• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone have a good tie that is "made in China"?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few "made in China" ties that seem okay. They're not the equals of, say, my Canali or Charvet ties, but I wear them on occasion and like to think I look pretty good. I hope I'm not deluding myself!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen Zara and M&S ties that are made in China. I haven't had the pleasure of trying them on though.

Edward

Reaction score
The good Chinese-made ties are made for export, probably with quality control involved, and quite probably labeled "maded in Italy" or somewhere else. I wouldn't be surprised if all your made in US, UK, and Italy were actually mostly made in China. When I visited China last year I found lots of stuff, often of good quality with famous foreign labels as well as cheap knockoffs. I've read that often factories will manufacture a contracted amount of goods for a foreign company, using their quality standards, and then do an overrun which they sell at a cheaper price and keep the profits. The overrun is illegal, but indistinguishable from the genuine article. Incidentally, I had previously bought some nice 3.5 inch Chinese-made ties from Zara but in China itself all the ties I saw were 4 inches and some 3.75 inches.

extempore

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward
Incidentally, I had previously bought some nice 3.5 inch Chinese-made ties from Zara but in China itself all the ties I saw were 4 inches and some 3.75 inches.
They seem to like their ties BIG in China - the few eBay sellers who sell silk ties direct from China don't ever go below 3.75".

billiebob

Reaction score
Tyrwhitt had made in china ties a couple of years ago. They were 7 fold and seemed very hefty with decent quality silk.

CharlestonBows

Reaction score
Originally Posted by billiebob
Tyrwhitt had made in china ties a couple of years ago. They were 7 fold and seemed very hefty with decent quality silk.

Most of the silks used in Italian ties come from China as it is. It's just the manner in which the silk is processed - in China, probably not as good as in Como - but it's still Chinese silk. (Something I've always found a little humorous, what with all the anti-Chinese speak nowadays). The big difference maker is in the interlinings, as was mentioned earlier.

There are a few really decent Chinese made ties, but they're not made by any one line or designer, they're made in a factory and then labeled by whoever buys the hundred dozen or so.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Chinese have lots of skillz.

They will make anything you pay them to make.

Chinese neckwear, like other clothing they make, has been mid to low quality.

But recall how Crit Rawlings, formerly of Oxxford, established a new hand tailored made in China clothing line that got great reviews here.

Anyone can do the same with ties, if they care to do so.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
He probably wears Brioni 99% of the time and Trump Clothes 1% of the time.

"The Donald J. Trump collection of suits, ties and dress shirts has been available for the last year at Macy's and other Federated department stores, a couple of hundred outlets in all. Terry J. Lundgren, the chief executive of Federated, has characterized the Trump apparel business as "an unbelievable runaway success." Mr. Trump doesn't design the clothes, he doesn't make them, and he doesn't spend a dime to promote them. And unlike most designers, he doesn't expend any effort trying to convince the American public that a billionaire, the keeper of Mar-a-Lago, the defender of capitalist culture, would dump his $5,000 Brioni suits in favor of his own $495 make. He wears his suits, which are produced for a royalty by a firm called Marcraft, but he also wears the other."

Now he can say that Donald Trump clothes are good enough for him ( with a a straight face ).

Here's the article. The Trump line has been a huge success. Given Trump's marketing savvy and the average guys knowledge of clothing, this is no surprise.

i think this article puffs the line up a bit.

If you asked me about donald trumps clothes, prior to me having any knowledge of clothes i would have said "junk", because that the was the first thing that came to mind when i looked it over in macys.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
i think this article puffs the line up a bit.

If you asked me about donald trumps clothes, prior to me having any knowledge of clothes i would have said "junk", because that the was the first thing that came to mind when i looked it over in macys.

It is junk.

But it doe sell.

Quote from the article:

"The Trump line has been a huge success. Given Trump's marketing savvy and the average guys knowledge of clothing, this is no surprise".

The "average guy" probably thinks that it's pretty good stuff.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by extempore
They seem to like their ties BIG in China - the few eBay sellers who sell silk ties direct from China don't ever go below 3.75".

4.25 is fairly standard here. I think if anyone should wear slimmer ties, it is Chinese men. As slim as many of them are, the ties can cover about 1/2 of the width of the stomach on many uniformed people.

It is almost impossible to get "western" (i.e. better quality) features on fashion products if you are trying to sell in the China market. The factories will always say that these things don't matter in the local market and know one can tell the difference. This is true in most cases, but it leaves a good deal of room for improvement.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes i do - just take care what you buy at Stanley Market!

There again with the prices to throw one or two away is neither here nor there.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
They almost all use poly interlinings. Italy uses wool.
I'm a bit surprised that poly alone makes the fabric that much more resistant to forming a quality knot. It seems the fabric has no give.
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
4.25 is fairly standard here.
So where do all the high-end stores that have recently opened in Beijing get high-fashion ties in those proportions? Do they sell leftovers from the '80's?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads