• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing advice to a new investment banker

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
dressing nice in banking is just a prereq, or does it actually add value like those numbskull HR people say??

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are meeting people outside your department or want a raise or promotion, dressing well (according to expectations) is always a good idea. Many people perceive it as indicating doing a better job (the well-dressed worker is assumed to be smart and competent, for example), and if helps form or maintain connections, it provides tangible value.

why18

Reaction score
Seen at the G20 protest.
tounge.gif

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3561/...eda72e1e7c.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...-a-banker.html

GQhustler

Reaction score
Bringing this post back from the dead... You sound like me two years ago. I REALLY hope you didn't go overboard with your purchases like I did back then. I started as a banking analyst at Lehman two years ago and idiotically went crazy with my purchases. I think I spent about $1600 on Hugo Boss dress shirts (most of which I retired after less than a year), I bought 3 pairs of Ferragamo shoes at full retail, and I think I spend another $1200 on an assortment of designer ties (Ferragamo / Hermes).

The only place I went cheap was on suits and bought 4 Joseph Bank suits (another HUGE mistake). Now I obviously no longer work for Lehman and regret how much money I spent on that stuff. If I could do it all over again, here is what I would do:

Shoes: Buy Ferragamo or comparable shoes on ebay. I do this now and pay much less than half of retail and this is a much smarter choice IMO.

Ties: Buy Vineyard Vines or Andrew's ties. Andrew's ties are great quality, especially for their $40-$50 price point.

Shirt: I did an online MTM order and paid an average of $40/shirt and I hands down prefer these over any of the $160/shirt Hugo Boss in my wardrobe.

Suits: This is where I would actually spend the most as this is the bigger investment. I don't have great suggestions here except to look on ebay or the sales rack for quality designer. Please just do not go with Joseph Bank or similar low quality crap. You will regret it.

I am guessing that you already made your purchases, but maybe this can help someone out who is in a similar situation.

As one poster stated, save your money. In hindsight, I wish I would have.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads