• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carlo Franco

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcriswel
Now we're talking... this is a language Jill and Chuck will surely understand. Vote with your dollars. Are you willing to pay for their merchandise? What is it worth? List those ties on Buying and Selling and let's see if anyone is willing to pay. They say they are eschewing the drama on the fora. Fine! Let's let the market decide - yay or nay?

I dont see how the secondary market has any bearing here.

The discussion here is about honouring previous sales and trust in customer service, not the inherant attributes of the product.

They sold a product. People here (in particular) had a free choice to buy or not to buy it. Whether it was SF approved or represented good value is not relevant. What is relevant is whether they fulfilled on whatever promises were made.

Let's not pile on other stuff.

K

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
Why in the world would anyone buy from CF when you have Sam Hober, Fourinhand, Drakes London, Howard Yount, etc. all providing much less gaudy and better quality ties for cheaper prices?

...because with CF you have the added bonus of excitement in not knowing whether you will get the tie.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
More than anything, the disqualifier for me is the stupid name.

- B

Vox, what no sarcasm or disingenuousness? I am somewhat taken aback by the directness of your commentary (has the house boy somehow gotten ahold of your username/password?). In any case, I couldn't agree with you more (and furthermore, from Charles Franke to "Carlo Franco"....srsly?).

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Although I have a somewhat dim view of how well the ties have held up over time, I must admit I'm mystified by this criticism. Sure, some of the Carlo Franco offerings are more vibrant than your garden variety cravat, but many (stripes and pindots, for example) are perfectly at home in a restrained outfit. Each of the ties I purchased worked very well in a five-day-a-week work environment.

I'll give em that, there are a few less gaudy designs options but not many.

Originally Posted by taxgenius69
...because with CF you have the added bonus of excitement in not knowing whether you will get the tie.

laugh.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As per my previous post, I personally am a satisfied customer, but having seen 'where the hell is my tie' posts on here for the past two years - and indeed being one of the people that defended you guys for a long time in those posts - I think you do have a lot to answer for. So, when people who are aggrieved and were around at the time, have legitimate gripes and cautionary tales, then I am gonna let them stand.
pretty much how I feel. I've met Jill and Chuck, they are nice enough people. I have 4 of their ties. one is probrably my favorite tie, one I never wear because it is just too thick. the other 2 are pretty nice. I like Sam Hober ties a lot more, better value.

TommyX4437

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy

You guys were always good to me, and I am not one of your dissatisfied customers. However, it seems to me that you guys are handling this all wrong. No one is at all interested in excuses and explanations if they are not accompanied by an ironclad guarantee to make things right. There is no need for a long post about cancer (sorry to hear about that, and hopefully, things are well), Audrey joining the military, etc... See above. Really, that's all that is needed. Actually, more than that would only make things worse.

Very well said.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TommyX4437
Very well said.
good to see youre still around Tommy. IIRC they owed you several shirts and several ties, right? Pls keep the thread informed on how this is rectified in the coming weeks....

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarquisMagic
Does anyone really believe that Audrey was for real?????
Were you around back then? It wasn't the existence of a customer service rep that I think was really in doubt - I don't know if Audrey was her name, but I don't think it was Chuck in drag. The Audrey issue was that she started a 'im here, the world makes sense again' thread, a bunch of upset customer jumped in and said 'where's my tie', and a pile on ensued. Then a couple of 'leave Audrey alone, CF stuff is great and I'm the happiest customer in the world' posts appeared from a brand-spanking-newb, so I used my mod powers and IP checked it and guess what, it was the same IP as.............Audrey.

jcriswel

Reaction score
Now we're talking... this is a language Jill and Chuck will surely understand. Vote with your dollars. Are you willing to pay for their merchandise? What is it worth? List those ties on Buying and Selling and let's see if anyone is willing to pay. They say they are eschewing the drama on the fora. Fine! Let's let the market decide - yay or nay?
Originally Posted by VKK3450
I dont see how the secondary market has any bearing here. The discussion here is about honouring previous sales and trust in customer service, not the inherant attributes of the product. They sold a product. People here (in particular) had a free choice to buy or not to buy it. Whether it was SF approved or represented good value is not relevant. What is relevant is whether they fulfilled on whatever promises were made. Let's not pile on other stuff. K
OK... there's so much animosity going on in the forum over past transgression and general indignation. That in itself is an issue. Jill has articulated her intention to come clean, do the right thing, avoid the drama, conduct business in a business like fashion. I say fine, there's no need for all of the histrionics. Where does that fit into a free market? The question is whether they have a product and a channel that will succeed. That is my question. I submit we here on Style Forum have the ability to answer the question. First, all those who purchased product they never received - if they are made whole, then CF gets credit for that accomplishment. Second, do they have a product and a business capable of sustaining itself? I submit to the members of the forum this question. I sincerely believe it is a legitimate question. It is not a validation of a secondary market for seven fold ties. It is a question of whether a resurrected business with a besmirched reputation selling seven fold ties in 2010 is capable of success. I'm unclear on their objectives. From what I have read, they could either be relaunching the business with a fresh business plan and fresh product, or they could be belatedly settling outstanding liabilities to customers who purchased and never received product. Honestly, from Jill's communications, I cannot tell which of the two directions they are headed. I wish they would clarify this point. Let's assume for the moment, Jill is in it for the long haul. If that is their plan, then what better place to validate their business than Style Forum? We have several entrepreneurs who are selling here and elsewhere: Lance at Virtual ClothesHorse, Ben at eHaberdasher, Carl at Cego, Kirby at the Hanger Project, Kent Wang at Kent Wang, Jonathan at Four in Hand, Sam at Sam Hober - the list goes on. All of these people have done an exemplary job of starting up small businesses with online eCommerce websites. They have been successful. They bring products to all of us which we are willing to pay for. My question is this - is Carlo Franco for real this time? The only way to know for sure is to do business with them. Test them out. Put them to a stress test. E-mail Jill with your grievances and test the customer service function at Carlo Franco. Resell their product to test whether any demand for it remains. Buy new product from them if you see anything you would like to own. If you visit their website and see nothing of interest, report it on the forum. Tell us you are in the market for a high end tie, you considered Carlo Franco, you went to their website, and found nothing interesting. All of this has value for the forum and for Carlo Franco. It is a positive step beyond the hatred and invective which in my mind has no purpose at all.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
The Audrey issue was that she started a 'im here, the world makes sense again' thread, a bunch of upset customer jumped in and said 'where's my tie', and a pile on ensued. Then a couple of 'leave Audrey alone, CF stuff is great and I'm the happiest customer in the world' posts appeared from a brand-spanking-newb, so I used my mod powers and IP checked it and guess what, it was the same IP as.............Audrey.
yeah, I remember this episode and I conclude that was the exact moment Audrey suddenly stood up and enlisted in the United States Armed Forces. I'm hoping this "audrey" was never placed in any material procurement office there. man, I just can't believe how a proprietor with customer issues would just one day pack and leave and tell the market, hey this is Audrey and she'll be handling all the issues since at the moment we're (insert excuse here). I've handled small and medium sized businesses and for an owner to just say, hey sorry but the person who we entrusted to handle all issues with you, our bread and butter, have left and we never knew problems were left hanging until x years later when I inadvertently opened our website again is just plain unbelievable, or stupid, or both.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T

The Audrey issue was that she started a 'im here, the world makes sense again' thread, a bunch of upset customer jumped in and said 'where's my tie', and a pile on ensued. Then a couple of 'leave Audrey alone, CF stuff is great and I'm the happiest customer in the world' posts appeared from a brand-spanking-newb, so I used my mod powers and IP checked it and guess what, it was the same IP as.............Audrey.

I doubt Jill/Chucke knew anything about this..........

Jill has articulated her intention to come clean, do the right thing, avoid the drama, conduct business in a business like fashion.

My question is this - is Carlo Franco for real this time? The only way to know for sure is to do business with them. Test them out. Put them to a stress test.

Um...........lemme think.........uh...............no. Why don't you test em out and let us know how it goes.

The reason I find this thread so comical is that everyone is talking about CF like they're selling gorgeous 5$ prostitutes that do incalls, when in reality they sell neckties on the interwebz for 150$ a pop that some say are **** and others say are OK.

dl

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics