• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving shoes and boat shoes

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dark brown is the original Sperry color, although it will show salt if it has dried without being rinsed. Mid brown (with honey-colored soles) is another option that often works well.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Would you gentlemen say that brown would be my safest bet for a moc or boat shoe? I don't really have the budget to buy multiple pairs, and I figure brown should be the most versatile? Darker brown likely shows dirt less, although I treat my shoes very well, so that may be a moot point.

Dark brown is the easiest color to wear for those styles.

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
I had a great pair of Gold Cups that gave me about eight years of good service. When they finally gave out two years ago I went shopping for another pair but was disappointed in the decline of leather quality..

I got screwed by this in back to back years. I bought my first pair of Gold Cups, in the original dark brown, 5-6 years ago. I loved them so it was an easy decision to buy a tan pair the following summer. The leather was much stiffer and the shoes far less comfortable. I didn't return them because I assumed they'd break in nicely eventually but they never did.

These days I rotate two camp mocs from Rancourt; Carolina Brown and Bulldog Tan. Absolutely love them.

Sdig14

Reaction score
So, if gold cups are getting some mixed reviews, is there a brand people like that is kind of middle or lower end as far as price range that's the best value?

I'm definitely getting a darker brown Rancourt or Quoddy, that's for sure, but I'd like to be able to get another pair so I don't have to wear them too much in the summer. Don't know that I can do 600US right now, so might have to get a 2nd pair in the Eastland or slightly higher range.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm definitely getting a darker brown Rancourt or Quoddy, that's for sure.

I havent owned Quoddy or Rancourt's boat shoes, but if they make them like their other mocs, know that Quoddy uses a foam padding for their insole, which makes them more comfortable immediately out of the box, but doesn't form that footbed like leather. I've also found that Quoddy's insoles come unglued easily, and have heard the same from other customers.

Rancourt uses a heavier Horween leather, which feels a bit more substantial on the foot.

But again, maybe they make their boat shoes differently. I've only owned their other styles.

FWIW, I think boat shoes, like mocs, look better beat up. Owning just one pair for summer might not be a bad idea, and it would give you an idea how often you wear the style. I bought a pair of Cucinelli boat shoes years ago cause I thought they looked nice in the window display. I've never worn them once.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, if gold cups are getting some mixed reviews, is there a brand people like that is kind of middle or lower end as far as price range that's the best value?

I'm definitely getting a darker brown Rancourt or Quoddy, that's for sure, but I'd like to be able to get another pair so I don't have to wear them too much in the summer. Don't know that I can do 600US right now, so might have to get a 2nd pair in the Eastland or slightly higher range.

For a back-up pair, Town View moccasins look pretty nice. No experience with their quality but I could have sworn that I've seen @dieworkwear do an article on them before. I keep meaning to buy a pair.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Timberlands still good? Used to be.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never saw this thread before (i dont get out of the AE thread much). My 2 cents -

1. Personally hate sperry. Regular sperry just feel lousy and uncomfortable, but goldcup uses an insert that takes up a lot of room. In the goldcup a 7D is too small for me but a 7.5D is too big. Regardless, i found the outsoles very thin and unsupportive.

2. Even though they are made in the DR, i have had fairly good luck with the AE Maritimes & Kirkwoods. Worth it for sub $125. And dont get green (notorious for color bleeding). The northland is so-so, not as well made, not built to hold up. The Ely isnt great either.

3. If you guys can find the polo RL tamworth or telford, these are the older AE boat shoes that should be the made in Maine versions. But note these are not cxl.

FONlx

Reaction score
One of the best boat shoes are Sebago's Docksides. They are great quality.

Brown colour is the best way to go, but there are other great choices..

You also have timberland's, not so good.

Here are mine:

PJ Tailors have awesome driving shoes.

IMG_8527.JPG

IMG_8528.JPG

IMG_8529.JPG

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone actually wear loafers while loafing?
Does anyone actually wear blazers while blazing?
Does anyone actually wear spectators while spectating?
Does anyone actually wear shorts while shorting?
Does anyone actually wear Shaggy Dogs while shagging a dog?
Does anyone actually wear camp mocs while camping?
Does anyone actually wear Norwegian split toes while splitting Norwegian toes?
Does anyone actually wear fatigues while fatiguing?
Does anyone actually wear peacoats while peeing on coats?
Does anyone actually wear sneakers while sneaking?
Does anyone actually wear correspondents while corresponding?
Does anyone actually wear chukkas while chucking?
Does anyone actually wear monk straps while strapping monks?
Does anyone actually wear cap toes while capping toes?
Does anyone actually wear scarves while scarfing?
Does anyone actually wear wholecuts while cutting holes?
Does anyone actually wear kilties while killing ties?
Does anyone actually wear pumps while pumping?
Does anyone actually wear brogues while being a bro?
Does anyone actually wear ropers while roping?
Does anyone actually wear longwings while longing for fried chicken wings?

Homework assignment for you -

If you enjoy treating your shell cordovan with a deer bone... (you gotta finish it)

Sdig14

Reaction score
Never saw this thread before (i dont get out of the AE thread much). My 2 cents -

1. Personally hate sperry. Regular sperry just feel lousy and uncomfortable, but goldcup uses an insert that takes up a lot of room. In the goldcup a 7D is too small for me but a 7.5D is too big. Regardless, i found the outsoles very thin and unsupportive.

2. Even though they are made in the DR, i have had fairly good luck with the AE Maritimes & Kirkwoods. Worth it for sub $125. And dont get green (notorious for color bleeding). The northland is so-so, not as well made, not built to hold up. The Ely isnt great either.

3. If you guys can find the polo RL tamworth or telford, these are the older AE boat shoes that should be the made in Maine versions. But note these are not cxl.
Where does one normally find the AE boat shoes on sale? For that price I don't think I would care if they were made in DR, since still quality materials and construction.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some of the Sperrys come in wide fittings, for those between sizes of the regular.

flvinny521

Reaction score
Where does one normally find the AE boat shoes on sale? For that price I don't think I would care if they were made in DR, since still quality materials and construction.

Maybe you'll get lucky and your size will be available on shoebank.com.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads