• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Equus Leather - English Handstitched Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate and Review Thread

the_sulks

Reaction score
I wonder what kind of substance you use to dye your belts. I've got your tan belt. Honestly, the leather smells like trout or salmon. In fact, the light orange color of the belt reminds me of the color of these fishes.

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Rankin,
Can you tell me which model that is? Not sure if it is the west end?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Rankin,

That photo is a Stainless Steel West End - hope that helps!

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Are you serious? Why do they need to use fish?

I think he might have been joking ;-)

We don't dye any of the leathers ourselves - bridle leather is always dyed and finished at the tannery/curriers that make it. I'm quite certain there no fish in the dye though! The grease that makes bridle leather bridle leather always contains a certain amount cod liver oil - its a natural grease that all good bridle leather tanners use in my experience. It doesn't smell fishy though, nor does the leather, at least in my experience and I do work with it everyday! It just smells leathery really. If you want a really fragrant leather the Bakers Australian Nut smells amazing, to the degree I thought about making car air fresheners in a moment of weakness at one point..

Charlie

Rankiz

Reaction score
Yes, it's a Stainless Steel West End belt in Dark Havanna. The most versatile color, perfect for my first "high-end" belt.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Does the satin finish on the buckles last? Or will it get worn and shiny after a while?

Hi Robowarrior,

It'll last well, the metal is physically brushed with an abrasive wheel to make the satin marks. I can't see it wearing away for a number of years, though I guess it depends how hard its life is. If ever the satin degraded to the point an owner wanted the finish re-doing we can happily re-satin, the buckles are solid brass/stainless/nickel so we can re brush without worrying about a plated layer being damaged.

Hope that helps,

Charlie

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear Charlie,

I've got a question.

I'm the owner of #25/40 Styleforum belt.
Yesterday I went to see the football match Italy vs. Germany with my friends at our universities public viewing.
Unluckily not only our team lost to the Italians just as you Englishmen did, but also I sat in a rain shower which lasted for almost 3 hours.
I was literally soaked to the skin.
When I put off my pullover at home the disaster presented itself to my eye.
The belt lost a lot of color on its inside and dyed my white OCBD shirt brown/burgundy all around the waistline.
I have not done anything to the shirt aside from hanging it dry over night.
Do you think the color will go away with machine waching it at 30°C or should I treat it somehow differently?

Best,
Jan

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Jan,

That doesnt song good! I'd try to wash the item as hot as it will manage with a biological powder if poss and see how you get on. Ive never heard of the Bakers Aus Nut having colour issues so don't have any experience of washing its dye out - I'd imagine though that if it came out when soaking wet it'll then wash out in the washing machine again.

I'm very happy to follow up with Bakers for more help if you'd like me to, maybe PM me some photos if you like and I'd appreciate it if you let me know how you get on.

Charlie

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads