• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Breifcase suggestion please!

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Asprey's leathergoods. I personally have a wallet, leather jacket and briefcase from them. Asprey

ballines

Reaction score
http://www.tumi.com/product....Details While not the most stylish, I consider this (and the other's on the website like it) the best for your purposes (based on your post, I'm assuming you are a junior investment banker, possibly straight out of undergrad). Holds a ton of documents and suggests industrious/hardworking as it is less ostentatious than some of the all-leather bags.

matcha

Reaction score
Comments on bags:

1. Leather only
2. Brown looks better than black and ages nicely.
3. No shoulder straps. If you must, use a detachable strap and only when you have your hands full, llike in the airport.
4. Regarding leather care for cowhide, use a neutral polish. A colored polish may rub off on your clothing.
5. I have a Renwick. Canadian. I think they're out of business. Was very pleased.
6. As mentioned, do you want soft or hard case. The old attache case is not very practical and looks silly to some people.
7. Tumi makes a good product in its traditional black leather bag but Tumi's brown leather is ugly.
8. Try to keep your bag and its contents light. Heavy ones aren't much fun to carry around, and thinner ones just look better.
9. If you're using it for your laptop, don't get a laptop bag. The cushioning takes up too much space, and who knows what laptops will be like in five years. Probably much thinner. Just get a soft sided bag and be careful. Get a thin laptop the next time you purchase a computer.

Just some thoughts in response to prior comments.

matcha

Reaction score
I mean to say I was pleased with the Renwick attache, not that I was pleased about them possibly having gone out of business.
smile.gif

housemaidsknee

Reaction score
Comments on bags: 1. Leather only 2. Brown looks better than black and ages nicely. 3. No shoulder straps. If you must, use a detachable strap and only when you have your hands full, llike in the airport. 4. Regarding leather care for cowhide, use a neutral polish. A colored polish may rub off on your clothing. 5. I have a Renwick. Canadian. I think they're out of business. Was very pleased. 6. As mentioned, do you want soft or hard case. The old attache case is not very practical and looks silly to some people. 7. Tumi makes a good product in its traditional black leather bag but Tumi's brown leather is ugly. 8. Try to keep your bag and its contents light. Heavy ones aren't much fun to carry around, and thinner ones just look better. 9. If you're using it for your laptop, don't get a laptop bag. The cushioning takes up too much space, and who knows what laptops will be like in five years. Probably much thinner. Just get a soft sided bag and be careful. Get a thin laptop the next time you purchase a computer. Just some thoughts in response to prior comments.
thanks for the detailed response. here's the bag i have tusting clipper it is supposed to be an oiled leather. does that mean i can't use leather cream?

Tom

Reaction score
I have had my tusting for several years now. I have hit it with saddle soap once, but that's all the care I have given it.

-Tom

Tom

Reaction score
This is what it looks like now. I use it daily, and I am very rough with it. I also use it as a carry on.
Picture311.jpg

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great leather briefcases that last for a very good price can be had at Lancaster. That's in France, however.

demo5

Reaction score
Valextra makes a very nice briefcase. They are carried at Bergdorf's (or at least used to be).

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My $0.02 regarding LV briefcases: LV is fine but please, please, please no monogram. Other suggestions: Piqadro of Italy (see here for some pictures) Ettinger of England (see here) Pickett of England (see here) Swaine Adeney Brigg of England (see here)
In agreement. No LV. If your boss is impressed by this, he's not worth being impressed. And no Italian stuff. Get something solid like an English job or an American job (Atlas).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads