• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Wear Pink?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
You're absolutely right; here's the Wikipedia entry I found on the topic. In Western culture, the practice of assigning pink to an individual gender began in the 1920s.[5] From then until the 1940s, pink was considered appropriate for boys because being related to red it was the more masculine and decided color, while blue was considered appropriate for girls because it was the more delicate and dainty color, or related to the Virgin Mary.[6][7][8] Since the 1940s, the societal norm apparently inverted so that pink became appropriate for girls and blue appropriate for boys, a practice that has continued into the 21st century.[9] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink
I thought the Nazis assigned pink triangles to homosexuals.

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
I wear pink shirts and melon colored shirts, and PINK shirts even. Goes with my dirty blonde hair & blue eyes. I get the most compliments from women when wearing a pink, melon or french blue shirt.
I wear pink ties even. but will not wear a pink pin-striped shirt. I used to have a pair of peachy pink pants once...was totally insane doing it and got hit on by almost every gay male that saw me in them so I got rid of them. Pink is a cool color for gents if done right.

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I thought the Nazis assigned pink triangles to homosexuals.
Yes they did. That was mentioned just below the citing from Wikipedia I had pointed to earlier. "Whereas Jewish people were forced to wear a yellow star of David under Nazi rule, and Roma people were forced to wear a black triangle, men imprisoned on accusations of homosexuality or same-sex sexual activity were forced to wear a pink triangle. Nowadays, the pink triangle is often worn with pride."[13]
German_concentration_camp_chart_of_prisoner_markings.jpg
pink_triangle.jpg
I suppose circa 1940 was a pivotal year for pink. BTW aside from your earlier comment I couldn't find anything else on pink and its use in regiment.

inq89

Reaction score
I own a thrifted pink OCBD and a pink RL polo shirt that is borderline red. Don't wear the polo often though, and have yet to have an occasion to sport the pink button down.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Darnmor
I said nothing about it not being a masculine colour, apart from the association with little girls... but that is just "˜one' image it conjures up for me. It's not the point I was making.

I don't believe it looks good as a clothing colour. There aren't many colours you can't make a suit from, but pink is one of them.

I did fear it might get a few backs up. I go back to the original question of "˜...for those that do, what are your reasons?'

I fear I'm alone in thinking pink is not a suitable colour for the wardrobe.

well it depends on what kind of suit you are making...

pink_suits.jpg

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
Yes they did. That was mentioned just below the citing from Wikipedia I had pointed to earlier. "Whereas Jewish people were forced to wear a yellow star of David under Nazi rule, and Roma people were forced to wear a black triangle, men imprisoned on accusations of homosexuality or same-sex sexual activity were forced to wear a pink triangle. Nowadays, the pink triangle is often worn with pride."[13] I suppose circa 1940 was a pivotal year for pink. BTW aside from your earlier comment I couldn't find anything else on pink and its use in regiment.
Pink is thus the color of freedom from tyranny. Pink was a popular facing color on blue and green jackets during the Napoleonic wars, particularly with Nations like the Duchy of Warsaw, Baden, Wurtemburg , Naples and a few others. Some Napoleonic regiments wore a coat color called amaranth which was a sort of pinkish red but too hot to be a true pink. I believe pink was a liberal decorative color and used by military musicians but never a regimental uniform coat. Remember these soldiers spent a lot of time outdoors and laundering was harsh so that colors either had o be strong to withstand boiling or essentially white or un-dyed. Yellow was the dandiacal color for nineteenth century uniforms. Most of the Spanish heavy cavalry wore a bright yellow coat and breeches which impressed the French when they invaded in 1808.

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guhh, that "uniform" pic a couple of pages ago is why I don't wear any pink...it reminds me of HS and college-aged kids who desperately want to peacock and show girls their sensitivity by doing something that was much more risque, what, 8 years ago? I think the "masculinity" aspect is almost totally played out, as the vast majority of those who are the least bit fashionably inclined or under the age of 30 don't see pink as having any particular associations. I understand why most other men wear it, and most of you look absolutely fabulous (faaaaabulousssss j/k) in it, but I just can't bring myself to share such a quality with one of those typical DBs. That, and I am totally pro-breast cancer.

Horatio

Reaction score
Pink is completely at war with my complexion so - no pink for me...

Best, H.

Darnmor

Reaction score
Turns out this was quite a successful post, a lot more so then if I had said "Who Wears Green?" for example.

Speaking of which, the line "I mean this question with no more connotation then "˜who wears green' would imply." Yet a lot of you seamed to think I was bashing pink. Funny what people choose to read.

To address of few points, (for those of you who still care to read my posts) if sexuality or proof of masculinity were an issue I wouldn't, as I am now, wear the colour lavender. Nor would I wear my hair as long as I do (at times it can touch my shoulders), or I wouldn't have worn nail polish and eye make up back in my younger more naive days (that's bound to cause me trouble). These are all issues I'm afraid you are having troubles dealing with or old arguments you've heard before and decided to continue your point here.

"I associate pink with candy and little girls" was nothing more then pure colour association. My little girls room is pink, pink and more pink, it is the only colour in her room and I can't help but associate this colour with that and cotton candy. Sorry that this upset some of you. Turns out I'm the only one.

Oh, for those that didn't understand "what are your reasons?" there was no implication that there had to be a reason or even that you were obliged to post. My favourite post was...

Originally Posted by blackbowtie
You want me to give reasons for wearing pink? The cheek.

I'm assuming that the OP has not seen that many sartorially advanced men. Or spent much time in a sartorially advanced city. If one needs reasons to wear pink, why not also demand reasons for wearing blue or brown?

Prices less. I'll let the rest of London know they're not a sartorially advanced city.

For those of you who did read this probably, thank you for your posts, I'm now considering a few items that had, until recently, not occurred to me. A brown tie with pink diagonal striping for example and the jackets posted by both triniboy27 and niidawg3 appeared to have pink line work, if they did or didn't, it'll still make it into my next jacket design.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's fine it is as frequently people poking around to incite trouble that unwittingly produce interesting topics.

Everyone has opinions about clothing but to see clothes as they really are and as everyone sees them you need to keep learning and contemplating them. Like an onion, there are many layers to clothes and as you peel away you discover something new and you realize you didn't notice or consider something just before. As you attain each level you draw closer to sartorial enlightenment and achieving oneness with your sartorial chi.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to wear pink, it's a good way to get into fights
smile.gif

nekachif.jpg

buckskin.jpg

shirt.jpg

Burzum

Reaction score
Have worn pink reasonably often. Just haven't been interested in wearing it currently.

Wore a fuschia pink shirt with a rose pink tie, with a charcoal suit.

As for why, I liked the colour combination esp with a cream jumper.

Wore a light pink shirt with a burgandy plain tie, with a charcoal suit.
Just wanted to try it - while it was a good look, not that great on me - pink doesn't suit me.

Wore a pink polo a few times. Just wanted to try it be a little different from just wearing black on black which I did for wears.

Honestly I just wear it I don't see the big deal I get a few comments from time to time - some ok and some of the usual f..khead comments. I usually don't acknowledge it and most take the hint to shut the f..k up. On ocassion a few people decided to repeat themselves to make sure I heard it that didn't last long either.

You don't need to do anymore than just tell people to stop being a juvenile unimaginative f..kheads when they make stupid comments. Well worked for me at least.

I have a bigger problem with the colour green - usually looks awful in my view at least.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biller Kob