• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lied To Prospective Employer, Think They'll Find Out?

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's one for you guys that's related. I currently haven't listed this on my resume and don't plan to unless I can somehow find a way to get it completed. A few years back I started a certificate program with some colleagues at a local university. I actually go to that uni now and will finish my undergrad this semester, but back then we were taking their continued education program for a certificate in Urban Planning. We did so more for a means to get our jackass boss to shut the **** up about outside educational experience. Same jackass boss that by filing a claim with this same university to get his records, we learned he fell a couple classes short of actually graduating. So he'd been lying about having his undergrad degree his entire career (we got tipped off from a co-worker he went to college with about his not having graduating even though he claims the degree). Anyways, the program was about a year long program consisting of 5 required classes and 3 electives. Each class was about 2 - 3 days at about 4 hours a day costing around $400. I completed 7 of 8 classes, but the last class was only offered once a year and was required and I was out of town the two years I could've taken it. Well, they discontinued the program so the class hasn't been offered the past 3 years. The program is still in their program list but because of the economic recession and a huge downsizing of the industry, they haven't been offering classes. I still have to talk to the university some more to see if there's a way I can take some other class or something, but it looks doubtful.

So in keeping in line with this thread, based on my circumstances, would you include this certificate program on your resume or not. I haven't and don't really plan on it, but am interested to see if others would based on the circumstances I've presented.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an aside, how would you go about trying to convince the head of the department to give me the certificate?

I plan on meeting with her soon. She knows who I am as we corresponded via e-mail a few years ago about the program. I'd like to get the certificate for the sole reason that I invested a substantial amount financially in it, even if it really doesn't mean ****. I'm thinking of going 2 different angles...the first seeing if I can take a class in a related program and having those credits applied to my certificate. The second is from pure rational point by stating that I've exhibited enough already to have the certificate and that it isn't my fault the program is not being offered anymore...and there was no warning of this. I can state that I have 5 years of industry experience to go along with the 7 of 8 classes completed and in fact, one of my teachers was a client of mine and another was a traffic engineer and owner of a firm that I worked with, interpolated their traffic models plenty of times on my own traffic studies, and he was personally hired to peer review a traffic study I wrote for a project. So even though I didn't technically complete the 8th class, I have the necessary work experience to cover that class, and the university isn't allowing me to complete the program due to not offering the classes. What are the odds of this working? I think minimal but it can't hurt to try.

Last edited:

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Following your line of thinking, I know that many divisions will have a blank xxx hours for Independant Study or something of that nature. Usually, this is not done retroactively, but I do know that this sort of name can be a catch-all for a variety of things related to what the student is studying that doesn't always line up exactly with what's offered.

I would try to come up with a well thought up case and then bring up with person in high-rank or program director, preferably in person. If they seem leery initially, then suggest a panel discussion for your appeal.

If that doesn't work, find a third party mediator and appeal one more time. Perhaps appealing to the dean with the third party's help.

I wouldn't just say "fk it" and walk away from the work you've put in and then be screwed out for one final course they've not offered.

Can't advise about resume specifically, but see this thread.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Following your line of thinking, I know that many divisions will have a blank xxx hours for Independant Study or something of that nature. Usually, this is not done retroactively, but I do know that this sort of name can be a catch-all for a variety of things related to what the student is studying that doesn't always line up exactly with what's offered.
I would try to come up with a well thought up case and then bring up with person in high-rank or program director, preferably in person. If they seem leery initially, then suggest a panel discussion for your appeal.
If that doesn't work, find a third party mediator and appeal one more time. Perhaps appealing to the dean with the third party's help.
I wouldn't just say "fk it" and walk away from the work you've put in and then be screwed out for one final course they've not offered.
Can't advise about resume specifically, but see this thread.

Thanks for your input. The program director is who I will be talking with and the person that should remember me from correspondence a few years back. I'll try to get an in person meeting with her as like you said, this would be of greater benefit than say e-mail. As for the 3rd party, I could easily get the former owner of the company I worked at and PE who is highly regarded in the field. A simple phone call and I'm 100% sure he'd help me any way possible. I'm pretty positive I could also make phone calls and get former clients who are owners/associates of local planning firms that would vouch for me as well. The school semester starts in a couple weeks so they'll be fully operational then, so I will see what I can do.

I also scanned the university website to look at related programs and found one for green/sustainability. We had one class for the certificate I was pursuing about this so maybe inquiring about a substitution class for the one I can't take may work...or a management class cause I think that's the one I needed (or being that I've completed the necessary upper division business management classes at the university as part of undergrad). Maybe detailing that I worked as a consultant on a LEEDS (green) certified project and wrote a traffic study for the project securing them the points necessary (relating to traffic) to become a LEEDS certified project will have merit. After all, the whole point of the certificate is to gain knowledge and credence within the industry, and what's better at achieving that than actually having your name on and writing hundreds of documents that are public records and have been approved by the local/state governments within that industry?

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The university will likely work with you to find courses currently being offered to substitute for those not offered. The university wants you to complete your certificate, so they should be happy to help you complete the program.

As for the resume, there is nothing wrong with stating that you are enrolled in the certificate program.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it would seem that if they offer you the job and after you've been hired it would be unlikely that your previous date of hire would come up. altho' stating somewhat vaguely that you realize there is an error in your resume may be preventative maintenance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads