• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: Royce Gracie vs. Kung Fu master

mizanation

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Wushu is basically an umbrella word for any type of Chinese Martial Arts. It encompasses the entirety of Kung Fu, Tai Chi, Chinese boxing, Chinese grappling, and etc. including full contact and acrobatics. Just to clarify that point. It is not "just acrobatics".

you're right, if taking the word literally. when i hear wushu, i'm assuming that the person is referring to the modern sport forms aspect which wushu is most famous for, and which jet-li has won countless gold medals. even his sparring medals are in forms sparring. i'm not taking anything away from him as an athlete or practicioner of wushu. he truly is awesome.

however, in a real confrontation, i would put my money on someone like cung le who is a san shou world champion (so technically, he is a practicioner of "wushu," although he is always referred to as a san shou fighter).

mizanation

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
^^ Word, whoever said it is basically "acrobatics" is incorrect.
confused.gif

Wushu literally means "martial arts."

I watched a two-hour documentary on Jet-Li last year and it gave me a whole new perspective on what I used to think his martial arts background was. The dude has a pretty impressive martial arts resume and has been in a damned ridiculous amount of competitions.......there is no way the other dude in the Royce Gracie video would "destroy him" as previously stated........the documentary mentioned how he spent most of his early life learning fighting styles from around the world, not only Wushu.

i never in my life thought i would ever be defending jason delucia.

but here goes.

i am a big fan of jet-li and i also saw the documentary you are talking about. he is awesome and one helluvan athlete.

but jason delucia (the guy in the video getting beat up by royce) is no slouch either. he has wins over ikuhisa minowa (amazing fighter), yuki kondo (current King of Pancrase), matt hume (submission master), masakatsu funaki (a legend, whom jason submitted), minoru suzuki (whom he KO'd), chris "lights out" lytle, and others. i know these names probably don't mean anything to you, but they are pretty close to the top of the food chain as far as mixed martial arts fighters go.

he is probably the MOST successful kung-fu/wushu/whatever fighter ever!

he's always been proud to represent kung-fu and he has never turned down a fight. i give him a lot of respect for that. he puts his ass on the line in the name of KUNG-FU (of all things) and more often than not, came out on top. it's a shame that those two losses to royce are what he is most famous for.

i think jet-li is great, i really do. but please don't underestimate the power of jason delucia's five-animal kung-fu!!!

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
that's classic seagal.

sorry to burst your bubble, but he's frickin' lunatic and an complete egomaniac. he's sexually harrased a couple of my friends. if you've ever seen an interview with him, he's completely out of his mind.

even his japanese sucks.

No bubble to burst. The stories about him beating the crap out of Kelly LeBrock and demanding casting couch favors from actresses are fairly commonly told, in contexts where the speaker would expect to get the crap sued out of them if he had any plausible basis to deny them.

I was referencing his "selective humility" that comes out whenever he is interviewed in MA-specific publications. He gives a stock "O-Sensei was a great man, I'm just a student walking in his footsteps" line whenever he is asked about aikido. I always assumed that was to avoid pissing off people at Hombu Dojo who could yank whatever dan ranking he has.

mizanation

Reaction score
^^^ funny, yet sad. you know, it's hard not to be good at aikido when you're that frickin' big. i bet he was tossing little aikidokas all day.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
^^^ funny, yet sad. you know, it's hard not to be good at aikido when you're that frickin' big. i bet he was tossing little aikidokas all day.

Just to point out that just because aikido is not particularly effective in "the real world" or in MMA competitions doesn't necessarily mean that it's easy to become a good practitioner.

nairb49

Reaction score
mizanation-I can't hold back the curiosity! Do you know Seagal via martial arts/singing(?)/film?

Or personal friends etc etc. Feel free to PM if Seagal has threatened you never to tell.

mizanation

Reaction score
my friend's cousin works for him (for film) and introduced him to a bunch of my other close friends in japan.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4dloacm.jpg

I'm going to take you to the bank, the blood bank

longhair333

Reaction score
yeah some of you are correct. there is a major difference in mma and a street fight. when you fight in mma your always ready. in a bar fight one person starts before the other one giving them a big advantage. another is have you ever been slammed on a bar floor or sidewalk. you don't get up after being slammed on a hard surface the ground is a weapon.
Royce Gracie rules

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads