• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxford Shoes a must with a three-piece-Suit?

Pascal1980

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I posted the question also in the old threat about the three-piece-suit:

Question 1:

Does one have to wear Oxfords with the three-piece-suit? I hardly get my high instep into Oxfords, and thus mostly have plain-toe black, brown, cognac, midnigh-blue and burgundy Derbies.

Also hear in Germany the Derby is most often worn with a suit, because derby shoes are sold in large department stores like "Peek & Cloppenburg", "Anson's" and others where the average office employee buys his/her wardrobe. These are usually all cemented shoes unfortunately.

Question 2: Also do you wear Oxfords or Derbys with Borguing together with your three-piece suit?

I am asking as I find the standard British Captoe-Oxford in Black plain boring. Rather a nice Adelaide, Balmoral or Quarter-Brogue Oxford or Derby is what I prefer, to wear it also with Chinos and Jeans for Business Casual and Smart Casual.

Best regards

Pascal

alfredt

Reaction score
I wouldn't wear a pair of Derbys with a three-piece suit. To me that's a mismatch of formalities.

Brogue Oxfords are perfectly fine with a three-piece suit. I wouldn't ever wear Oxfords with chinos or jeans though.

I too have a high instep and Allen Edmonds Park/Fifth Avenue fit me best from the Oxfords I've tried.

Pascal1980

Reaction score
Thanks Alfred,

Then the next shoes are Oxfords. Allen Edmomds is almost not available in Germany any longer. Hence Crockett & Jones or Shoepassion are easily available in Frankfurt to try them on.

Best regards

Pascal

JJ Katz

Reaction score
I *really* don't see a problem if the rest of the details of the shoe are formal.
For instance, the shoes below
shu2.jpg
shu.jpg

JJ Katz

Reaction score
It's one of those historically dubious, entirely arbitrary #menswear pseudo-rules/conceits that seem to have emerged only when these sort of garments fell into increasing desuetude.

Harwid

Reaction score
Personally I don’t understand wearing a 3 piece suit in this day and age. Too stuffy. I want to see more shirt and tie.

I think if you have a good sense of style you can break a lot of rules. Wear oxfords with chinos or derbys with a suit if they have the right look.

Jeff

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is customary in Germanic and Central European countries to wear derbies more frequently than Oxfords. Therefore, there would be nothing especially jarring about that. Plus, as pointed out by @JJ Katz there are distinctions in formality.

But yes, you can wear brogues with suits. That's a common American style. It also has been seen by prince William.

Oxfords are an ideal pairing with suits because they're formal shoes, but that doesn't mean they are the only such pairing possible.

Vizard

Reaction score
I wear 3-piece suits regularly and usually only ever wear Oxfords with the dark ones.

I have a couple of brown ones, with which I will occasionally wear a Derby. It's more of a country look.

Pascal1980

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

thanks for your detailed feedback. Actually here in Frankfurt, the financial city of Germany, hardly anybody wears Oxfords. Derbies make up by far the majority of formal shoes, because these are available in department stores and easier to fit at the instep than oxfords.

I really like my C&J 3-eyelet-Plain-Derbies, the "Hoxton", because of their sleek design and nice slim and modern English last.

I try a wholecut as next most formal shoe (except the patent leather shoe for a smoking).

However, I looked for patent leather shoes and most ones are actually derbies as well that can be bought at department stoes and online. Only the 300+€ shoes are also available as Oxfords.

Enjoy your sunday and best regards

Pascal

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

thanks for your detailed feedback. Actually here in Frankfurt, the financial city of Germany, hardly anybody wears Oxfords. Derbies make up by far the majority of formal shoes, because these are available in department stores and easier to fit at the instep than oxfords.

I really like my C&J 3-eyelet-Plain-Derbies, the "Hoxton", because of their sleek design and nice slim and modern English last.

I try a wholecut as next most formal shoe (except the patent leather shoe for a smoking).

However, I looked for patent leather shoes and most ones are actually derbies as well that can be bought at department stoes and online. Only the 300+€ shoes are also available as Oxfords.

Enjoy your sunday and best regards

Pascal

Avoid buying patent leather shoes. You will use them for black and white tie exclusively. There is no use for a patent leather shoe beyond that.

Pascal1980

Reaction score
Thanks JFWR,

I do not intent to pay such shoes. These most formal shoes meant to be originally oxfords or wholecuts are nowadays also available as derbies.

Best regards

Pascal

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads