• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diet while traveling for work

scubaru

Reaction score
About 3 months ago I started at my current job on a special project. I am on a team that travels the country, the UK and Canada to all 17 plants to help integrate a new parts inventory system. Since I started I've been to Rockford, IL and Forth Worth, TX; I've also managed to gain 12 lbs in that time. We have been back at corporate for the past month and I've managed to keep my diet under control while at home.

Well starting this coming Monday (2/8/16) I'll be heading out to Modesto, CA for 4 weeks, home for a weekend then out to Kankakee, IL and so on. I'll be home an average of 2 days a month. That means I'll be eating out constantly. I've been able to shy away from the greasier meals and staying with smaller portions but even so restaurants love to pile on the food and it leaves almost a guilt if I leave half of my food untouched. I have also managed to cut a lot of soda out of my diet and cut back on the snacking.

The project is only for 1 year, anyone who travels a lot for work how do you keep in a healthy diet? Any tricks or tips that might help out?

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a week abroad every month, all over the world. This month Japan, the next Israel.
Anyway, I have been struggling with the same, as do most regular travelers I found. What works for me is portion control and 16/8 when I'm back home, and fitting in working out every other day when possible. Oh, that and alcohol control, THAT is the big weight gainer in my book.

With as many business dinners as we are having the above is hard enough as it is, diets would be impossible to stick to.

scubaru

Reaction score
I'm a week abroad every month, all over the world. This month Japan, the next Israel.
Anyway, I have been struggling with the same, as do most regular travelers I found. What works for me is portion control and 16/8 when I'm back home, and fitting in working out every other day when possible. Oh, that and alcohol control, THAT is the big weight gainer in my book.

With as many business dinners as we are having the above is hard enough as it is, diets would be impossible to stick to.

The alcohol is a big issue for me. Every dinner I can choose between water, soda and beer. I like flavor with food so beer is the lesser of the evils. I just gained 6 lbs in the past 3 weeks out in California. Boy did we eat. I need to start looking into better portion control. What is this 16/8 you speak of?

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The alcohol is a big issue for me. Every dinner I can choose between water, soda and beer. I like flavor with food so beer is the lesser of the evils.  I just gained 6 lbs in the past 3 weeks out in California. Boy did we eat. I need to start looking into better portion control.  What is this 16/8 you speak of?

Basically fasting every day. It refers to 16 hour fast, 8 hours to get the calories you need. In my case it sort of happened naturally, I only eat lunch and dinner, no snacks. It allows me to relatively go at it with the meals, so my love for t-bones and ***** foods goes unpunished so far.

But, I still have some years to go before I hit forty, so I will only know whether this holds true when I become older..

Fwiw, came back this morning from a week in Israel and will be hitting the gym hard to compensate. It's needed :(

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've found that when traveling I really need to be disciplined. It is impossible to not gain weight eating three meals of regular hotel and restaurant food especially while wining and dining clients but you can do it.

What works for me is to avoid regular desserts, bread, rice and any potatoes. Start off in the morning with scrambled eggs and sliced tomatoes or fruit. Then lean protein for lunch and dinner. I look forward to and reward myself with some favorites every day: a couple glasses of wine, lean steak, roasted chicken, roast pork, smoked salmon, sashimi, (all with lots of green salads and veggies. For dessert I just ask for mixed berries. ) If you get hungry, especially in the first week or so, just grab a banana or apple.

I used to stick with this for years with great success and then began indulging more in higher calorie foods. Its just too easy to grab bread while at a table waiting for dinner or handfuls of nuts at a bar. I found the new Weight Watchers app to be a great reminder (because you punch in everything you eat) and very motivating as far as what to avoid and portion control. I lost 10 lbs in 4 weeks and felt pretty much full all of the time. I think the app works especially well for guys and for anyone who travels.

Good luck!

kipaenbe

Reaction score
well, think the app works especially well for guys and for anyone who travels.
68.gif

Last edited:

PatricSka

Reaction score
Even if you think about losing weight or keeping weight, make sure to eat well.
In my opinion the most important meel in a day is breakfast that is composed by whole-grain products, fruit and vegetables and milk products.
When I'm planning a trip I try to check the places where I can eat healthily. In restaurants I choose soups, salads, fish and lean meat. Instead of fries I prefer whole wheat pasta, brown rice, porridge. You can ask for additional portion of salad instead of fries.
I try to avoid choosing meats with sauces and salad dressings, olive oil is the best for vegetables!
To drink is best to choose water with lemon or freshly squeezed juice. I know that is hard drink water all the time, so beer - yes, but only sometimes! Beer is not so much full of calories, but consumed with the snack - potato chips, peanuts and so on makes it isn't healthy.
For dessert, you can choose a fruit salad or a small portion of ice cream without sweet sauces.
Diet olny is not enough. It is worth remembering about the sport and the proper amount of sleep :)

Bartolo

Reaction score
Somehow I often manage to lose weight when traveling, or at least not gain much.

1. Eat a good breakfast. Make good choices (lean protein and fruit...avoid the pastries!!).
2. Related to 1 above is 'eat before you get too hungry.' For me, once I'm "starving," I make bad choices.
3. When on the road, the only time you typically have to make food choices is when the waiter is standing over you waiting for your order. IN THAT MOMENT is when you must make a good choice. Order the lean protein. Skip the potatoes and get another vegetable. Skip dessert; get a decaf cappuccino or whatever works for you.
4. Alcohol in moderation. That yummy cocktail before dinner can induce you to order the pasta alfredo instead of the broiled meat or fish. Don't let alcohol lower your inhibitions and make bad (food) choices.

Those are my tips.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stick with steak salads most of the time with dressing on the side and no bacon if it comes with bacon. I also try to avoid alcohol for most meals.

innerstyle

Reaction score
One thing I learned to eat healthier on the road is that many restaurants will allow substitutions and customizing your order. For example, they could have a grilled salmon dish that comes with a lot of sauce on the salmon plus fries on the side. I ask for grilled salmon only without the sauce (you can season with lemon slices and salt/pepper), then I ask to substitute out the fries for mixed vegetables (scan their menu to see what veggies they have). Many will accommodate requests like this as you're basically just asking them to hold the sauce and substituting one thing for another thing they serve.

As mentioned before, if they give you a giant portion as most restaurants in America do, you'll still gain weight, so make sure you know what a normal portion looks like and ask for doggy bag if it's too much.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^This is an excellent suggestion. It is just so easy to eat the high carb high calorie hash browns and toast that come with your eggs for breakfast when almost any restaurant or hotel will be glad to sub with mixed fruit or sliced tomatoes.

Lunch or dinner the same thing with subbing French Fries for a salad or other veg.

kwilliamson

Reaction score
Get a bunch of Olive oil Sardine boxes, that's a really healthy breakfast! You can eat it right out of the box! Doesn't get easier than that!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics