• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Common practice to lie about current salary to potential employers?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a gamble as to whether a prospective employer will check your current salary, but that information definitely is readily available, especially if you've been working at a larger corporation. It's not uncommon for large companies to give out your title, duration of employment, and compensation as basic information. Any other information makes them liable for litigation from the employee.

My past company outsourced this information where a prospective employer would have to call a hotline and they'd get an automated response with my title, dates of employment, and comp.

It's a risk to inflate your compensation; a risk I would never, ever take, personally. Granted, you could argue that you were including other benefits, like 401(k) matching and healthcare benefits, if "caught."

bings

Reaction score
agreed with referencing total compensation rather than salary... rounding up is perfectly reasonable.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a gamble as to whether a prospective employer will check your current salary, but that information definitely is readily available, especially if you've been working at a larger corporation. It's not uncommon for large companies to give out your title, duration of employment, and compensation as basic information. Any other information makes them liable for litigation from the employee.

My past company outsourced this information where a prospective employer would have to call a hotline and they'd get an automated response with my title, dates of employment, and comp.

It's a risk to inflate your compensation; a risk I would never, ever take, personally. Granted, you could argue that you were including other benefits, like 401(k) matching and healthcare benefits, if "caught."

I believe title and duration of employment. I do not believe comp.

Separately, I don't know what you guys mean by rounding up. I'd can sympathize with 68,500 to 69,000, maybe. Calling it 70K is lying in my book.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Comp seems unlikely...and super easy to abuse. What's to stop you from calling them up and pretending to be an HR person just to get someone's salary information? Competitors could use it to gauge your pay scales. Never heard of that being something HR releases.

But 68,500 is 70k... I've always been paid pretty round numbers, but most people who aren't are going to round to the 5k mark (or 10k when the numbers get bigger).

Edit: and I would guess people aren't super likely to round down. So someone who makes 36k would probably say 36k since rounding down is bad...but going up to 40k is a big leap. So maybe at a low enough level, you round to the 1k. 68,500 is 70k though...if you are at that point without factoring in health/retirement/intangibles, then nobody is going to call you out on rounding 68.5 to 70.

Last edited:

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you're probably referring to this:

http://www.theworknumber.com/

A LOT of companies use it. I've checked mine and they had my salary history,

Last edited:

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you're probably referring to this:

http://www.theworknumber.com/

A LOT of companies use it. I've checked mine and they had my salary history,

I used that all the time at my former employer.

I wouldn't have a problem rounding up $78k to $80k personally. However, stretching it by $10k+ or so when you're under 6 figure is a far cry in my book.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pattigarciau