• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you take crap for being stylish?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kohan
meh.... I'd only agree to the extent that an asshole hater may just fixate on your clothes because they're visible, but plenty of normal people are put off by what they see as an effort to show off, or to look much better than others around you. we call it style, they call it arugula-chomping elitism.

If you keep your style simple and classic without overdoing it, I don't think many will view it as elitism. Look at Obama. He looks like a million bucks with a simple, classic, yet stylish, outfit every time.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
He's a good looking guy
A matter of opinion.

who dresses mediocre
Again, a matter of opinion.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to suspect that my mother has always feared I would turn out gay. This would explain a good deal of her prickly disdain for my interests in, and devotion to, fashion and style.

A little funny, when I think about it, but also rather not.

Damn maternal neurosis...

I get that, but from the dad side. It started when I was 23 when I had a stint at Nordstrom and bought 2 new suits, 4 dress shirts and a nice tie collection in like 2 weeks time and was really excited about suiting up and all the subtleties, traditions and rules that go along with it.

Today that makes you gay...80 years ago that meant you've become a man.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
A matter of opinion.

Again, a matter of opinion.

Everything is a ******* matter of opinion. He dresses like every other guy really. He doesn't do anything that great. I guarantee that if you buy the exact same clothes you're gonna look no where near as good as he does. Same with a lot of other "fashion icons". Do you really think his "style" is that impressive? I guess it's possible you have terribly low standards or something, so maybe you're right.

Kohan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB

It's hard to make that point when you're working against the "he likes fancy clothes and dressing up... queer alert!" mentality, but that's exactly it. I give a damn because I think I'm worth giving a damn about---isn't that reason enough for damn good self-presentation?

Really? He's a good looking guy who dresses mediocre. Get off his nuts, he's not president yet

Obama actually took some "elitist" heat for wearing Burberry OTR suits early in the campaign and had to downgrade. this is why SFers wouldn't make it into office--we'd rather lose a campaign than a wardrobe.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hard to make that point when you're working against the "he likes fancy clothes and dressing up... queer alert!" mentality, but that's exactly it. I give a damn because I think I'm worth giving a damn about---isn't that reason enough for damn good self-presentation?

True. I think the key is to dress well without trying too hard.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I'm beginning to suspect that my mother has always feared I would turn out gay. This would explain a good deal of her prickly disdain for my interests in, and devotion to, fashion and style.

A little funny, when I think about it, but also rather not.

Damn maternal neurosis...

Do you bring your "roommate" home from college for christmas?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Sounds like something you did back in undergrad. Memories, like the corners of my mind....

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
No, actually I got to have dual-penisless sex in college. Give it a try, Conne.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
^^ With those eyes? Everythign you do is stylish
inlove.gif

Kohan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason

No. But I do come home broke and sporting an unfamiliar wardrobe. causes difficulties...

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
I get that, but from the dad side. It started when I was 23 when I had a stint at Nordstrom and bought 2 new suits, 4 dress shirts and a nice tie collection in like 2 weeks time and was really excited about suiting up and all the subtleties, traditions and rules that go along with it.

my dads the same way, throws out a comment here and there about it, usually more about the cost then anything else.

He also borrows my shoes when he needs to look sharp, so what does that tell you.

I dont know why people feel the need to concern themselves with what i spend and on what, but i take alot of heat for it, usually when shopping is when they find out i would rather not be caught dead in Macys
lol8[1].gif

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
my dads the same way, throws out a comment here and there about it, usually more about the cost then anything else.

He also borrows my shoes when he needs to look sharp, so what does that tell you.

I dont know why people feel the need to concern themselves with what i spend and on what, but i take alot of heat for it, usually when shopping is when they find out i would rather not be caught dead in Macys
lol8[1].gif

haha that reminds me of when my friends give me crap for looking good drag me shopping with them and find out that Id rather spend an eterity in hell buried in Eason's used dildos than go into 95% of clothing stores.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads