• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cooking: Pasta Sauce

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's what I'm cooking right now: Pretty simple but nonetheless tasty: 9 Tomatoes 1/2 cup of olive oil 4 packs of mushrooms (I ******* love mushrooms) 1 onion basil 3 cloves of garlic sugar

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, It was probably more like 1/3 though now that my gut isn't hungry anymore.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recipe: 2 x 35oz peeled tomatoes 1 x 6oz tomato paste 1 lb ground beef 1 lb pork ribs generous amount of olive oil 10 garlic cloves, smashed 1 medium onion, diced 1/4 cup fresh basil, chiffonade 1 tb dried oregano 1/2 tb dried parsley 1 bay leaf 1/2 tb sugar 1 tb red pepper flakes ground nutmeg (experimenting with this for the first time, couldn't really detect a difference) s & p edit: add a ladle of pasta water in at the end Simmered for 3 hours. Result:
dsc2634s.jpg
My gf said it was the best home made sauce she's ever had.
smile.gif

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you guys do anything with whole tomatoes (either canned or fresh) before you add them? Let them break down on their own as they simmer or do you chop them first, or something else?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Do you guys do anything with whole tomatoes (either canned or fresh) before you add them? Let them break down on their own as they simmer or do you chop them first, or something else?
I used a potato masher to mash them, in the pot. A wooden spoon works too, but it takes more effort and you get splashed.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I used a potato masher to mash them, in the pot. A wooden spoon works too, but it takes more effort and you get splashed.
Your sauce looks good. How did you use the pork ribs? I assume they were on the bone or were they boneless?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your sauce looks good. How did you use the pork ribs? I assume they were on the bone or were they boneless?
Thanks. They were with bone. I seasoned them with s&p and browned them in olive oil first, took them out, then cooked the remaining ingredients and added them back in. After a few hours, they're just about falling off the bone. I think the pork fat adds a richness that really makes the sauce taste better than with just the ground beef alone.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do the same thing using pork neck bones. See post #24 here.

I got this recipe from an old girlfriend who learned from her Italian grandmother. This sauce really requires a long simmer. Will make a huge pot of sauce, make a lasagna and save the rest.

I make small meatballs about the size of dime to a nickel and layer them in lasagna. Use scamorza, ricotta and parmesan cheese. Really tasty.

oroy38

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Here's the one I use:

Ingredients

* 2 (28-ounce) cans whole, peeled tomatoes
* 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 1 onion
* 1 carrot
* 1 stalk celery
* 2 ounces olive oil
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
* 1/2 cup white wine
* Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste

Directions

In a sieve over a medium non-reactive saucepot, strain the tomatoes of their juice into the sauce pot. Add the sherry vinegar, sugar, red pepper flakes, oregano, and basil to the tomato juice. Stir and cook over high heat. Once bubbles begin to form on the surface, reduce to a simmer. Allow liquid to reduce by 1/2 or until liquid has thickened to a loose syrup consistency.

Squeeze each tomato thoroughly to ensure most seeds are removed. Set the tomatoes aside.

Cut carrot, onion, and celery into uniform sizes and combine with olive oil and garlic in a non-reactive roasting pan over low heat. Sweat the mirepoix until the carrots are tender and the onion becomes translucent, 15 to 20 minutes. Add the tomatoes and capers to the roasting pan.

Place roasting pan on the middle rack of the oven and broil for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Tomatoes should start to brown slightly on edges with light caramelization. Remove the pan from the broiler. Place the pan over 2 burners on the stove. Add the white wine to the tomatoes and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes over medium heat.

Put the tomatoes into a deep pot or bowl and add the reduced tomato liquid to the tomatoes. Blend to desired consistency and adjust seasoning.

I use essentially the same recipe, except I take the equivalent amount of fresh tomatoes from the backyard, throw them in a pot and let them heat while another pot has everything cooking, then once the tomatoes are sufficiently hot, I throw them in the other pot, and crush them in. I also like to throw in some spicy italian sausages and red wine in place of the sherry.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I drain the juice from the can, then I push down the lid and drain again. Then I give each one a crush through my fingers (after a THOROUGH hand washing ala TV Medical Drama, of course) on the way into the pot.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
My gf said it was the best home made sauce she's ever had.
smile.gif

I hear you can fix that problem if you drink some pineapple juice.
teacha.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
I hear you can fix that problem if you drink some pineapple juice.
teacha.gif

I guess my pasta sauce is THAT much better.
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads