• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Breifcase suggestion please!

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swaine Adeney Brigg for ever.
Unlike their owners, the Swaine briefcases improve with age. At the current prices due to the dollar's weakness, I agree with Giono that you must be prepared to own yours "forever".

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hartmann ab9. Thats the way to go. Good old american stuff.

Alt is tanner krolle.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a Jack Georges recently. It looks nice and sturdy. I'll report back in about a year after constant use and tell you how well it fares.
smile.gif

stripes22

Reaction score
I know this thread has been going for quite some time, but I have some questions:

1. Does anyone know about Lederer of Paris? They had a handsome bag, but I don't know anything about them. (There is a shop in Manhatten on Madison Ave).

2. Where in Manhatten can one find Atlas, Tusting, or Daines and Hathaway Briefcases? Its fine to see them on the web, but I'd rather see them in person. I went to several stores and could not find any of the aforementioned briefcases.

Cheers

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
Where in Manhatten can one find Atlas, Tusting, or Daines and Hathaway Briefcases?
Paul Stuart carries the Tusting "Clipper" bag with their own label on it. It is rather more expensive from PS though.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this thread has been going for quite some time, but I have some questions:

1.  Does anyone know about Lederer of Paris?  They had a handsome bag, but I don't know anything about them.  (There is a shop in Manhatten on Madison Ave).

2.  Where in Manhatten can one find Atlas, Tusting, or Daines and Hathaway Briefcases?  Its fine to see them on the web, but I'd rather see them in person.  I went to several stores and could not find any of the aforementioned briefcases.

Cheers
Atlas is made by a company in Florida, as I understand it. They have a site and might list some retailors.

And to wander onto a digression:

I like the Daines, Pickett, and Swaine cases that have the straps. Hartmann makes one similar, but I can't find an American company that has one quite like the English jobs.

A pity because, given the miserable US dollar, I don't want to pay the higher prices for the English cases.

I'd like to have one made. Anyone know of a source in the US that can make up a case?

Also where can I find more info on qualities of and differences between:

American belting leather
English bridle leather

stripes22

Reaction score
thanks for the suggestions guys. as for the Swaine, I concur--but I don't have the nerve to spend that much (at least not yet)...

Brian SD

Reaction score
I personally think that Hermes makes a wonderful briefcase with beautiful styling.
And wonderfully absurd pricing to go along with it. I love Hermes items, the leather is top notch, but I would be very hard pressed to ever spend the money on them. I am also under the impression that it takes several months on a list to acquire one.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1.  Does anyone know about Lederer of Paris?  They had a handsome bag, but I don't know anything about them.  (There is a shop in Manhatten on Madison Ave).

2.  Where in Manhatten can one find Atlas, Tusting, or Daines and Hathaway Briefcases?  Its fine to see them on the web, but I'd rather see them in person.  I went to several stores and could not find any of the aforementioned briefcases.

Cheers
I bought my Atlas at a luggage shop on 5th ave., but that was many many years ago. I have to believe that there are still lots of briefcase/luggage shops in mid-town that sell Atlas.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(LabelKing @ 11 Nov. 2004, 6:46) I personally think that Hermes makes a wonderful briefcase with beautiful styling.
And wonderfully absurd pricing to go along with it. I love Hermes items, the leather is top notch, but I would be very hard pressed to ever spend the money on them. I am also under the impression that it takes several months on a list to acquire one.
The list is only for the women's Birkins. There is a Japanese man who uses an Hermes towel to wrap his Hermes briefcase when carrying it about.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
I got a Jack Georges recently. It looks nice and sturdy. I'll report back in about a year after constant use and tell you how well it fares.
smile.gif

Is this used Jack Georges on eBay a result of proper care?
8eaa_1.JPG
I've been looking for a soft sided case because I feel that they're more stylish, but I think I'd just cry if I bought the below and it quickly turned into the above.
platinum_special_8415.jpg
Is there an equivalent to shoe trees for briefcases?
confused.gif
Or is it all just wabisabi...

etl

Reaction score
i was recently traveling home from the BVI and there was a pretty, young couple standing at the airport in front of me. Both were dressed up like a magazine ad: matching watches, LV and Chanel traveling bags etc. He had an industrial-finish aluminum case with oversized stainless (shiny) fasteners. All i could make out on the case was "Elite".

Does anyone here know who makes this? I've always been more a brown leather type but haven't been able to shake this recent visage.

bryce330

Reaction score
Originally Posted by E. Tage Larsen
i was recently traveling home from the BVI and there was a pretty, young couple standing at the airport in front of me. Both were dressed up like a magazine ad: matching watches, LV and Chanel traveling bags etc. He had an industrial-finish aluminum case with oversized stainless (shiny) fasteners. All i could make out on the case was "Elite".

Does anyone here know who makes this? I've always been more a brown leather type but haven't been able to shake this recent visage.

Zero Halliburton Elite series:

http://www.zerohalliburton.com/busin...inum/elite.jsp

I have a ZH laptop case that I used as a briefcase until I got my Berluti. I am very happy with it, but it does have a tendency to get scuffed, especially if you will be taking it on planes, etc.

The main line cases are very reasonably priced IMO and look a lot more expensive than they are. I'm not sure that the "Elite" line is worth the extra charge, since you basically just get a fancier lock.

etl

Reaction score
Bryce,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. It was the 3" Aluminum one that i saw. What you can't really make out from the images is how shiny and oversized the fittings were, which is a nice contrast to the dull aluminum case.

A bit Euro, but at least i can stop wondering about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads