• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup that they are.

I could swallow my pride on that, but dirt sand falling out was pretty gross.

My advice stands. You paid a "like new" price for those. I'd mention it to the seller and ask for a small refund. It's not like these jeans were advertised as well-used.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

just because it's not centered...?? picky picky

I was thinking more of the ripped cover. But I also take issue with the listing for advertising a recent label Spooner shirt as vintage...

Musicled

Reaction score
I was thinking more of the ripped cover. But I also take issue with the listing for advertising a recent label Spooner shirt as vintage...

Yeah, I should've mentioned I was just kidding.
Really though, how could a person think that was ok? Esp for an asking price that high.... Spend the 47 seconds and get it right.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honesty I am not 100% sure of the age.

Oh geez. He's a State Rep for a Midwest state.
While there is no hard rule on this, I would offer a full refund, but that's just me.

While there is no warranty implied or otherwise, they shouldn't have fallen apart like that. He's had them for 5 weeks. total.

If you're building your business for long-term, I'd rather have someone like that telling his network that he found a really good seller on ebay, than telling everyone he knows what a POS he bought from some ebay Shyster.

Not your fault. No obligation to do this. I'm just saying I would do it. I've got a pair of magnanni oxfords I'm sitting on because there's one place where the welt appears to be separating. I'm afraid that if I sell it, 6 weeks later, someone will step out of the frickin' shoe. I pick it up and bend it every few days, but for some reason, it makes me nervous to sell it, even though I glued that small part down.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How did the bottom completely fall off of both shoes at the same time? I've had things happen to shoes before where the toe might come unglued on one of them. It seems insanely weird that they would both just pop off together. Even if one of the soles came off completely, you'd stop what you were doing and buy a new pair or send someone from your office or whatever to get a new pair for the day.

marc roberto

Reaction score
Quote: +1 I would also refund it. That's how you get repeat buyers. I think hes telling the truth. My guess is that one sole came off and he checked the strength of the other by pulling on it and it fell off too.
He's a state rep though???? Don't these guys get paid enough to buy new shoes? Very interesting.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I should've mentioned I was just kidding.
Really though, how could a person think that was ok? Esp for an asking price that high.... Spend the 47 seconds and get it right.

Yes. Perhaps I should list the extra mannequin cover I have and send him the link?
biggrin.gif

I found that shirt because I was looking to see if anyone else had a similar shirt as the one I listed an hour ago. Mine is NWT, and I listed it for $60.

Reigningchamp

Reaction score
While there is no hard rule on this, I would offer a full refund, but that's just me.

While there is no warranty implied or otherwise, they shouldn't have fallen apart like that. He's had them for 5 weeks. total.

If you're building your business for long-term, I'd rather have someone like that telling his network that he found a really good seller on ebay, than telling everyone he knows what a POS he bought from some ebay Shyster.

Not your fault. No obligation to do this. I'm just saying I would do it. I've got a pair of magnanni oxfords I'm sitting on because there's one place where the welt appears to be separating. I'm afraid that if I sell it, 6 weeks later, someone will step out of the frickin' shoe. I pick it up and bend it every few days, but for some reason, it makes me nervous to sell it, even though I glued that small part down.

I feel you, and I didn't sell them for much, so I may go the full refund route. I had them for a while and looked over them thoroughly.

How did the bottom completely fall off of both shoes at the same time? I've had things happen to shoes before where the toe might come unglued on one of them. It seems insanely weird that they would both just pop off together. Even if one of the soles came off completely, you'd stop what you were doing and buy a new pair or send someone from your office or whatever to get a new pair for the day.

He said one came apart during dinner. He said when he got home he looked at the other it it came off in his hands. I am seriously mind blown.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel you, and I didn't sell them for much, so I may go the full refund route. I had them for a while and looked over them thoroughly.

He said one came apart during dinner. He said when he got home he looked at the other it it came off in his hands. I am seriously mind blown.
I'd probably tell him that though you're under no obligation to do so, building a clientele who looks forward to your weekly auctions is the ultimate goal for your online business and as such, you're going to refund. You appreciate him as a customer and want him to continue to shop with you for years to come.

I would then note that you had inspected the shoes and they seemed solid or you would never have sold them in the first place.

either my 3rd or 4th deal, I sold a NWT, still in the plastic Sir Pendleton wool shirt to a guy. He gets it and sends me a pic of 4-5 moth holes in the back of the shirt. I had no way to know that because I didn't want to unpin it and destroy the NWT packaging. When I saw the pics, I was embarrassed. I refunded the money and asked him to dispose of the shirt as it had no value for me. Without telling him, I sent him a brand new wool rich shirt in that same size and a handwritten note explaining how important customer satisfaction is to me as I'm building a store, and I view each interaction with a customer as an opportunity to improve my brand and my online reputation. I was disappointed that I sent something that was less than promised, so I went out of my way (over-rotated?) to fix it. He sent me a nice email and left great feedback.

All I could hope for under the circumstances.

I start with the premise that while people are looking for a bargain, most people are honest about it when they complain. The exceptions go on the block list.

I started doing this in September and opened my store in October. Plus, I don't depend on this income to support my lifestyle. I know for others this is a primary income or an important income supplement or contributor. So what do I know. Others with more experience will advise you better.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't you been watching the NBA this season, shoe blow-outs are common these days!
lol8[1].gif

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, if you were the seller in this case, what would you do?

I bought a pair of jeans on ebay, the guy sent them over and they looked fine. When I uncuffed them, a bunch of dirt fell out and there was lint and dust in there. It was disgusting. Thing is, I did this after I tried them on and they fit pretty damn well.

What do you consider a fair outcome in this case?
I start with the assumption that everything I buy on ebay is going to be cleaned before I wear it.

If someone contacted me with this situation, I would remind them that I have the hassle-free returns and I would point them to my terms and conditions that remind them that pre-owned items should be cleaned before wearing. I would not offer a discount. I think it is reasonable to believe that the seller didn't know the dirt was there or he would have already fixed it.

In fact, I get a lot of my stuff dry cleaned before I sell it. When I do, I email the winning bidder and explain that I've already had it dry cleaned so they know and don't have to do it again.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. Perhaps I should list the extra mannequin cover I have and send him the link?
biggrin.gif

I found that shirt because I was looking to see if anyone else had a similar shirt as the one I listed an hour ago. Mine is NWT, and I listed it for $60.

I was gonna do a happy dance, because I have the same shirt as in that listing...and had no idea it might be worth that much...which it apparently isn't (but it has 11 watchers).

Also, good luck to this seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERRUTI-188...?pt=US_Men_s_Dress_Shirts&hash=item35d2f8c9eb

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it has 11 watchers as a side effect of being on Ebay for about a year. I'm sure I've seen it before!Spooner started using that label around 2000, so don't get your hopes up. ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics