• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Liked the looks of this but I don't think it's being made anymore:

What's budget?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

R&B is fine design-wise, depending on which line you get. It's not heirloom quality (not many couches/sofas are) but the few pieces I've had have been solid throughout their moderate to heavy use. They aren't some kind of aspirational purchase by any means and if you know you're going to eventually move into a bigger place or have a remodel or design shift, then I'd personally go with something less expensive for the time being.

Within that price range there are plenty of interesting choices but most are difficult to try out in person and might have varying levels of quality. R&B is more of a "known" which makes it safer. That Joybird stuff looked decent.

Thing is, R&B is really not much cheaper than the bona fide design companies. Dining chairs are a few hundred bucks. Dining tables are a few thousand.

I see virtually zero reason to shop there unless you want safer-looking furniture that will have instant cred with your McMansion neighbors.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys, please help. My wife wants to drop an obscene amount of money for furniture at Room and Board. While I'm fine with spending good money for things that will last for... ever?... I just want to have some fun shopping around and not just gathering things in an online shopping cart and hitting "buy". Plus I think we can buy things on a site like 1st Dibs or something.

But she's all about R&B and ******* Pottery Barn... what do I do?

Use the largest pillow you own.

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well yes, I figured that would be the answer.

But before I do that... does R&B actually make good furniture? The stuff she's looking at is supposedly made in the US. Does this mean anything? I mean - is it made in the US by immigrant "artisans" or is it made in the US by a family who knows what they're doing and makes good stuff?

No large company in US knows how to make furniture, it is all union made garbage put together with a staple gun.

Your heart is in the right place: 1stdibs, local estate sales, auctions online or in RL-this is the way to acquire things. Buying mass market garbage from mid-level outlets is nauseatingly lower-middle-class. Let your wife pick one item she needs the most (bed, dinner table ,sofa..) and let her buy that crap on the condition that you will wait to get the rest later.
Show her online sites with furniture you like or consider better than pottery barn. In short , you need to educate her and develop her taste gradually.
If she does not come around in 12 months use a pillow.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why has this become a thread about ****** furniture? There are other threads for that.

Moo, R&B is fine if it fits your aesthetic and budget. It is solidly made and they have excellent customer service. You really have to know what you're doing to score at an auction or on 1st Dibs.

lefty

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Pio I was going to ask if you tried out the Grand Repo, but if the chairs you bought were $1.4K each they were a great deal cheaper. As much as I like the Grand Repo I can't swallow the idea of spending so much on a single chair. Anyways, if you like them then that's what matters the most.

This chair reminded me of the Grand Repo...and I do like how comfy they are.

G

Griffindork

I'm shopping for a dining room table for a modern, open and airy NY apartment. Needs to be at least 10 feet. Right now I've got two that I'm considering (pics below) but I'm interested in seeing what else is out there. Anyone have suggestions?

Our final decision was to go with a raw edge single slab table in claro walnut. The table will be about 10 feet long and 3 inches thick. It is a little daunting to spend a whole bunch of money on a piece of wood without certainty as to what the final product will look like, but I have faith that it will turn out like the table below (other than the base, which will be completely different).

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Griffindork

One raw edge, or two? So I guess with those, you don't use tablecloths, right?

Both long edges will incorporate live plus some straight cut combination to make the table suitable for a dining table. The ends will be straight cut. Some of the edges will be charred/blackened. I don't think we will use a tablecloth. The top is finished only with wax and natural oil and it will develop scratches and a patina over time, but I think that is part of the beauty.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Why has this become a thread about ****** furniture? There are other threads for that.

Moo, R&B is fine if it fits your aesthetic and budget. It is solidly made and they have excellent customer service. You really have to know what you're doing to score at an auction or on 1st Dibs.

lefty

This.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most of the R&B stuff is legit.

They are going to cut some corners...cheaper sofas might have cushions that need a lot of fluffing to stop from getting frumpy, actual materials used on tables might not be as nice, more veneers and cheaper woods used, etc...the marble on their Saarinen tables isn't quite as nice as the Knoll ones for double the price...

But they aren't going to sell you something that's just junk.

I'd be most cautious with the cheaper lines of upholstered goods...but over $1500 or so, you are probably OK.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We eventually had to replace the foam on our R&B sofa seat cushions, but there were firmer options available, so it could be user error.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SallJCoy