• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Des Merrion status or whereabouts?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know all those kids stabbing each other? How'd you like it if they we're spraying tech 9 fire instead. That's what guns bring to your country. And once the cat is out of the bag there is no putting it back

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
That my friend has to do with the constant overcrowding of English jails and the lack of investment in the system... Some have to go out to allow others to get in... Even the Tories after talking the talk are not going to walk the walk on that one... No money to give ad vitam aeternam her Majesty's prisoners and no Australia anymore...
The solution is to build more prisons. The cost of building extra prisons is much less than the cost to society of having criminals roaming the streets preying on the innocent.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
The solution is to build more prisons. The cost of building extra prisons is much less than the cost to society of having criminals roaming the streets preying on the innocent.

really?

20 grands a year per prisoners, the prisons themselves and the staff....

Even the current law and order government is not going to do it.

In America ,prisons are big business employing most of the town inhabitants where they're built...

I agree with letting real criminals going out too early ..

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree, but there isn't the money to go round at the moment to implement that, even if they wanted to.

I think that, too, is a similar problem, certainly it is in the US and Australia. Not enough prisons, not enough money to build new prisons (plus, any time a new prison actually is announced, most towns vehemently protest it being built near their homes). We all largely share the same problems.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
really? 20 grands a year per prisoners, the prisons themselves and the staff.... Even the current law and order government is not going to do it. In America ,prisons are big business employing most of the town inhabitants where they're built... I agree with letting real criminals going out too early ..
Yes, really. Criminals activity costs Britain billions per year, far more than it costs to house criminals in gaols. Here: ...and this is from 2000. Things will have got [far] worse now. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1083212.stm

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, really.

Criminals activity costs Britain billions per year, far more than it costs to house criminals in gaols.

Here:

...and this is from 2000. Things will have got [far] worse now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1083212.stm

How can one really quantify the real cost of criminality in a country?

I don't disagree with your statement , I was just reminding us of the facts...

My mate's wife is in the probation services and the cuts have been massive there...

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How can one really quantify the real cost of criminality in a country? I don't disagree with your statement , I was just reminding us of the facts... My mate's wife is in the probation services and the cuts have been massive there...
Well, if you read the article it explains how they've arrived at the costs. You can be certain that it was probably higher still when this study was originally done as it doesn't deal with un-reported crime. It's even more shocking when you consider that crime is committed by a small segment of society and that many are repeat offenders. When politicians say that it costs to much to build gaols to house criminals they are lying. The reluctance to send criminals to gaol has nothing to do with cost, but with the perverted and twisted notion that criminals are somehow victims themselves and are in need of compassion. As Adam Smith said: '...mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the innocent'

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In today's GFC affected world (in which the US and the UK are prime examples), there simply isn't enough money to go round right now. Just the way it is, George.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Besides his website...are there are links to Des' work?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Besides his website...are there are links to Des' work?

Presumably prison inmates can now have bespoke uniforms?

beau nash

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
You know all those kids stabbing each other? How'd you like it if they we're spraying tech 9 fire instead. That's what guns bring to your country. And once the cat is out of the bag there is no putting it back

But if you shoot the cat first . . . .

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
You have a ruined carpet. Assuming you used the sawed off shotgun.

The way some people are spending money they already want a new carpet, so how is the old one ruined?

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Presumably prison inmates can now have bespoke uniforms?
Wow GBR...you are on a roll, one low blow after the other.
boxing[1].gif
Guns have saved my life on multiple occassions...and I never had to fire a single round. Maybe those criminals will think twice in the future My whole brainwashing theory is not nonsense...its academically documented http://www.amazon.com/Samurai-Mounti.../dp/0879757566

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads