• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Building a 6-pack?

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chadley
My dad swears by this: when he runs steps or runs in the lake, he always wears a dusk mask over his mouth. He looks crazy, but swears that it works. Then again, he is a world class rock climber who has been climbing for more than thirty years and does it for other reasons than getting a six pack.
I think the reason for the mask is because he climbs rather than because he thinks it burns fat faster than without the mask. Being a climber myself, it is no doubt useful to use it as a more realistic training method but not for cardio. Please don't stop breathing when you perform cardio.

adversity04

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
Yes, of course one needs to get rid of the fat. No one who's fat has a 6-pack. But beyond that, a person needs something that will give them actual definition. I think of all things people are saying here, the point that makes most sense is you'll have to be dedicated, and face the possibility that it could take you longer than a year of hard, dedicated work to even get the potential of having a decent 6-pack. Good luck.

Spot on. People seem to want the easy this will work in two weeks routine when it takes dedication in both exercise and diet to obtain and maintain the body that you want. Lose the weight and build muscle, everywhere so you don't look like a fool with a 6 pack and nothing else, so that you have something to show once the fat is gone. IIRC I heard somewhere that at around 8-10% body fat you'll have visible definition, but that could be wrong or just a general rule and not applicable to everyone.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I've been targeting my abs for about 2 months now on a crunch machine, with 15 lbs of weight, 3 x 50 reps, at least 3 times a week and I'm slim (130 lbs) and a slight definition is just starting to show.

Jon.

You have added nothing of value to this thread. Have a six-pack requires two things: 1) Low body fat 2) Stomach muscles (abs) Some individual's abdominal muscles show at a higher bf than others. I know a guy who has a 6pack at 12% body-fat where as I only have 4 at that percentage.

SUPER K

Reaction score
"The ancient Greeks used to have a very rigorous training program which included bench pressing another person,"

what would they hold onto?

adversity04

Reaction score
I've been targeting my abs for about 2 months now on a crunch machine, with 15 lbs of weight, 3 x 50 reps, at least 3 times a week and I'm slim (130 lbs) and a slight definition is just starting to show.

Increase the weight, lower the reps and go faster
wink.gif
Also add other exercises as the body gets used to the same thing over and over. Hanging leg raises, the plank, etc are good
smile.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adversity04
Increase the weight, lower the reps and go faster
wink.gif
Also add other exercises as the body gets used to the same thing over and over. Hanging leg raises, the plank, etc are good
smile.gif

Well, I do other (ab) exercises as well, but all are sans weights.

Jon.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knucks
You have added nothing of value to this thread.

Have a six-pack requires two things:
1) Low body fat
2) Stomach muscles (abs)

Some individual's abdominal muscles show at a higher bf than others. I know a guy who has a 6pack at 12% body-fat where as I only have 4 at that percentage.

I'm unclear on how your post, given everything that has come before, adds any more value than Jon's. At least he provided some anecdotal perspective rather than just repeating the obvious (and already stated).

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I'm unclear on how your post, given everything that has come before, adds any more value than Jon's. At least he provided some anecdotal perspective rather than just repeating the obvious (and already stated).

Originally Posted by knucks
Some individual's abdominal muscles show at a higher bf than others. I know a guy who has a 6pack at 12% body-fat where as I only have 4 at that percentage.

There. (opportunity to rebutt lawyerdad don't presents itself everyday, you know
tounge.gif
)

Besides, as already said somewhere else, there's a reason ImageWIS attracts more trolls than other members. :lauugh:

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
There. (opportunity to rebutt lawyerdad don't presents itself everyday, you know
tounge.gif
)

Besides, as already said somewhere else, there's a reason ImageWIS attracts more trolls than other members. :lauugh:

laugh.gif

Dude, if you can't find something completely wrong in one of my posts at least once every day, you're not even trying.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Such as yourself...?

Jon.

Too easy. I need something more challenging...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads