• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Champions League Last 16.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll call an all-England final, but I'm not sure who the other particpant will be yet...

grilledcheese

Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
Usually at this stage of the tournament a team produces a display that says look at us we are the team to watch.

I'd say ManU produced that display against Roma (Roma Fan, that must have been agony). It's a bit later in the tournament, but there must be no question that they are considered by the pundits (not to mention oddsmakers) as the team to beat.
BTW, Milan are through.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grilledcheese
I'd say ManU produced that display against Roma (Roma Fan, that must have been agony). It's a bit later in the tournament, but there must be no question that they are considered by the pundits (not to mention oddsmakers) as the team to beat.
BTW, Milan are through.

We have a big problem at the moment with our defence.There are only 3 fit defenders at the whole club as with now have injuries to Silvestre,Neville,O'Shea,Vidic and Ferdinand.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
Just got in from the game now,what a truly incredible performance.The atmosphere in the ground was phenomenal.I am so happy we have shown all Europe what we are capable of(especially without Scholes,Vidic,Neville and Saha).I know Roma can play much,much better but 7-1 is still awesome.

Saw a few scuffles on the way in and outside the ground the atmosphere was volatile and nasty,probably the worst I have ever seen.The Roma fans are only just leaving as we speak so hopefully that will rule out any more trouble.

Back to the pitch,the performances of the unsung heroes(Smith,Fletcher,O'Shea etc..)was perfect but again Ronaldo proved to me that he currently has no equal anywhere in the world.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Ah you're in Manchester. I grew up in Manchester and still have family living near Old Trafford - on Matchdays, I can hear the crowd roar when United score.

It was a great game, I've been watching the highlights over and over. I can't believe that we'll probably play Chelski in three 'crunch' matches for the honor of a 'treble'. Hopefully Benitez will pull something out of the hat but the scousers don't really have the quality anymore.

manicturncoat

Reaction score
To all over confident Man U. fans don't forget 1993/4 CL final when the offensive power of the Barcelona dream team was supposed to crush Milan. Milan in the CL is a team you can never underestimate.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by manicturncoat
To all over confident Man U. fans don't forget 1993/4 CL final when the offensive power of the Barcelona dream team was supposed to crush Milan. Milan in the CL is a team you can never underestimate.

Believe me I for one am not getting over confident.I said in a previous post that I would settle for winning the Premiership title and anything else is a bonus,and I stand by that.Our last CL performance against Roma was ok
laugh.gif
but our previous 9 were crap.(Roma in Rome,Lille x2,Celtic x2,Copenhagen x2,Benfica x2)
Although I will say if both Utd and Milan play at their peak I expect Utd to win.

Kopite

Reaction score
My first choice would be Liverpool/Milan final with Liverpool winning, if not Chelsea/Milan final would be alright.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kopite
My first choice would be Liverpool/Milan final with Liverpool winning, if not Chelsea/Milan final would be alright.

You call yourself Kopite,but a Chelsea/Milan final would be ok? Help!

Kopite

Reaction score
Well if Liverpool aren't in the final, Chelsea/Milan would be alright since I'm not to keen on Manchester United. But my best bet would be a Liverpool/Milan final with Liverpool winning of course.

strazzaque

Reaction score
It has to be Liverpool v Manchester United, please!! I support the former and grew up loathing the latter.

I'm also Australian, mean-spirited and openly plot against Italian football successes, club or country, until after WC2012, or the clean-up of its tarnished football image, whichever comes first.

So far, so good, with Roma's demise (overkill at 7-1, especially since Grosso isn't one of their players, but was kind enough to get relegated anyway...), and Inter yet again flattering to deceive.

I don't appreciate Serie A and the tempo they play at and, would be happier for Liverpool to repeat the lesson for Chelsea (adding to Mourinho's bleating), before taking on United again, who have been the best team in Europe this season.

Both potential opponents, Utd and Milan have their weak points- defenders for the former and a lack of match-fit attackers for the latter, but I'd rather watch 2 teams I see regularly than one with another match-fixing cloud hanging over its head- "[L]ast week the prosecutors still investigating the match-fixing scandal released a new batch of suspect matches and a list of individuals under suspicion. The Naples-based investigation has been ongoing for a year and has put a new shadow over calcio." (Sheridan Bird's Gazzatta dello 365, 17/4/7)

I'll make the case for Milan first;

Carra and Agger/Hyypia can cope with Gilardino and Pippo, but then you've got Kaka, Pirlo and Seedorf to worry about. I haven't appreciated Ambrosini's contribution much, but it comes down to not knowing much about the less heralded Serie A players. The Rossoneri's diving isn't convincing (a good thing, if you've seen Gilardino v Celtic), not that it matters. With Seedorf in scintillating form, they're more dangerous staying on their feet, with Pirlo hovering over dead-balls from distance, and Kaka closer to goal. With Sissoko's wayward legs chopping down everyone in sight, I would not want to give them any more opportunities than necessary.
We're lucky it's not Sheva and Crespo we'd have to face anymore, and Ronaldo being cup-tied also works to our advantage.

The Milan defence is also aging, and with Bellamy's speed, not to mention Gonzalez', our counter-attacking style could catch out many a Milanese, since deep-lying Pirlo isn't the quickest. Physically, Gattuso is the only one who can compete with Liverpool's strength. Technically, they're superior, man for man, though how Mascherano handles himself against the skilful Milan midfield will determine a lot. We'll let Sissoko and Gattuso battle for supremacy.

A back from injury Nesta is the best opponent. Maldini- a legend, hopefully on his last legs. I'm not sure how forward thinking Oddo is , but am guessing both he and Jankulovski are marauders of the highest order. Oh, and Dida is possibly the worst keeper at a top European side, not at all confidence inspiring, like what happened to Dudek, or United with Taibi and Bosnich.

And now, United; briefly, cos I'm technically done with lunch.

Vidic, the Neviller and Silvestre out. I was unaware O'Shea had injury concerns, but there you go. Not sure why Evra's not been starting either, and Rio has a scare recently too. Is there any United defender who's not among the walking wounded? 'Baked Bean' Brown and Heinze, the answers.

How a midfield like United's keeps playing well above the sum of its parts is what makes United great. Their forwards are not as high calibre as I'm sure they can afford, either. Saha is out, Smith and Rooney, or Giggs, Solskjaer.... again, not so intimidating anymore, but man can they play!

Ronaldo and Scholes bring it all together, with Giggs leadership and Rooney's unpredictability. We outplayed them recently and lost, but for the first time in ages it was apparent we could play at their level, and them off the park.

The opportunities for friendly banter and bragging rights are also immense and worth the risk of ending up with egg on our collective faces, in my opinion.

manicturncoat

Reaction score
Italian tactics are superior, that is why they have been so successful at the international level, certainly not because they were the most talented. Italy would love to have the technical superiority of the Brazilians and the Dutch, but they don't, so they focus on organizing themselves, defending and taking advantage of the few opportunities to score.
Aside from Sacchi's Milan, successful Italian teams are rarely loved outside their fan base because of this very pragmatic and sometimes cynical approach to the game. Yet their influence is enormous and I certainly see it in the very muscular counterattacking style of play used by Chelsea.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
milan & chelsea final. utd have a lot on their plate, whereas cl is milan's reason for being right now. they've successfully climbed up to claim (for now) the 4th spot for next year. i guess you could say the same thing about chelsea/liverpool - liverpool seems to have chelsea's # in the knockout competitions, but i've got a feeling that's about to end.....

strazzaque

Reaction score
Essien being suspended for the first leg versus Liverpool at Stamford Bridge is a blow to them.
His industry from anywhere on the pitch will be sorely missed, and Makalele is not a like for like replacement.

I'm curious to know how they'll line up at the Bridge:

Cech
Diarra Carvalho Terry Cole
Obi Makalele Lampard Ballack
Sheva Drogba

In the above line-up only Makalele is the addition from the team which lined up and beat Valencia.

The thing about Liverpool is, we've enough destroyers in the middle to neutralise Lampard and Ballack, from the brains of Xabi and Masch to the braun of Sissoko.

Reina
Finnan Carra Agger Riise
Masch Xabi Sissoko
Gerrard
Crouch/Bellamy/Kuyt

I'm quite sure these are the guys who'll play, with 2 out of Kuyt, Crouch and Bellamy.

One will play alongside Gerrard, off the main striker in a 4321 formation.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by strazzaque
Essien being suspended for the first leg versus Liverpool at Stamford Bridge is a blow to them.
His industry from anywhere on the pitch will be sorely missed, and Makalele is not a like for like replacement.

I'm curious to know how they'll line up at the Bridge:

Cech
Diarra Carvalho Terry Cole
Obi Makalele Lampard Ballack
Sheva Drogba

In the above line-up only Makalele is the addition from the team which lined up and beat Valencia.

The thing about Liverpool is, we've enough destroyers in the middle to neutralise Lampard and Ballack, from the brains of Xabi and Masch to the braun of Sissoko.

Reina
Finnan Carra Agger Riise
Masch Xabi Sissoko
Gerrard
Crouch/Bellamy/Kuyt

I'm quite sure these are the guys who'll play, with 2 out of Kuyt, Crouch and Bellamy.

One will play alongside Gerrard, off the main striker in a 4321 formation.

I admire your optimism but there is a reason you are 14(potential 17) points behind Chelsea in the Premiership.

strazzaque

Reaction score
It is a lot easier to be so when their best player is suspended, we've had their measure in cups, beat them most recently in the league and have been a thorn in Mourinho's hide since the CL semi of 2 seasons ago.

Compared with the other teams in the semis, Chelsea or Milan would have been the 2 teams I'd prefer to play.

Of course, I could not have predicted United's defenders would collapse with such regularity, but their forward potency worries everyone, I'm guessing, more than the others. (despite the pedigree of Chelsea's forward line- Drogba carries them and Sheva feeds off the scraps)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads