• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

can New Balance runners and jeans look good??

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Lol gotta fade my jeans and get the everyday wear in. Well aware of crotch blowouts though

not even that... jeans snagging the gears can leave you sprawled on the pavement.

It's nice to know I can disappear from this place for years and nothing will change.

welcome back. and yes, nothing changes.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not even that... jeans snagging the gears can leave you sprawled on the pavement.

How stupid would someone have to be for this to happen? I've ridden just about every day for the last 20 years around in cities from Tokyo to Toronto in all kinds of pants and never had a 'crotch blow-out' or snagged my trousers in the gears. You either roll them up while riding, tuck them into your socks or wear cycle clips. The latter may not be stylish, but they do a job...

Rincon

Reaction score
I can't say they look great, which is dissapointing.

I've always had these dream of having a sneaker that is possible to go running in but also can look decent with jeans/chinos + a button up.

I travel alot and it would be awesome not to have to pack a pair of running shoes in a carry on for such a specialized purpose.

ts18

Reaction score
I think there are too much people,being too close minded in USA.
Saying " that's suck" or not in certain way will just make yourself living A "small pond".
That's why The best items from USA are usually go to Japan first.
I personally like to new balance very much, especially the classic one, made in USA in particular.
They will be your "everyday" shoes since it just matchs in many ways.
You could wear in high-end way,like number-nine do(m1300jp), or goes to causal(engineered garments).

Many people in Japan wear NB with blazer or so.
Just do what you want man,.

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I think there are too much people,being too close minded in USA.
Saying " that's suck" or not in certain way will just make yourself living A "small pond".
That's why The best items from USA are usually go to Japan first.
I personally like to new balance very much, especially the classic one, made in USA in particular.
They will be your "everyday" shoes since it just matchs in many ways.
You could wear in high-end way,like number-nine do(m1300jp), or goes to causal(engineered garments).
Many people in Japan wear NB with blazer or so.
Just do what you want man,.

This guy has the right idea, but the OP was looking at only really ugly models.

Here are my Made in England 576 being worn with jeans

a5d81b19.jpg

and with cords

1Jhoy.jpg

I think the 576 is maybe the easiest to wear out of all of them, although people pull of some other later models in really cool ways too

ts18

Reaction score

a5d81b19.jpg

and with cords
1Jhoy.jpg

I think the 576 is maybe the easiest to wear out of all of them, although people pull of some other later models in really cool ways too

My first pair of new balance is actually a 576 made of tanned leather(uk made). And I had a great time with it for like 2 years before the sole is completely worn out. And i got a new pair of the exact model as will. Great shoes, but I found myself better with grey suede now since I always wear stuff in blue and they just match subtly.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think in almost every case a different pair of shoes would look better. That doesn't mean they don't have their place though. If you're going to be doing a lot of walking and just really need some comfy shoes then a pair of classic NB are one of the better choices I feel. They don't look great but they tend not to look as awful as some other options. I have one pair, the 1400s from J Crew in grey, and I like them because they are all suede and rather comfy. I don't wear them often but they are good to have in the closet. They usually come out for quick errands on the weekend or something like that but actually wore them to work today because it was hot out and I wanted something I could wear with shorts and short socks (and I work in a place were sneakers are the norm, I'm the odd man out for almost exclusively wearing some sort of boot or moccasin).

oh, and the shoes the OP posted as potentials are absolutely hideous...no, those can never look even remotely good.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

a5d81b19.jpg

and with cords

1Jhoy.jpg

Second photo looks okay but 50% because of the scarf matching it and the other 50% because you can't see the N. The little upturned snub-nose front of the sole, which is typical of running shoes, does not look good and is partly why running shoes typically suck for casual looks.

The first photo, simply put, hurts your case a lot more than it helps it.

Last edited:

kalye

Reaction score
My most comfortable pair of shoes.

http://counterkicks.com/2012/01/13/the-shoe-you-get-when-you-cross-new-balance-retro-with-minimus/

Beats my vans and jack purcells. I wear them sometimes after the gym with jeans when I pack light.

What I was really interested in buying around my part of the world for jeans were superga but i dunno where to find them. I saw them once but went back to the store and they were gone. Never followed up on where they still carry them. It was a chain store so I'm sure they're somewhere.

Royal42

Reaction score
I can't seem to find a New Balance dedicated thread, so, do 998s run larger than other NB models?

sillyboybmxer

Reaction score
A lot of NB shoes we do not get in the USA so you gotta shop overseas. One of the reasons I think people have a negative view of them and the reason they are an "old person" shoe is because the 991,992,993 is a Dr recommended shoes for people with diabetes.
A few of my favorites.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads