• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buzz Rickson (TOYO).. & William Gibson

YoungM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy

Listen - there are plenty of reasons people like these. There are also plenty of reasons people may object to them. Me, my main problem with expensive kicks (for me, that is $150+) is that I don't feel as comfortable just banging them up, and this can translate into selfconsciousness, which, for me, is the opposite of being stylish. Your mileage may vary. And you may have perfectly legitimate reasons for disliking these sneakers, though your posts betray a great deal of ignorance. For one thing, there are many, many ways to make a shoe, sneaker or otherwise.

All this notwithstanding, it's asshole behavior to post in a thread just to **** on someone. Maybe you have a great point to make that is not complimentary to the subject matter. That is fine. But you don't seem to have anything worthwhile for discussion. If you do, please, by all means, continue. If not, c'mon man, no need to be a dick.

Major Respect. You always have an intelligent, polite response, while getting your point across perfectly.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
You are a complete moron.
Enjoy your time here, it won't be long.

Anybody who doesn't like your **** is a moron right?

For what it's worth, the shoes do look 95% like chucks. Do I still like em'? Yes. Are they really worth the premium? No. At least for me.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
Anybody who doesn't like your **** is a moron right?

For what it's worth, the shoes do look 95% like chucks. Do I still like em'? Yes. Are they really worth the premium? No. At least for me.

There you are... I knew you'd be back at some point with your same attitude..
I called the guy a moron because of his ignorant statement regarding footwear construction..
Which was then backed up by six other users here stating the same thing i stated..

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look nice, but what does William Gibson have to do with these (aside from lending his name, of course)?

naaaaate

Reaction score
Bill designs the line with/for Buzz Rickson..

I still can't get over how hilarious of a combo it is but maybe I only know buzz rickson from the repro style navy chambray type stuff. Has Gibson ever done any ventures into the clothing world before?

jbw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
There are labels and logos all over the outside of both pairs of shoes and the bag.

Honestly, this is kind of disturbing. The whole Rickson/Gibson thing started over a black MA-1 flight jacket that the protagonist in "Pattern Recognition" (book by Gibson) wore that he attributed to Buzz Rickson. The protagonist was psycho about anti-branding to the point that she had the Levis logo sanded off the rivets of her 501's. Rickson never made the MA-1 in black, but started getting inquiries from Gibson fans, and decided to knock off a version, sort of as a tribute. Now the thing goes full circle into being about very visible branding. Is it irony?

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbw
The protagonist was psycho about anti-branding to the point that she had the Levis logo sanded off the rivets of her 501's.

I don' t have the book handy but IIRC it was a watch (Casio? Timex?) that she had the label sanded off of.

Reaction score
^ maybe it is time for you to consult the book again...

:p

i am pretty sure cayce pollard would have an allergic reaction to this stuff.
i like it, though.

tahonng

Reaction score
Yup, last season we had half the line but we never put any of it online.. This season we're putting some of it online. We'll have the black M65 in two weeks.. we'll have the Navy peacoat from Buzz Rickson on friday, we'll have the gloves next week, MA-1 in November, and more..

What about the N1 Deck Jackets?

erbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
I don' t have the book handy but IIRC it was a watch (Casio? Timex?) that she had the label sanded off of.

I don't know about the watch, but I know for sure that she had the logo sanded off of the buttons on her black 501s.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
meh pattern recognition was no neuromancer (then again nothing gibson has written since has approached neuromancer)

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
meh pattern recognition was no neuromancer (then again nothing gibson has written since has approached neuromancer)

It was almost exactly neuromancer, like every book he's written since
rimshot.gif

I had no idea what an MA 1 flight jacket looked like when I read Pattern Recognition, I imagined it to be a lot more like the M-65 (though I didn't know what that was until I joined style forum)...

The Gibson / Rickson line M-65 is the sort of thing I'd jump on if I wasn't on a budget.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Buzz Rickson Navy Pea Coat - USN 1910's Model

Buzz Rickson has gone to great lengths to reproduce the perfect classic pea-coat...

The US Navy's original pea-coat was fabricated from heavy, 32-ounce melton wool and, up until the late 1930's, featured black bakelite buttons displaying an anchor surrounded by 13 stars; the 13 stars were derived from the original 13 states when the United States became an independent nation and broke its ties to England in 1776. The large-sized collar of the coat was designed to block strong ocean winds and the corduroy-lined side pockets helped thwart the numbing effect on hands from the biting winter seas. By the 1940's, officer's coats were redesisgned and the heavy melton wool was relegated only for the enlisted ranks' pea coats and the 13-star buttons were changed to the fouled-anchor design still employed to this day.

Buzz Rickson takes it back to their favorite era of the pea coat, the 1910 style with all the classic stylings found on the original.

These pea coats are now available in-store and in our online store, reorders on Buzz Rickson products are not possible, therefore once gone, there will be no restocks:
http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=361

BR-0-765547.jpg

BR-0_01-765720.jpg

BR-0_05-718609.jpg

BR-0_04-701098.jpg

BR-0_02-701055.jpg

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy **** - I just realized the William Gibson of this collaboration is the same William Gibson of my joyous adolescent descent in to nerddom. If I wasn't a broke student I would definitely be copping this ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads