• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown Shoes with Gray suit?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(marc237 @ 21 Dec. 2004, 5:33) I routinely wear brown shoes to court - federal and state- throughout the country. Â While the vast majority of lawyers I have seen wear only black shoes to court, a few wear very, very nice brown with blue or grey suits. Â I remember in Denver a senior partner type in a magnificent gray pinstripe with a light shade of brown broques. Â Worked very well.
Imho brogues shouldn't be worn under a suit. Doesn't matter what colour they are.
I am not sure that this view is univerally held. For example, from Flusser's Clothes and the Man: "The Cap-Toe Brogue The cap-toe, either plain or with a medallion decoration, is the most dressy business shoe one can wear, and for years this shoe has been the staple of the businessman's wardrobe. This lace-up shoe comes in black and various shades of brown. It is to be worn only with business suits of worsteds or flannels. In Boston it is considered perfectly proper to wear a highly polished brown version of this shoe with a navy suit, whereas in London it would be construed to be in poor taste to wear this combination. The Wing-Tip Shoe The traditional wing-tip or brogue shoe is a fine alternative to either the plain or the medallion cap-toe. It should be worn only in black, brown, or cordovan, and because of its heavy broguing, its wear can be expanded to include suits made with more textured fabrics, such as tweeds, cheviots, and flannels."

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Roy @ 21 Dec. 2004, 2:22)
Originally Posted by marc237,21 Dec. 2004, 5:33
I routinely wear brown shoes to court - federal and state- throughout the country. Â While the vast majority of lawyers I have seen wear only black shoes to court, a few wear very, very nice brown with blue or grey suits. Â I remember in Denver a senior partner type in a magnificent gray pinstripe with a light shade of brown broques. Â Worked very well.
Imho brogues shouldn't be worn under a suit. Doesn't matter what colour they are.
I am not sure that this view is univerally held. Â For example, from Flusser's Clothes and the Man: "The Cap-Toe Brogue The cap-toe, either plain or with a medallion decoration, is the most dressy business shoe one can wear, and for years this shoe has been the staple of the businessman's wardrobe. This lace-up shoe comes in black and various shades of brown. It is to be worn only with business suits of worsteds or flannels. In Boston it is considered perfectly proper to wear a highly polished brown version of this shoe with a navy suit, whereas in London it would be construed to be in poor taste to wear this combination. The Wing-Tip Shoe The traditional wing-tip or brogue shoe is a fine alternative to either the plain or the medallion cap-toe. It should be worn only in black, brown, or cordovan, and because of its heavy broguing, its wear can be expanded to include suits made with more textured fabrics, such as tweeds, cheviots, and flannels."
I think I can speak for a large portion of Europeans if I say that in general we consider brogues to be to casual for under a suit.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But that is the brilliance of it. It lends an air of casualness without sacrificing any of the dressy aspects of the last.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I can speak for a large portion of Europeans if I say that in general we consider brogues to be to casual for under a suit.
That is fascinating. Many Americans would, incorrectly I think, consider brown to be too casual a color for any suit, but brown. I am inclined to think that the brogue is far preferable to the kilty or tassel loafer, which many Americans find appropriate with a suit.

In any event, I think a good wing-tip or brogued cap-toe is fine and adds a bit of visual interest.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Roy @ 21 Dec. 2004, 5:18) I think I can speak for a large portion of Europeans if I say that in general we consider brogues to be to casual for under a suit.
That is fascinating. Â Many Americans would, incorrectly I think, consider brown to be too casual a color for any suit, but brown. Â I am inclined to think that the brogue is far preferable to the kilty or tassel loafer, which many Americans find appropriate with a suit. In any event, I think a good wing-tip or brogued cap-toe is fine and adds a bit of visual interest.
In London the only correct shoe to wear (so I've heard) under a suit is a black plain oxford. The Italians prefer brown in all varieties. But probably not as brogues. It's a casual shoe. In Holland it's especially popular with fratertinity type students. I honestly can say that I have never seen anyone wearing loafers under their suit overhere. I'm not partial to brogues, although I saw a beautiful pair by Santoni.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. I don't wear brown shoes, even though some of the most attractive shoes are brown, in my opinion. I myself am a little uncomfortable wearing brown shoes with a gray or blue suit.

2. Italians do it, and it looks great. (as do a lot of other people).

3. it can attract attention to your feet - you may notice that dancers often wear shoes lighter than their suits to bring attention to their feet. Richard Gere in Chicago wore brown shoes when dancing, I believe for that reason. if, for what ever reason, you don't want to attract attention to our feet, or break your vertical line, then you might want to keep this in mind.

4. a secondary tradition is not to wear shoes lighter than your suit. so they should be very dark brown.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if your wearing pair of brown shoes, brown belt as well?
I believe a belt and shoes should always match
smile.gif

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(dietcookie @ 22 Dec. 2004, 01:10) So if your wearing pair of brown shoes, brown belt as well?
smile.gif

Well, on this the European and American whole-heartedly agree. :)

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is fascinating.  Many Americans would, incorrectly I think, consider brown to be too casual a color for any suit, but brown.  
You know, this has me thinking.  I have an interview next week and I was thinking of wearing brown shoes with a navy suit.  Should I wear black shoes instead just to be on the safe side?

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm Mr. Conservative...for years I refused to wear brown shoes with navy but now I think brown is fine with navy and gray suits. As others have said, it's an elegant and sophisticated look.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, this has me thinking.  I have an interview next week and I was thinking of wearing brown shoes with a navy suit.  Should I wear black shoes instead just to be on the safe side?
I would advise it just to be on the ultra-conservative side.  That's just about the only time my black captoes see any wear.

dan

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It not only can be done, it SHOULD be done. Brown shoes look great with gray or navy suits -- especially now that suits are being worn more casually (with open collar/no tie).

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Roy @ 21 Dec. 2004, 7:13)
Originally Posted by dietcookie,22 Dec. 2004, 01:10
So if your wearing pair of brown shoes, brown belt as well?
smile.gif

Well, on this the European and American whole-heartedly agree. Â :)
I couldnt be happier. This is the first step to world peace
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads