• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DC: Best City to Live In?

mmhollis

Reaction score
For all the complaints I have about DC I still love her, and yes there are plenty of good restaurants here. I don't care if the METRO was never meant to handle the capacity that is now a reality a good city is planned efficiently and the fact WMATA hasn't adapted...ever shows a lack of planning and management. Nonetheless, we aren't even half as bad as Detroit. I can't think of a good thing to say about that *hit hole that took place in the last 40 years outside of the fact the Pistons are a great franchise and Barry Sanders once played there.

Cordwinder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rickybobby
I think DC would make a good place to live in with a settled job and community.

Doesn't this apply to any city you live in? Its always better to live in the city where you have a job, and a community.
I should pose this question... would you live in a city earning more than the average income level of the city but alone (e.g. no friends, no fun, no life, etc...) or live in a great city earning minimum wage?

I liked living in D.C. but I think it depends on where you live. I lived in The Palisades, which I think is the better neighborhoods in D.C. I still remember walking to uni and saw Alan Greenspan being driven to work. I kinda yelled like little girl and the secret service agent in the front seat asked me if I was alright... surreal experience as a wanna-be economist in training.
I also saw that white hair guy that comes on CNN I think and can't remember his name... the one that leaked the name of the spy about the yellow uranium cakes... (major mental block here)
There was bus that took me straight into town, and to Union Station. If I needed the metro, I would drive to Tentley/AU park on the street.

D.C. did seem a little fake... too neatly made and lacked dynamism that you find in other cities.

But ever city (town/village) has its pluses and minuses. Its a just a matter of adapting to it.

Joe E Taleo

Reaction score
I like living here (though I really live in the metro area). It has great diversity and decent green space, too. It's pretty darn boring when compared to NY, but I guess almost everything is; at the same time, I pay less for my 3 bedroom townhouse than for our 300 sq ft. studio in NY. I love that jobs are plentiful here, but like I guess every city nowadays the gentrification has gotten me down- I'm not sure how people can afford the house prices around here. Even with prices dropping, costs are high.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cordwinder
I also saw that white hair guy that comes on CNN I think and can't remember his name... the one that leaked the name of the spy about the yellow uranium cakes... (major mental block here)
Does Bob Novak have that much hair?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman

Enough to get in his eyes and block his vision, resulting in a seriously injured pedestrian. Apparently.

b

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Enough to get in his eyes and block his vision, resulting in a seriously injured pedestrian. Apparently.

Watch out for black convertible Corvettes.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
DC has the makings of a great city but fails to deliver . As a washingtonian and smal business owner I would like to see about 1 million more people move into DC with a disposable income.
There needs to be more focus on arts, fashion, theater..etc the rest is in place.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
DC strikes me as more of a big town than a city. There are no skyscrapers

I guess you mean technically within DC itself since no buildings there are higher than the Capitol IIRC, I consider the Rosslyn area right across the river to be a bit more of a "city" in terms of tall buildings:
Rosslyn_Skyline2.jpg

JB

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
I guess you mean technically within DC itself since no buildings there are higher than the Capitol IIRC
JB

Ack. Okay here is the rule: A building may be no taller than the width of the street in front of it plus 20ft (or something to that effect). This was instituted after the Cairo apt. building was built in Dupont. I'm not sure how it's measured, btw, because the building I work in must exceed this limit.

b

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ack. Okay here is the rule: A building may be no taller than the width of the street in front of it plus 20ft (or something to that effect). This was instituted after the Cairo apt. building was built in Dupont. I'm not sure how it's measured, btw, because the building I work in must exceed this limit.

b

Didn't know that, I thought the Capitol was the height limit. Learned something today, thanks.

JB

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

b

I thought it was teh Washington Monument.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"In 1899, Congress passed the Heights of Buildings Act in response to the 14-story Cairo apartment tower, which at the time was reviled as a monstrosity overshadowing its Dupont Circle neighborhood. (It is now admired as one of Washington's most beautiful residential buildings.) The original law limited buildings to the height of the Capitol, but was amended in 1910 to the width of the adjacent street plus 20 feet, so a building facing a 90-foot-wide street could be only 110 feet tall." http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...063001316.html

Cordwinder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman

yeah him... saw him Starbucks, far end of MacArthur Blvd. I was wondering why everyone was shaking his hand till I saw him on CNN making a fool out his stupidity.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luketheduke