• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

You can buy brand new replacement cushions.

a lot of companies do this. I could go right to Cassina for new slip covers for my LC, or to Cappellini for a new cover on my bird chair.

of course, it's still a **** load of money.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

a lot of companies do this. I could go right to Cassina for new slip covers for my LC, or to Cappellini for a new cover on my bird chair.

of course, it's still a **** load of money.

I know, it was in terms of replacing the broken parts on the auction chairs.

WOODEN

Reaction score
I wish the forumites here wouldn't make so many accusations of being a troll for Rove. I was accused even though I gave evidence of using this name for years on other forums.

I think the best argument for Herman Miller, a company with a reputation as good as any, is that it's more likely the next artist will be ripped off if you support a company like Rove. Kickstarter is placing objects in the Museum of Modern Art store. I still look up to Barnes in his Philadelphia museum, where he arranged door hinges, locks and handles next to his great paintings. They're all art. And, whoever Rove is, a Rove isn't art.

It's hard to take seriously the opinions of some or all of you, even though I think at least one of you is well worth listening to.

I bought a red Womb chair because of Kubrick's 2001: it looks like the Djinn chair he paired with the Tulip coffee table. I just saw that the University of Chicago law school pairs them, too. Goes well with their architecture.

mljs54

Reaction score
Debating picking up the black/walnut from DWR right now. $3,875 at the moment before tax (15% off + free shipping on all HM). I wonder how much more I would save holding out buying a brand new one from a reputable dealer. Guessing a few hundred at most?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
find an architect or a designer of sorts, slip them a crisp $100 (or just get their card), and have them place the order for you via one of their dealers. Half off.

Hotel Guy

Reaction score
Broke down and bought a real one. My friend is an architect and got me 50% off of a black/walnut Herman Miller chair and I couldn't be happier. Once this thing gets broken in a bit it'll be perfect. A different friend also bought my replica off of me so it worked out great. He offered to get me the same discount on any other HM stuff so I definitley plan on taking him up on that.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Broke down and bought a real one. My friend is an architect and got me 50% off of a black/walnut Herman Miller chair and I couldn't be happier. Once this thing gets broken in a bit it'll be perfect. A different friend also bought my replica off of me so it worked out great. He offered to get me the same discount on any other HM stuff so I definitley plan on taking him up on that.

finally, advice is heeded in this thread. Lookin' good.

note that the 50% also applies to Magis (which is sold via Herman Miller). Most other brands are still good for 20-30% via an architect.

Last edited:

twistoffat

Reaction score

Well done and it looks magnificent if I may say so. Someone who finally realizes the merits of the real deal. :teach:

iHapa

Reaction score
Beautiful. I've just spent a couple hours reading through the thread and any inkling of getting an ELO repro has been thoroughly squashed :) Kudos to those who have shared their thoughts, time and insights. Very helpful.

Brittany Paris

Reaction score
So, I am totally resurrecting an old thread and my question isn't Eames lounge chair related but it is about the company that I bought my chair from. Not sure what my last update on the replacement cushion was, but I now have 3 replacement cushions that don't work for my chair. The last replacement cushion they special ordered with the closest leather to what I have. It took a few months and when I finally received it, it had a 2in blemish right in the center of the cushion. Like the cow had a huge scab that didn't heal. At that point, I didn't really care but when I tried to put it on my chair, I realized that the fastener configuration on the back was totally different from the chair. I wanted to cry. So, I got ahold of Rove and basically they said "my bad" and gave me a $250 credit that added on to the other $150 credit that I already had. I have jerry rigged the chair so that the cushion will fit, but it is loose and wiggles around.
I was stoked about the $400 credit though, and decided on a solid walnut wishbone chair. It took another 3 months and I received it a month ago. I looked it over and noticed a splinter on one of the front legs that someone tried to cover up with wood stain. (Which made it look even worse). Also, the legs had very obvious scarf joints with some kind of light colored wood like birch. They then used brown wood stain to try and cover it up. The chair isn't all bad, but it was advertised as solid walnut wood. So, I got ahold of Victor at Rove Concepts and he told me to wait a couple of weeks and he would get back to me. A month rolls by and I email him. He admitted that he went to Asia and looked at the chairs up close and noticed some defects but justified it by saying that they focused on the cording and the construction of the chair and some of the details were overlooked. He asked if I had suggestions on what could be done. I emailed back that they could send me another chair without blemishes and I would send this one back if they provided a shipping label. Today, a few days later, he says this:
Hi Brittany at this time I think the best way to go would be to bring the chair back to our warehouse and I can issue the full store credit back to you. If you are not happy with the overall wishbone finish maybe another item or accessory may work

Best,

Victor

At this point I am perplexed. He is making it sound like the splinter on my chair is just part of the finish. So I've been battling it out with him all day and am wondering, am I just too anal??? Should I be okay with a chair that looks like this?? I'll post pics. Please tell me what you think.

Brittany Paris

Reaction score
In the first photo, you can see that they tried to stain over the obvious scarf joint. The second photo, there is no stain on the light wood. Third photo is the splinter. Not sure what it is, it isn't a crack. But it's ugly and that's the first thing I notice when I look at the chair. I have sent Victor numerous photos of this splinter and he says he can't see it. Please, someone tell me they can see it? I feel like I'm going crazy over here. :/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 108 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads