-Known Member

Well I'd have to pay import tax and possibly delivery for the UK

6. letsi

letsi Well-Known Member

Then you have your answer :happy:

7. Soletrane

This is an excellent price even in the US (250USD). Those places that still have a few of these bags left usually sell at the MSRP of $325. With the recent exception noted of $199 in brown (the least popular color). Given the price of Filson I have seen in the UK, you made out very well.

8. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

PSA for those who live nearby or are visiting the Tanger Outlets in Rehoboth, DE. The Orvis outlet there has a 258 and medium duffle in navy. Don't remember the price of the 258, but the duffle is $220 and I think you can use a Tanger coupon for an extra 20% off.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

9. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

I finally got around to customizing my shoulder strap. I much prefer the older style non-padded version. However, I find it slips off my shoulder from time to time but it's still better than the padded version (IMO). Two of my Filson bags have the older shoulder pad (pictured below) and two have the newer padded style.

[​IMG]

I always liked this custom strap I found pictured earlier in this thread:

[​IMG]

I thought I'd combine the original 1" strap and make a larger shoulder pad, minus the padding. The leather I used is ~10oz English bridle, 10 1/2" long by 2 1/2" wide. The original is 8 1/2" long x 2 1/8" wide and a bit thinner.

My version & the original.

[​IMG]

Pictured on my ~8 yr old 256.

[​IMG]

Functionally, it works just as I'd hoped. The added width seems to help more than the length but it doesn't slip anymore. I bought enough leather to make a few and I already see some necessary changes. For instance, I'm afraid I didn't leave enough space between the oval punches. It may be a weak spot down the road (probably years down the road but it's en easy fix for the next version).

In the end, I'm happy with the result. It should also break in and become a bit more uniform in color over time. I'll add them to my other filson bags as well.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. milw50717

milw50717 Well-Known Member

That's pretty nice work. I think it makes quite a difference in the look over the padded versions.

BTW That must be the cleanest 8 year old bag I have ever seen. Hand clean with a brush every few months ?

11. patrick_b

Thanks for the kind words.

It's on the front seat of my car most days and I fly a few times a month. Guess I've been lucky, tan has stayed nice for all these years.

12. eksoderstrom

eksoderstrom New Member

Many of these old tan Filson bags look a lot lighter than the tan canvas I've seen in person and in more recent photos. Has the canvas color they use changed? I thought the tan was supposed to darken with age, not fade.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  13. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Well-Known Member

14. jeremyleediaz

jeremyleediaz Active Member

15. patrick_b

They all fade over time.

16. Soletrane

I would say tan - not knowing anything about your preferences or work environment. I personally would get navy because I work in a corporate work environment and the navy looks the most corporate to me. Others might choose black or brown for similar reasons.

17. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Well-Known Member

I'm leaning more towards the olive since the tan is a little louder(plan on using for work)

18. mgrennier

mgrennier Well-Known Member

Mr. Engineer. If you're up to for considering a black Original briefcase, I have one that I'm not using. It's only 8 months old and only received about 2 months of use (corporate environment). I ended up getting the larger 72 hour bag as my EDC.

I'll sell you the black one for cheap if you want it.
    I'm in St. Louis
    Mike

19. zola

zola Well-Known Member

who has pictures of the 70318 - the tan zippered tote bag - limited edition with tin cloth parts - in the wild?

20. kbui

kbui Member

@Zola I don't have the tan version, but the OG. I'm traveling with it on Wednesday and will provide you pics then if you still want/need.