• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this suit fit well?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

luxetveritas

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! So it seems that the suit looks on the large side. Is it probably the waist or length? Because the shoulder pads line up exactly with my shoulders; if I stretch, my shoulders are actually visible on the sides.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback! So it seems that the suit looks on the large side. Is it probably the waist or length? Because the shoulder pads line up exactly with my shoulders; if I stretch, my shoulders are actually visible on the sides.

Oh really?

dsc00336p.jpg

Doesn't look like it to me.

calcoast

Reaction score
If your wearing the jacket put your shoulder up against a wall, if the jacket hits the wall before your actual shoulder does, its too big....

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If your wearing the jacket put your shoulder up against a wall, if the jacket hits the wall before your actual shoulder does, its too big....

This wrongly assumes a jacket's shoulder points should never exceed the wearer's.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me guess, you haven't altered this item? If you had it altered, don't go back to the person that altered the item. Also, it looks bad because it's black. I normally wouldn't say this. I don't think black is as bad as some users say it is here. However, this is an example where black looks bad... in a more conservative situation. In my opinion, black is fine for when a suit for going out, not for work. This is provided that the suit fits you really well, something lacking here.

I should also add that this suit is cut extremely conservative. That may be fine if you're going into politics or work in a conservative work environment. If you don't, try to look for something cut a bit more interestingly. I'm not talking about shiny silver suits or terribly fitting indochino cuts where the jacket sits well above your ass.

However, I have a feeling you're young and don't have a ton of money. Excuse my harsh critique. In light of this, just take it to a proper alterations tailor and get the sleeves lengthened, add a lot of waist suppression, clean up the back and get those trousers hemmed. You'll look better. Of course, there's only so much that can be done to make this suit look right on you.

Also, the reason why you think it feels tight is because the suit isn't the correct cut for your body type. As I said before, it may also be a size too large. I recommend looking at other makers/models of suits and trying something that fits well.

Take a look at Styleforum 101 for advice on suits too. The link is right under the banner.

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This wrongly assumes a jacket's shoulder points should never exceed the wearer's.
It is really a style choice, so is up to you if you want wider shoulders, but the rule is good for beginners as it will rarely be wrong except in the few cases where the wearer has unusually narrow shoulders and really needs a bit of extension, whereas an overly wide shoulder can very easily slip into caricature.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Can you elaborate?
All the SF group think that I have read dictates otherwise. Please explain the exceptions...

It is really a style choice, so is up to you if you want wider shoulders, but the rule is good for beginners as it will rarely be wrong except in the few cases where the wearer has unusually narrow shoulders and really needs a bit of extension, whereas an overly wide shoulder can very easily slip into caricature.

It's dangerous to assume a jacket doesn't fit right merely because you can feel some space between your own shoulder points and the jacket's. The assumption stems from backlash against poorly fitting, boxy jackets and "slim-fit" catch-phrase trend. As many men's fashion writers would have you believe, tighter and slimmer is always better. But that's not the case, as good fit has to do with shape and comfort, not anything so single-minded and blunt-headed.

As S.M. points out, shoulder extension is at least partially a style choice, and some extra extension may be needed on certain body types. So, when assessing fit through the shoulders, one should observe the shape bestowed and the level of comfort, ignoring the closeness of fit.

luxetveritas

Reaction score
Let me guess, you haven't altered this item? If you had it altered, don't go back to the person that altered the item. Also, it looks bad because it's black. I normally wouldn't say this. I don't think black is as bad as some users say it is here. However, this is an example where black looks bad... in a more conservative situation. In my opinion, black is fine for when a suit for going out, not for work. This is provided that the suit fits you really well, something lacking here.
I should also add that this suit is cut extremely conservative. That may be fine if you're going into politics or work in a conservative work environment. If you don't, try to look for something cut a bit more interestingly. I'm not talking about shiny silver suits or terribly fitting indochino cuts where the jacket sits well above your ass.
However, I have a feeling you're young and don't have a ton of money. Excuse my harsh critique. In light of this, just take it to a proper alterations tailor and get the sleeves lengthened, add a lot of waist suppression, clean up the back and get those trousers hemmed. You'll look better. Of course, there's only so much that can be done to make this suit look right on you.
Also, the reason why you think it feels tight is because the suit isn't the correct cut for your body type. As I said before, it may also be a size too large. I recommend looking at other makers/models of suits and trying something that fits well.
Take a look at Styleforum 101 for advice on suits too. The link is right under the banner.

Thanks for the help! No, I haven't altered it. Regarding the cut, this is supposed to be a "slim-cut" 36R from Calvin Klein. Are CK suits typically more conservative, or is it just the fit on me?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's dangerous to assume a jacket doesn't fit right merely because you can feel some space between your own shoulder points and the jacket's. The assumption stems from backlash against poorly fitting, boxy jackets and "slim-fit" catch-phrase trend. As many men's fashion writers would have you believe, tighter and slimmer is always better. But that's not the case, as good fit has to do with shape and comfort, not anything so single-minded and blunt-headed.
As S.M. points out, shoulder extension is at least partially a style choice, and some extra extension may be needed on certain body types. So, when assessing fit through the shoulders, one should observe the shape bestowed and the level of comfort, ignoring the closeness of fit.

That makes sense, thank you for elaborating.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads