• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

KurtS90

Reaction score
My grandpa has a 1980 Quattroporte, I been thinking about buying (but it would have to be a daily). He's the original owner.

~Kurt

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If you cannot take driving with a clutch, sure, do it. of course the SMG is not an automatic with a torque converter so enjoy the lurching.

I have a bad left knee, so I prefer autos and M5 is a motorway cruiser in my world and not a track car.

What about a the new XJ?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

As far as I have read so far, the manual transmission that was offered on the E60 M5 was not adequate for the car. It is said to overheat when the car is pushed to the limits. Also, it was an afterthought by BMW since the car was criticized by the public for not having three pedals they quickly dump in a manual that was not developed to handle the M5's power train. I believe I read somewhere that it was actually the old transmission from the E39 M5 that was put in there thus why it was sub par. Anyway, forget the E60 M5, having done further research today I decided it is not for me. The piss poor gas mileage and high unreliability concerns have turned me off from it. Besides, I never cared for the E60 styling, though I thought the performance of the M5 would suffice for its inferior styling at least compared to the E39 and the current F10. I guess the search continues for a nice super saloon with an NA motor. By the time I'm ready there should be something that meets all my requirements.

E63 if you just want an NA bruiser 4-door with the kind of German car reliability you're used to. I like Quattroportes too, but they probably cost a dollar per mile in upkeep.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Because it sears eyes everywhere it goes with its infernal ugliness?

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a good suggestion, though I've never owned a Mercedes. I'm also thinking a GSF would suffice if Lexus decides to offer it on this new generation of GS. Btw, since you're in Japan, have you heard any news regarding whether or not Lexus will finally offer a performance V8 in this car to compete with the M5's and XFR's of the world. Speaking of Jaguars and Maserati's, though they are quite pleasing aesthetically, they're not for me. German or Japanese please. The only marque out of this realm that I really like is Aston Martin. I think the Porsche Panamera S would be a worthy replacement as well. I really like this car and they're very rare compare to M5's and E63, plus reliability should be better with the Porsche.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Because it sears eyes everywhere it goes with its infernal ugliness?

I've wanted to like the new Jaguar XJ, and on some days when I see one from certain angles, I do. But then I'll see it on another day from a different angle, and I don't. What I don't understand about the car is that it is supposed to be a combination of ultra-luxury and performance. It meets the performance criterion quite well, but it does not have updated technology and many of the gizmos that other cars of that stature have. The car seems to be lacking.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats partly due to their new philosophy, more luxury but less gizmo's. And with the family having driven quite a few jags and daimlers in the 90s (are those still called vanderplas in the US?) I wholeheartedly endorse that thinking, damn those things broke down a lot. Personally I dont need that many technical stuff in my cars, and thus this kind of thinking appeals to me..

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've wanted to like the new Jaguar XJ, and on some days when I see one from certain angles, I do. But then I'll see it on another day from a different angle, and I don't. What I don't understand about the car is that it is supposed to be a combination of ultra-luxury and performance. It meets the performance criterion quite well, but it does not have updated technology and many of the gizmos that other cars of that stature have. The car seems to be lacking.

That is not a bad thing. Granted, maybe that is something that the target demographic for these luxobarges wants but less complexity is good. When you consider everything that may go wrong with these systems and the future issues with parts availability and troubleshooting, nevermind the increasing isolation from the road and potential for driver distraction...
I won't even get in to the jokes about maintenance costs and having to deal with software defects in a car.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

That's a good suggestion, though I've never owned a Mercedes. I'm also thinking a GSF would suffice if Lexus decides to offer it on this new generation of GS. Btw, since you're in Japan, have you heard any news regarding whether or not Lexus will finally offer a performance V8 in this car to compete with the M5's and XFR's of the world. Speaking of Jaguars and Maserati's, though they are quite pleasing aesthetically, they're not for me. German or Japanese please. The only marque out of this realm that I really like is Aston Martin. I think the Porsche Panamera S would be a worthy replacement as well. I really like this car and they're very rare compare to M5's and E63, plus reliability should be better with the Porsche.

I can't recall the last time I saw a Lexus GS in Japan... haha. the old Aristo (2nd gen GS?) was cool and popular long ago because it came with a 1JZ, but the awkward looking GS after that - I think I've seen a small handful, ever.
I did see the new GS at the motor show though, and it's hideous. Drop all thoughts of that immediately and walk away.

You could also consider the S6, but it may come with some eyepopping maintenance costs you don't normally associate with a car that looks so boring... :lol:

Arthur PE

Reaction score
the new S6 and S8 eight are on the potential list for my next car, twin turbo V8 with quattro, an imo, Audi makes one of the best looking cars (if not the best, looks being subjective and all) and their interiors and technology are cutting edge...my RS4 has 65k miles and never seen the shop for other than routine maintenance and upgrades...

Arthur PE

Reaction score
it's the way I'm leaning
wait a year or two, buy CPO used (6 year/100k mile warranty) for 65 to 70% of new list, maybe 10k miles or so, same deal I got on the RS4
that way it'll have some history regarding any issues/recalls/etc.

Id do the S8 if you have the money.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

the new S6 and S8 eight are on the potential list for my next car, twin turbo V8 with quattro, an imo, Audi makes one of the best looking cars (if not the best, looks being subjective and all) and their interiors and technology are cutting edge...my RS4 has 65k miles and never seen the shop for other than routine maintenance and upgrades...

Considering the S8 myself, along with the MB CLS63.

Last edited:

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience, the A8 is far too big to be a supersaloon. My father has the RS5 and A8L and the combined experience is great, super luxury when travelling across Europe, but for journey time of less than 4 hours, jump in the RS5. I've not driven the A8L (age issues), but I regularly steal the RS5 and I couldn't imagine trying to stop a car that weighs any more in a tight spot.

Its very nice being able to get to 155mph when overtaking (not that you can in the uk) but getting from 155mph to 40mph when an old lady pulls out of a side road? For some reason the extra 3" of leg room, and 20ltr boot space aren't so comforting!

I know pricing is a bit crazy in the US, but here you'd pay a 30-40% premium for an S/RS model, and really its not worth it. Save the cash and buy yourself something else as well as a new car.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeKirk