• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Camping Style?

Buickguy

Reaction score
I'd like to ask your thoughts on spiffing up my camping look.
I'll be doing some extended stays this summer and I'd like to do it with more style.
I don't do denim so I'd like to avoid jeans. Khakis would be better than what 95% of the camping populace wears but I'd like a slightly more polished look yet not be worried about every speck of dirt that might get on me.
I will be camping in a motor home RV so, it's not like tenting but I can't stand the thought of the retiree jumpsuits.
So, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Washable linen shirts, jackets, trousers and shorts.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't outfits like Orvis and Bean be good starting points for classic, somewhat stylish outdoor wear?

Buickguy

Reaction score
Thanks! I looked at L.L. Bean and found some good choices. Linens and light, good ideas!
For shoes, maybe penny loafers or moc type deck shoes?

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Buickguy
Thanks! I looked at L.L. Bean and found some good choices. Linens and light, good ideas!
For shoes, maybe penny loafers or moc type deck shoes?

That's what I've always worn around camp in the Adirondaks: linen shirts, trousers, and shorts. Bean's camp mocs might work well for shoes. I tend to use the opportunity to wear my Birkenstock clogs around the cottage/cabin and then switch to nice slip-ons for in town.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Washable linen shirts, jackets, trousers and shorts.

+1

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amlai
I just came across this company the other day, that seems to make some relatively stylish outdoor gear for a reasonable price: http://www.nau.com/
i like the designs (thanks) but i loathe the website. Edit: This looks like a good company and they have great return and warranty policies. Good find.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 words: Pith Helmet

That nau.com site is pretty slick actually, the site is frustrating though.

Buickguy

Reaction score
Thank You for the links. Very nice stuff there and I think I'll be getting some things from Nau.

You are right, I didn't specify what activities I'll be engaging in. In past years we had done only long weekends and one week stays various times throughout the summer. This year my wife and I are going for an extended RV tour of six or seven weeks. The planned activities will be varied and somewhat of an eclectic mix. Our first two weeks out will be at an RV type resort where the sites are small. Paved pads and charcoal grills simulate a patio under the RV awning. There may be some trail walking during those weeks if time permits but the main purpose of the stop that is a professional class my wife will be taking at a nearby university. This is primarily where I want my best look.

The next week is a wind down week set to be at a semi-rustic park where the only amenity afforded is electric power and we will be self contained on all other utilities. That's not a problem as we have done rustic before and I am no stranger the RV's systems. The main activity will be walks in the woods and some dutch oven cooking. The fourth and fifth weeks will be spent engaging in shooting sports.
We are both very well set with the outfits and gear we will need for that.
The last week or two will be visiting family. I'd like a relaxed style for that and could possibly recycle the look from the first two weeks.

Originally Posted by amlai
I just came across this company the other day, that seems to make some relatively stylish outdoor gear for a reasonable price:
http://www.nau.com/

You didn't say exactly what activites you'd be doing, but if you want some technical pants, something like this may be of some interest:
http://www.mountainhardware.com/Prod...&viewAll=False

amlai

Reaction score
Hmm... based on your description, I'd say that maybe something like a wrinkle and stain resistant pants from Eddie Bauer might be good. I can't say that I like the Eddie Bauer style that much, but given you plan to be in an RV for quite a while and would like to look good, I would think the wrinkle resistance/stain would be useful.

I also have a pair of pants from Prana that might be something you would be interested in. I wish I could tell you for sure which one I have, but I believe it is a previous iteration of their traveler pant (though it was a cargo style). I stayed in a tent for 7 days hiking and camping in the rain and found it to be very durable and wrinkle resistant despite the conditions. I thought it looked good too! Their shirts on the other hand... are a bit too hippie-ish for my tastes.

Prana's pant selection are online here:
http://www.prana.com/storefront/prodlist.aspx?style=4

But the other suggestions of linen may be more appropriate depending on what you are looking for.

jett

Reaction score
I don't mean to sound rude, but you aren't camping. You are staying in a small house on wheels. I would wear whatever you normally do and not worry about dressing like someone on an actual camping trip.

Buickguy

Reaction score
Jett, you are quite correct and that is essentially the issue. During past trips, it has been in more rustic settings and dress was a practical matter. This particular trip will include an RV park. Those are essentially vacation resorts, bring your own room.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads