• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scrwl

Reaction score
What treatments have you done? They look great.
I bought those used and they looked kinda beaten and blotchy. Revived with some no-name leather grease and darkened them considerably. For the next year I beat them to hell and back a couple times and treated with SnoSeal. At that point they had a nice layer of gunk and grease on them and looked like they were black.
Got tired of the lifeless dark leather and scraped most of the **** off with a dry rag and some cleaner/conditioner, might have been woly or some other Finnish bramd. They lightened considerably and I was happy for a while.

Last august I decided to wash them dish soap inspired by this video. Instead of Obenauf's I treated them with a light coat of Saphir Renovateur. For the first time they looked clean. The dish soap got almost all the crap off the leather but left the leather really dry. The Saphir revived the leather and left it nice and light. I had gotten used to sheen on cap toe so I brought out the old no-name grease and that with damp rag brought a nice contrast and sheen. Since that they've been my go to boots for when I go see some live bands. They've gone through litres of beer and imagineable **** during punk/metal shows but that has cleaned off quite well.

I do not recommend any of that haha. Ok, maybe the Saphir Renovateur.

Last edited:

BeedLam

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Could anyone tell me if the Katahdin runs wider than the Chippewa utility 1901M29. I have a pair of Katahdin's in a 9.5EE and they're wide on me with enough space to move my foot side to side a little, toes are also flopping about in them.

Then I have a pair of the 1901M29 in a 9.5D and they're to narrow, though mostly its accross my instep. They'd be fine if i didn't have to wear authotics. I am wearing them and they have eased off a litle but its pretty brutal and i know they don't fit me, i'm just hoping they'll give as i really like them.

Also have a pair of Waterproof Katahdins in a 10D and they fit pretty well with a little tightness across the instep but with their lining i figured they could be a different fit and didn't want to use them as a guide.

I wanted to use the Katahdins for general wear and keep the 1901M29's for dress ups.so my question is do i get a Katahdin in a 10D or would the 9.5D work.. do katadins have more space than 1901M29's and other chippewa boots?

Ordering from the the other side of the world so returns and try outs are a non starter.

Thanks guys hope that's follow-able for you.

Last edited:

Smitty2k1

Reaction score
Kinda kicking myself I didn't buy the black Katahdin's when they were on sale + 20% off at LL Bean (just on sale now).

I'll probably pick up the Katahdin's in a EE size but will miss the extra $35 savings.

How do you all find these fit? My Red Wing Moc Toes and Beckmans in 8.5D are too long and too tight across the front. I tried the RW moc toes in 8EE and the length was great but the heel was just too lose.

I've also got Allen Edmonds in the 65 last. 8.5EE is probably my best fit, 8.5EEE is fine but a little wide. Most of my AE 9D's are too long and tight across the forefoot.

matthewh

Reaction score
Kinda kicking myself I didn't buy the black Katahdin's when they were on sale + 20% off at LL Bean (just on sale now).

I'll probably pick up the Katahdin's in a EE size but will miss the extra $35 savings.

How do you all find these fit? My Red Wing Moc Toes and Beckmans in 8.5D are too long and too tight across the front. I tried the RW moc toes in 8EE and the length was great but the heel was just too lose.

I've also got Allen Edmonds in the 65 last. 8.5EE is probably my best fit, 8.5EEE is fine but a little wide. Most of my AE 9D's are too long and tight across the forefoot.

I've got both the cap toe and cordovan versions in size 11 and I wear the Red Wing moc toe boot in size 10.5 if that helps. I like the cordovan boot much better than the cap toe. I recently saw the black version and thought they were pretty cool looking. I don't wear my Katahdin's as much though since I've discovered Red Wings.

Smitty2k1

Reaction score
I've got both the cap toe and cordovan versions in size 11 and I wear the Red Wing moc toe boot in size 10.5 if that helps. I like the cordovan boot much better than the cap toe. I recently saw the black version and thought they were pretty cool looking. I don't wear my Katahdin's as much though since I've discovered Red Wings.

Thanks! Did you size up on the Katahdin's (compared to RW moc toe) because of the length or width? I think my RW's are a little long and a little narrow, so I'm trying to decide if I should go for the same size or down 1/2

matthewh

Reaction score
Thanks! Did you size up on the Katahdin's (compared to RW moc toe) because of the length or width? I think my RW's are a little long and a little narrow, so I'm trying to decide if I should go for the same size or down 1/2

My Brannock size is 11, which is what I usually order. For me its for length. I have narrow feet so typical D width shoes are always too wide. I typically wear thicker socks and like to have plenty of toe room so I seldom size down. I also wear the RW Chukka is 11. The RW moc toe is the only boot I've ever had to size down for.

derass

Reaction score
So I just finished reading this thread for care advice, and the overwhelming majority of recommendations was to use Obenauf's LP.

My question is: what do you use to clean the boots before applying LP? I've already worn mine for a year untreated, and they have dirt and salt on them. I am thinking saddle soap. Chippewa recommended Apache Cream for maintaining these boots. Bickmore makes Apache Cream, and their recommendation for cleaning Apache/distressed leather (which the Iron Works boots are made from) was saddle soap, so that's how I came to that conclusion. Seems to have worked well for these Iron Works as seen in this video:

I just didn't see many mentions of saddle soap in this thread.

I also find it surprising that so few people followed Chippewa's recommendation of using Apache Cream / conditioning cream, and chose to use LP instead. Any reason as to why? I have the waterproof Iron Works, so I am hesitant to use such a heavy waterproofing product like LP. I do like the darkening and patina it causes, but I don't like the idea of it leaving a waxy coating, and needing to be re-applied so often.

One final note, I saw a lot of discussion about sizing, so I figure I'll offer my experience. My Brannock size is 12D, and the waterproof Iron Works in 12D fits perfectly in length and width. I am able to wear both plain athletic socks, and thick wool socks with these boots comfortably.

Last edited:

SnakeDoctor

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I used LP on my Katahdins after following recommendations and it turned them a horrible very dark matte brown with absolutely no character that never went away. Ended up selling them.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I used LP on my Katahdins after following recommendations and it turned them a horrible very dark matte brown with absolutely no character that never went away. Ended up selling them.

I still like mine, but honestly, I had a similar experience.

I thought the Sno-Seal I used on a previous pair made them look much better (and allowed a little more of a shine) than LP, even though LP is a much more "premium" product.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads