• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crescent Down Works

Simontuntelder

Reaction score
Forget it, it's not chambray...

On a more serious note, does anyone here have a CDW parka that fits great? If so I would love to see some pics.

I liked the details, although it didn't feel durable and tough as some other parkas I have had, but the fit wasn't to my liking at all.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone experience down feathers fluffing out of their wool puffer vest? After a couple of wearings, my vest is always speckled with white feathers.

anothergreenworld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
Has anyone experience down feathers fluffing out of their wool puffer vest? After a couple of wearings, my vest is always speckled with white feathers.

I've got a down shirt and vest that have both had down material needle out occasionally. I think it's somewhat expected - I remember reading a a rakuten shop address the matter - it prescribed the user to pinch the garment in the opposite direction of the down leak to try and draw the down back in - it never worked for me.

Since I got my down shirt altered and tighter fitting, the down is much more compressed and I never have that problem anymore.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

Have you tried contacting them?

captainfunk

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my Navy wool CDW vest. I have not asked them about this problem specifically, but when I did ask them (CDW, not South Willard) a question the construction of the garment, I only received a very short, almost rude response back.

A lint roller is the only solution I've tried, and that barely does the trick.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
That's how they respond to all questions, do you have a photo of this I am having a hard time imagining feathers coming out from stitching.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by captainfunk
I have the same problem with my Navy wool CDW vest. I have not asked them about this problem specifically, but when I did ask them (CDW, not South Willard) a question the construction of the garment, I only received a very short, almost rude response back.

A lint roller is the only solution I've tried, and that barely does the trick.

That's unfortunate since I was actually considering one of their blended vests for this season. Bad customer service = no business from me.

Jet: I wish I have the vest with me so I can photograph it. The down feathers basically poke through the weave of the wool fabric.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That sucks! My DBSS down coat does nearly the same damn thing. The shell is nylon but wherever there is stitching in the nylon, small feathers come out. It's not enough feathers to ever cause any significant loss, but it still annoys me.

After recalling Jet lambasting my DBSS down for not having the "heritage" of CDW and thus likely inferior quality due to DBSS's limited experience with down, I started assuming he might be right. I feel better hearing CDW has the same problem with some of their designs too.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Originally Posted by jet
Have you tried contacting them?

Canada Goose jackets and vests does the same thing, not a lot though, I don't know how much CDW does it , as I was put by their lack of customer service and the fact they seemed uninterested in doing business, I asked them of they had any European stockist beside Present in London who only does ltd. ed. stuff and the answer I got was "our stuff is distributed via Paris and Tokyo"(how does that help?) and that they could do a special order for me, but they didn't reply to my response
plain.gif

Humperdink

Reaction score
Sounds like the CDW shirt jacket doesn't have baffle box construction, which makes sense given the light weight and reasonable cost. Most quilted down jackets have the outer fabric and inner lining sewn together with the down captured "loose" in-between - individual feathers will work their way out at the seams, as people have experienced.

I know all or most Moncler jackets use(d?) baffle box construction, where the down is sealed in separate individual pockets between the outer fabric and inner-lining. That kind of handwork is expensive, and while I'm sure (hope?) most designer down jackets use baffle box construction, I don't know of any mass-produced, cold-weather jacket brands that use it extensively outside of Moncler.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The real reason your jackets/vests are experiencing this is this. I will say that a majority of Down filled garments are just partially composed of a fluffy Down that we think our garment is entirely made of. There is not enough Down in the world to make all the garbage that's out there. Most manufacturers will use a mix of Down and Feathers to fill their garments. This should be disclosed on the Joker, which is the label that describes content. Because a feather has a harder Quill, it has a tendency to want to poke when prodded. This will not be detrimental to the garment for there are thousands of them in each baffle. Humperdink, I don't mean to dispel your theory on baffling but that has little to do with this issue. However, baffling is an important aspect of the construction. If a garment has only a single layer baffle construction, you will experience cold spots at the stitching. I good down garment will have an offset baffle construction, two separate layers of Down.

gululv

Reaction score
I bought a parka by CDW last year, but had to return it, looked like an expensive, thin raincoat.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
New cdw drop on sw.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads