• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canadian universities social life

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfarmanara
+1000000000000. trust me. Nothing compares to the social scene at Western. End of story.

If only your academic scene was the same...
tounge.gif

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
Ok now you convinced me
laugh.gif

Go co-ed if you can. All guys floors have their advantages and disadvantages but co-ed floors are just nasty, and yes in a good way.

Histrion

Reaction score
I don't know how McGill's social life is considered but my friends who attended certainly had a blast. And the academics are good. And its cheap.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrome_dout
Go to U of T, study hard and get a good job, then go back to UWO and do all the girls you want.
smile.gif

Yea, because they'll all be really into 30 year old nerds.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrome_dout
Go to U of T, study hard and get a good job, then go back to UWO and do all the girls you want.
smile.gif

No thanks, UoT is for asians/punjabs who want to get a degree in computer sciences...

McGill is supposed to be phenomenal socially and academically.

I'm going to US for law school..that should be an interesting change of scenery..

premo

Reaction score
I attend Ottawa U undergrad and it's tons of fun. It's one of those things though, that you only get as much from as you put into.

I'm also transferring to the States, for graduate level. I'm looking at a few schools in California mainly Stanford and CalTech.

SeriousBusiness

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
This is going to be massively dependent on the school you attend. Where are you?

The big schools are going to have "townie" and mature student populations - kids who go home to either high school friends or families at the end of the day (UBC, U of A, U of T). It tends to be the smaller schools in smaller communities with large populations of out-of-towners that have party scenes - Lethbridge, Western Ontario, St. FX. Res should have parties wherever you go, as well as the sports team, but I wouldn't expect ragers with multiple bands and old guys doing beer bongs... that stuff is on its way out south of us as well.

There are fraternities at many or most schools in ON, as well as several in BC, AB, MB and even QC and the Maritimes. I was in one and remain involved nationally as an alum.

If I were you, I would have moved into res for first-year, to develop a bit of a social circle.

I agree 100%. I go to UofA, and the thing about it is, most of the people who go there were born and raised there, so we go out to say Whyte or Downtown with friends we've known for years, as opposed to people we know only from University.

Conversely, you have American universities where everyone is from somewhere else, and the people in your dorm become your new family.

That just doesn't happen up here as often.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
A good thing you didn't goto a community college, your be crushed even more. 1/4 the students are young single parents and the other 1/4 are the +30-40 crowd going back to college after working in retail/fast food for the last 12 years, and finally the rest are pro skateboarders or hardcore thug rappers. The joy's of living in suburbia/semi-urban west coast. No sense of community, lame ass parties (if there are any at all), and pissed off classmates ever where. At least you get semi-free health care.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TylerDurden
A good thing you didn't goto a community college, your be crushed even more. 1/4 the students are young single parents and the other 1/4 are the +30-40 crowd going back to college after working in retail/fast food for the last 12 years, and finally the rest are pro skateboarders or hardcore thug rappers. The joy's of living in suburbia/semi-urban west coast. No sense of community, lame ass parties (if there are any at all), and pissed off classmates ever where. At least you get semi-free health care.

Community college? Cmon I have some self respect...From the type of people who ended up going there (my friends, so not sure about the 30-40 crowd) they are the type of people you tolerate smoking at parties with, but not much else. If they want to grad in 2 years and keep up the conversations that all relate back to GTA, bong design, and that hot chick they were going to bang 5 years ago, it's their life.

And I get free health care anyway :p not that I use it..

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Queens is in ON - Kingston. Rather depressing city. However, again, I would venture to say it's a party school

That it is!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads