• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The one negative imression that I had of the SLKs was that they are a little feminine: am I right?
Are there any other similar hardtop convertibles that are worth a look?
I feel now that 2 seater is the only way to go: 4 seat convertibles look a bit elongated and bloated, and Fiddy cent should be the only person to drive one.
Edit: oh wow just googled a picture of the jaguar xk on the advice of someone here. Sexy as hell. Will have to check it out.
F type looks pretty nice too. Oh ****

the new ones are better, but the previous generations have given the SLK a very firm stereotype as a chick car. you might want to wait for the F-type as the initial photos are Aston-sexy, but I have a feeling they'll look ostentatious to you if you won't consider a Ferrari or Aston

alexei

Reaction score

I took my Jag on a 200 mile trek just today. Was great great fun.

I was interested in picking up an XJS as an extra car, but recently I'm torn between an XJS or an VW Cabriolet. I know; totally unrelated...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^I've always liked the VW Cabriolet, and wanted one in my youth, but then lost interest. However, given a choice between the XJS and the VW, the XJS would be it in a heartbeat.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if you are considering an XJ-S, google Kirby Palm and download his book on the XJ-S -- there is a lot of necessary wisdom there. The thing with the car is that you have to get one that hasn't experienced certain problems or there is a far greater liklihood of trouble in your future.

~H

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Aventador Roadster, come to papa

Lamborghini-Aventador-roadster-revealed-front-3-4.jpg

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, if you are considering an XJ-S, google Kirby Palm and download his book on the XJ-S -- there is a lot of necessary wisdom there. The thing with the car is that you have to get one that hasn't experienced certain problems or there is a far greater liklihood of trouble in your future.

~H

I'll admit, I have often thought about buying a Chevy V8 XJ-S. I could care less about the authenticity argument.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I do, but if you think that would be all that would be necessary to fix any problems you would be wrong, and I am a big fan of the Chevy 350.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loving those rims. They just fit with the overall look of the car in a way that isn't always the case in Lambos.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much it costs to replace those 335's on the rear.

Ty_Webb

Reaction score

I wonder how much it costs to replace those 335's on the rear.

I dread to think, but I'd have a quiet wager it would need doing fairly frequently. Top Gear had what I think was a BMW M5 on and shredded the rear tires in an afternoon and I would have to imagine that this would be worse.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I dread to think, but I'd have a quiet wager it would need doing fairly frequently. Top Gear had what I think was a BMW M5 on and shredded the rear tires in an afternoon and I would have to imagine that this would be worse.

I love wide tires on cars, even something like the X5 gains a great deal in appearance.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To be fair to the tyres, Top Gear spend 5 or 6 hours simply burning rubber by spinning the wheels. Even racers don't put that kind of wear on tyres because at leas some of the friction goes into making the car move forward. They're not going to be cheap to replace, but I'd expect a few thousand miles from a set, at least.

Ty_Webb

Reaction score

To be fair to the tyres, Top Gear spend 5 or 6 hours simply burning rubber by spinning the wheels. Even racers don't put that kind of wear on tyres because at leas some of the friction goes into making the car move forward. They're not going to be cheap to replace, but I'd expect a few thousand miles from a set, at least.

Oh I know. I wasn't suggesting it would be a daily thing, but an afternoon of "spirited" driving would put a pretty serious dent in them. If you actually have a car like that the price of the tyres (thank you) is just a number. A friend of mine at my golf club in the UK had a 911 turbo and his tyres cost £400 each and the rears needed replacing every 8,000 miles. 10p a mile in tyres (and that's just the rears). Depending on the rubber, the Lambo is probably similar to that, perhaps a little worse. The £400 is quite a bit out of date too. I wouldn't be surprised if it was $1,000 a tyre and every 6k miles.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was interested in picking up an XJS as an extra car, but recently I'm torn between an XJS or an VW Cabriolet. I know; totally unrelated...

I bought one of those Cabbys a few years ago for my wife to learn how to drive stick on. I think this one is the Etienne Aigner edition.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads