• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: Royce Gracie vs. Kung Fu master

mizanation

Reaction score
goblin, very good stuff. thanks for posting that! btw, i train at a straight blast gym in new york. like you, i don't agree with everything that matt thornton says, but i agree with a lot of it...

Tck13: lol, about seagal.

yeah, there are cases where MMA fighters actually fight in the street and there are cases (the majority) where MMA fighters keep it in the ring.

lee murray is probably the best british MMA athlete. he gets into fights ALL the time. he is famous for knocking out tito ortiz in a bar fight. he recently got stabbed repeatedly in a bar fight and almost died (actually, his heart did stop once, but they got him back). now, he is under suspicion for a huge robbery. not a great example for the sport.
laugh.gif

frank shamrock is a great example of a guy who keeps his fighting in a ring, even when provoked or threatened in the street. he has many stories where he's been attacked but he did what he had to do and RAN!

hayato sakurai, one of the legends in MMA, recently got sucker-punched by a street punk. even though he could have easily destroyed the guy a dozen different ways, he just called the police. the guy went to jail and that was that.

i agree, avoiding fights and being aware and smart is the best self-defense.

mizanation

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bic Pentameter
Steven Segal supposedly studied at a dojo in Osaka for 7-10 years. I saw him on a Japanese television talk show two years ago. He appeared with his daughter. His Japanese seemed moderately seemed passable. He had difficulties, but I attributed them to him being out of Japanese mode for quite a while. It can be tough to maintain fluency without regular practice.

no, his japanese sucks. also, he is a "sukebe" and "chyo yarashii". if you are in japan, i'm assuming you know what that means.

btw, i'm a native speaker.

Goblin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
i agree, avoiding fights and being aware and smart is the best self-defense.
Wanderlei Silva, probably one of the nastiest one-on-one bastards in the world, was carjacked in Brazil a few years back. He quietly surrendered his car.
teacha.gif

I took aikido for a short time years and years ago, and I only still use a couple of bits - the breakfalls, and the philosophy of winning fights by avoidance or blending. Not so much in a physical, martial sense, but of neutralizing a potential aggressor's negative energy before a conflict has a chance to escalate. Some people call it "crossing the street" or "buying the guy a beer."
smile.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goblin
Jet Li ... he trains theatrical wu shu for the movies, not for the ring or the street. That said, I'm sure he's someone that the average hobbyist (e.g., me) would not want to tangle with.
That being said, he was also the broadsword, long fist, empty hand form, sparring, and all around gold medalist in the All China Games at various times from 1974-1979 when he retired (at age 17). Overall, a 7 time world Wushu champion in various disciplines. I would still like to see him v.s. Gracie. At least Jet Li can officially be called a "kung fu master" and I won't doubt his credentials. The guy in the video was a chump.

mizanation

Reaction score
Tokyo Slim, sorry, but the guy in the video (the guy who got BEAT by Royce) would destroy Jet Li. He's a successful full-contact fighter who has fought in Pancrase in Japan. Wushu, aside from being acrobatic, is completely theatrical. Even Jet Li admits this. But, it's a free country and you can believe what you want, even if it is a complete fantasy.

If you are in Seattle and want to learn how to fight properly, why don't you go to AMC in Kirkland? One week there and you will definitely change your viewpoint of what really works.

If you are in Shinjiku, there are so many good gyms in the Tokyo area. My friend Hiroyuki Abe (former #1 ranked fighter) has a couple schools. go to http://www.aacc-sports.com .

mizanation

Reaction score
Wanderlei Silva, probably one of the nastiest one-on-one bastards in the world, was carjacked in Brazil a few years back. He quietly surrendered his car.
teacha.gif

I took aikido for a short time years and years ago, and I only still use a couple of bits - the breakfalls, and the philosophy of winning fights by avoidance or blending. Not so much in a physical, martial sense, but of neutralizing a potential aggressor's negative energy before a conflict has a chance to escalate. Some people call it "crossing the street" or "buying the guy a beer."
smile.gif

whatsup goblin. that's a great story about vanderlei.

neutralizing is definitely a very valuable skill. most people don't know that it's not the same as being meek, which will get your ass kicked. it's a combination of confidence and making the other guy comfortable. many times, a guy wants to pick a fight because of insecurities. if you help him alleviate his insecurities, his reason to fight goes away.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wushu, aside from being acrobatic, is completely theatrical. Even Jet Li admits this.
I don't know any more than Tokyo about Jet Li's training, but I have heard that Jet Li is a very affable, humble guy, and is probably unlikely to be talking a lot of smack about anyone. It's not very Chinese to do so, and definitely not the comportment expected of anyone with any real skills (ninja skills, bo-stick skills, etc...) It's also part of "fighting without fighting" or whatever Tokyo called it.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's these guys at school that want me to be in their gang because I'm good with a Bo staff.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
teacha.gif

Only because the carjacker was Vitor Belfort.
tounge.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I thought Ken Watanabe was Ras al Ghul... no wait, that was Liam Neeson!

A fat, leathery middle-aged man with several women at the next table at one of my corner cafes this summer turned out to be Steven Seagal. I believe he was in town with his band, "Thunderbox". Betcha didn't know he had a band, huh?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
A friend of mine named his dog after Royce Gracie.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
no, his japanese sucks. also, he is a "sukebe" and "chyo yarashii". if you are in japan, i'm assuming you know what that means.

btw, i'm a native speaker.

Congratulations on being a native speaker [of Japanese, I assume]. It is pretty clear that you don't brook any disagreement with you on topics that you hold dear.

Steven Segal may or many not be sukebe or yarashii. I still think his language skills were moderately passable the night I saw him on Sanma Goten. You and I will have to disagree on that.

Bic

mizanation

Reaction score
lol, it's all good bic. just don't like the guy, he's been pretty shady with a couple of my close friends, that's all.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Tokyo Slim, sorry, but the guy in the video (the guy who got BEAT by Royce) would destroy Jet Li. He's a successful full-contact fighter who has fought in Pancrase in Japan. Wushu, aside from being acrobatic, is completely theatrical. Even Jet Li admits this. But, it's a free country and you can believe what you want, even if it is a complete fantasy.
Wushu is basically an umbrella word for any type of Chinese Martial Arts. It encompasses the entirety of Kung Fu, Tai Chi, Chinese boxing, Chinese grappling, and etc. including full contact and acrobatics. Just to clarify that point. It is not "just acrobatics".

Englandmj7

Reaction score
^^ Word, whoever said it is basically "acrobatics" is incorrect.
confused.gif

Wushu literally means "martial arts."

I watched a two-hour documentary on Jet-Li last year and it gave me a whole new perspective on what I used to think his martial arts background was. The dude has a pretty impressive martial arts resume and has been in a damned ridiculous amount of competitions.......there is no way the other dude in the Royce Gracie video would "destroy him" as previously stated........the documentary mentioned how he spent most of his early life learning fighting styles from around the world, not only Wushu.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics